• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
My god, this episode HURT. Dio's really gonna amp it up next week though.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Man, Koyasu really is the perfect fit for DIO(OOOOOOOO!!!!!), you can tell he's really loving the chance to let loose and ham it up to eleven. Of course, that pretty much applies to EVERY voice actor on JoJo and even the guys and gals of David Production too.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Very intense episode, extremely well done. And yes, Dio`s voice actor is wonderful hopefully he`ll be able to reprise the role with Diego. I believe They`ll keep this going all the way.

If we`re talking favorite part mine is Stone Ocean. Love Jolyne and feel it has some of the craziest stands. Never read Jojolion though.

One of my biggest problems for the old OVA was that it wasn`t crazy enough. This new version is so over the top and shows every part. So happy to have the best representation of a really entertaining story.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This episode really was JoJo at it's finest, in which feelings strike you as hard and unexpectedly as the characters beat each other up, and while doing so they fudge up everything around them.

No, seriously, the animation and direction were perfectly on-point, the only bit I'd change is showing more of Kakyoin's expressions, I know he is the calm type but more focusing on his eyes or on the pain he is feeling would have worked better. Also, changing the order in which shows how The World works for a flashback was excellent, it made the impact of Kakyoin getting wrecked stronger and helped to mantain the mystery long enough.

ORAMUDAS just started this week and oh god I can't wait for the next episode to start with that.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Second to last episode watched and. Oh. My. God.

That. Was. Freaking. Amazing. Gold.

spoiler[Already the episode starts great BY MAKING A TWIST IN THE OPENING COMPLETELY ANIMATED! INCORPORATING DIO AND HIS POWER! AND DOING AN ORA VS MUDA FIGHT!! THIS IS FANTASTIIC!! Probably the next and last episode will have the one with sound effects, but I don't know which one of those I would prefer!]

spoiler[And it didn't stop there: The super fast fight with tons and tons of amazing turns and tactics was incredible, Jotaro was completely awesome in both how much he suffered and was on the edge (stopping his own heart, THIS IS JOJO EVERYBODY) and that made his comeback spectacular. And Dio... wau, THIS IS THE DIO I KNOW AND LOVE! Crazy, over the top, smart and arrogant but also extremely insecure and easily frightened with an arrogance as his weak spot, amazing fighter and smartly coward at the same time... The part when Jotaro comes out of the sewers is the best thing in life.]

This was everything I wanted in a Jojo episode, I totally fangasmed this time. And there's still more to come and I'm biting my nails waiting for the next one! spoiler[Now I guess you are dead poor Joseph, but come on and give your last breath to beat Dio! And Jotaro, avenge his death!]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The final battle (B+ this time, A- last time) is fascinating isn´t it. Dat sewer death glare. Nothing makes sense but you can´t turn away from the spectacle. A bit like a Mortal Kombat match.
A further strong point is how grand the studio made their rather limited animation budget look here or elsewhere. This take is certainly the best adaptation JoJo could have asked for and Part 4 is a very different yet nearly as engaging read as part 3 and will work well in the TV form.
The staff teased it and part 5 (6/10) is the worst btw. as it is a rather pointless and unmoving waste of good ideas but all in due time if we get that "lucky". Next week there can be only one. Kind off...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Krey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

The staff teased it and part 5 (6/10) is the worst btw. as it is a rather pointless and unmoving waste of good ideas but all in due time if we get that "lucky". Next week there can be only one. Kind off...

Honestly, part 5 is fantastic and I hear it's the most popular part in Japan, so I'm really hoping to see it animated! DP has done an amazing job so far.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The change in the opening was so good. Loved it. The fight looked great as well and the pacing, music, all top-notch. It's really a shame that it's already ending next week.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Honestly what I like about Jotaro is that he seems really reserved, but he's funny in his own way. He's a dork, and an asshole who says incredibly dumb one-liners with a straight face.

Interesting comparing this fight with the OVA. Dio is alot more quiet and much more of a menancing presence. The fight is alot more tense and less hammy, there are alot less plot-holes and moments where you go (why didn't he do this?).

But the TV series embraced of the silliness makes the whole thing and is alot more fun.

Jojo kind of reminds me of a comic called Nextwave. Nextwave took superheroes and tore away plot and character development until there was only kicking, explosions, people in costumes posing for no real reason. Jojo kind of does the same thing with shonen manga. The only difference being Nextwave was a cynical parody, while Jojo is completely and utterly sincere.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I started watching this show a few months ago, and this is the only show that I actively want to watch every week regardless of what is happening.

I haven't seen the first and second season, so I think I'll just buy the DVDs and watch it in English. I wonder how they are going to pronounce "za warudo".
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dio is more muscular and less clothed than ever before.

But he's been wearing less clothes in all of his scenes barring the ones from the last 4 episodes. He's at least wearing his under shirt lol.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
Hope we get a special after-credits scene in the final episode. Just like DP did in the final episode of season 1.
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
It's a shame the animation was pretty shoddy this episode. Look at the part where DIO picks up the sign post and looks at his body throughout the entire cut. It's pretty bad, but expected of their low budget.
That being said, the direction is nice.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaand it's over now.

spoiler[It was weird after the first scene that pretty much commited that grandpa Joseph is dead (which was kind of funny at first because he pretty much just sermoned to his son and then sad because I thought he was gone) but later he returned, but it was funny how even at waking up he decided to fudge with Jotaro, and to be fair, who wouldn't try to return to life to adorable Joseph (even if in retrospective he didn't do much in this journey, that's my only pity about him this season). In the end my three favorite characters survived and their farewell was as cute as three manly stoic men could do.]

spoiler[The fight was also pretty good, especially the first half which has probably the best animation the show ever had (then it went more conventional), and it's great to see Jotaro in two modes he's never been before: Enraged ("You only commit one mistake. To piss me off") and genuinely happy in their farewell. Dio was also cool and his road roller was fantastic, but the way he died was... quick? And not very character-driven (except the "you still only think like a human with short time to live, not like me!!"))? He could come back though, if they bothered to resurrect granpa Joseph with so much emphasis on his blood, then I think he could return even if it is in his body (the two best characters in the same body? Sold!).]

So overall I liked this finale and I really enjoyed this show. I still prefer Battle Tendency, which was pure non-stop craziness, great pacing, freakin' young Joseph and awesome physical fights (personally the ending was also more amazing and emotionally rewarding); Stardust Crusaders' stand of the week formula did it a little slow and formulaic and not an easy show to rewatch if I want to (not easy to see in a row / marathon either), and many hit-or-miss episodes, but still has great parts, so it's my second favorite part.

And now let's wait for Part 4! This didn't end with a teaser, but this season was also a big success in sales and they said a year ago they would do it if they sell enough so I'm assuming they may do it in a few years, and Part 4 is also very highly acclaimed so cool!

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah... Going to agree, the formulaic "stand of the week" formula never did do anything for me. The first two series were so wild, and didn't feel so formulaic.

But Stardust Crusaders still did its own thing... And I really did enjoy it quite a bit once we got to Dio. I just hope that the later series go back to being like the first two.

Either way, I'm going to miss my JJBA. I really hope that they'll animate the next one really soon! That maybe a pipe dream, but I can still dream!

spoiler[
Joseph coming back to life joking as Dio was faaarrrr too convincing! And totally believable considering we're talking about a series where Joseph was brought back to life. lol]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11