• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hope Chapman wrote:
While Joseph may be funny, Jotaro may be badass, and Kakyoin may be intensely dramatic, Polnareff can do all of these things, and do them as well if not better than the other leads!

But is really Polnareff underrated? I always thought he was the most popular among Joseph! Both are the best characters clearly.

Extra points to the barber scene because of so many scenes showing how "he's not cutting Polnareff's beard enough!", I thought we would have a gross bloody moment in his face anytime and you were very tense (in fact, when it becomes static with just the sword near his neck "meh"). It reminded me (also with Polnareff, geez poor guy) when after being one of his legs cut by a doll without seeing it he calls by phone and the doll is in front of his other foot and the show decides to wait and builds to other thing while you think all the way through "it's going to cut it too! it's goint to cut it too!!" Mad
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Polnareff has the worst luck when it comes to being attacked in vulnerable spots, it's amazing how he hasn't been reduced to a nervous wreck, he's been attacked at a hotel, in a restaurant bathroom, in another hotel, while enjoying the apparent revival of his sister, and now when getting a shave at a barber shop. Joseph's decision to only go off as pairs is obviously something they should've enforced way sooner not that it's doing him any good with Jotaro falling asleep at such a terrible time.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Polnareff has the worst luck when it comes to being attacked in vulnerable spots.

And by that you obviously mean every single toilet in Egypt and/or other countries.

Polnareff is actually a pretty big fan favorite. People often consider him the most memorable character in Stardust Crusaders, even including the Joestars and DIO (though technically, Joseph and Dio already starred in different parts).
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
That episode was epic and now Polnareff became my favourite character and his silly theories and expressing any situation is priceless.

Also, the Arabic language used in medical bill at the beginning of the episode is pretty much accurate. So kudos to the staffs for putting so much effort into trivia.

Now this is real Egypt.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Hope Chapman wrote:
Unfortunately, because of its light and frothy nature (even by Jojo's standards!) there's not much more to say about the show this week.

To be honest, it's hard to comment about this show and not saying "omg that was so awesome and funny" and that's it, because that's kind of the purpose Laughing I'll say I didn't expect Avdol involved in all of this and it was great, although I think we still haven't watched again that many Avdol's traits of change of personality since he came back. And I hope Kakyoin in the background (like Avdol before) doesn't last long, he's not the best of the cast but I prefer when everybody is on action.

So far I'm liking this season way more than the first one, and not because it's changed its stand-of-the-week formula (although it will probably does later) but because these episodes are in their best form, especially in terms of comedy, if it keeps like this I will like this as much as Battle Tendency.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm not supposed to ask stuff like this, but why did the escalator stop holding him down when the power was cut? It's still metal. Very Happy

This episode again raised a question in my mind about Stands. Are they limited to seeing only what the user can see? I mean, they seem to inhabit space outside of the user, so I'm not sure why they can't use their Stands to peek around objects or get a better vantage point. And if they can see things hidden from the user's line of sight, can they communicate that? Is there Stand telepathy? Smile
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This episode again raised a question in my mind about Stands. Are they limited to seeing only what the user can see? I mean, they seem to inhabit space outside of the user, so I'm not sure why they can't use their Stands to peek around objects or get a better vantage point. And if they can see things hidden from the user's line of sight, can they communicate that? Is there Stand telepathy? Smile

It varies. Just remember that there is no hard and fast rule regarding Stands, as they routinely break the rules.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know I'm not supposed to ask stuff like this, but why did the escalator stop holding him down when the power was cut? It's still metal. Very Happy

It is metal but that wasn't what was holding him down, it was the wires. It is sort of a plot hole but I suppose the reason is that the magnetism wasn't that strong yet to attract a whole escalator.

The user definetely perceives everything the Stand does, although it should require a lot of concentration at discerning your own movements and your Stand's, especially if your Stand is a long-distance one. Kakyoin would be a good example, but a yet better example would be the enemy Red Hot Chili Peppers from Part 4, it is clearly obvious the user can see them through his Stand because there are many chapters in which it attacks the protagonists without the Stand user being even close to them in a 50 m radius (or even more).

Even Jotaro with a close range Stand can do it, as in when he uses Star Platinum's eyes with a binocular to see even further. Not every Stand can 'see' or 'feel' though, there are particular Stands (called Automatic Stands, I think there are none in Stardust Crusaders) that if hurt or defeated it doesn't directly affect the user and the user doesn't know what's going on in detail, just that his Stand is defeated. There are also the non-human Stands or Stands with no particular human features (such as Hermit Purple, Bastet, etc.), it is proven that the more human features the more uses the Stand can have (the user can talk through them, grab stuff, etc.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
It is metal but that wasn't what was holding him down, it was the wires.

But he was stuck to the escalator before the wires. Oh well. Smile

I was just thinking they could've had Magician's Red take a peek for them in the restroom. Non-Stand-users can't see Stands, right?
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to know Polnareff is perceived as one of the best characters in this part of the JoJo story (if not the best of Part 3); I always thought his comedic moments kinda overshadowed the fact that he's quite endearing and likable, with both virtues and flaws in his character.

So far EGYPT-Hen has been a fantastic ride, I only hope David Production mantains the budget in the final stretch.

Also, the additional anime-only scenes of Iggy-Polnareff are quite nice, even if spoiler[they're just there to pad things a bit and provide further anguish to those who've read the manga and liked Iggy. That's my only problem with the scenes with the dog in them. All my feels...]

As for Kakyoin and Avdol, I don't think they're bad or weak characters; in particular they do contribute to the groups dynamics and Kakyoin's fights are never boring...but indeed they do take a back seat compared to Polnareff or Joseph. Jotaro is usually hit or miss IMO. A good JoJo protagonist but not among the best.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh, not bad at all those two, but to be honest it took long to really dig Kakyoin for me (I think I didn't do it until Death's episodes), and Avdol until his reappearance. But Joseph and Polnareff are just too good.

I loved this episode despite how tasteless it was, as the reviewer said this kind of offensive humor is so bald and middle of the road back then that if you are familiar with it it's not shocking in a "agh what an insult that totally ruined my mood for the episode", it's more in a eyerolling "okay I'll try to ignore this one *shrug*", and the rest of the episode was so funny I didn't care that much. So much physical comedy, creativity in how the power keeps dragging them to more misery and hilarious situations, and great delivery on the over the top reactions totally made it for me.

However, despite how much I'm loving these humorous episodes I think we already had enough of them (so far we had 3 and a half [the half being Anubis's defeat] out of 7, I don't think the previous season had even one), so I don't know if the next episode will be this silly also, but I hope it will be at most the last one beause I wouldn't like to be tired of these episodes, a better balance of seriousness and comedy from now on please.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I think that's an overraction, the episode never made fun of them because they are gay, ti was the exact oposite, it was fun because neither paula abdul nor joseph are gay; it's the same as if the magnetism forced two gay characters to act straight so to speak; too abd we never get different gender couples in jojo to try and make a point.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason why this episode of Jojo's worked was because it wasn't necessarily tapping into a sense of "gay panic" so much as it did appeal to a sense of schadenfreude that comes with putting two characters into a situation so embarrassing that no one (gay or straight) would want to go through it.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Hope Chapman wrote:
JJBA has never had a stellar track record with female characters

Much like most battle shonens of its time... until part 6.

Last edited by IKKIsama on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
O-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
I thought I would add my two cents about the review.

I'm gay and I found the scene hilarious. I didn't take it as Joseph and Avdol were concerned about the integrity of their sexuality but that Paula's magnetism was putting them in some very compromising positions while people looked on. Also the only person to comment on them being "filthy" was the deluded old lady who misunderstood Jospeh's earlier advances when other women admonished him, not exactly a reliant source of "anti-gay" agenda.

As a counter point I find more dated sexist humor in Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 where often times LBGT characters were "punished" or treated distastefully in the narrative.

Overall I think the review may have shown a little too much sensitivity about what could have been a simple throwaway joke in the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11