• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
I think the humor would've worked regardless of the genders of Avdol and Joseph. Avdol and Joseph celebrating a tiny win that was 'closer to Avdol's character image' I think lends to that. When all these hiijinx started I expected the two to master the 3 legged race tactics and then it'd be pretty standard after that.

A big part of comedy is the unexpected, and laughing at other's misfortune. These jokes are great because they're unexpected and they're "OH MY GOOOD" levels of misfortunate. Every time you think it couldn't get worse, it somehow did. At the same time the not-funny drama of getting unstuck also escalated. spoiler[Avdol is so upright that he won't even back up Joseph's scheme about being the escalator inspector in public. Appearing to have outright sex or giving a blowjob in public is funny because it is against his image. Old Joseph Constantly has whole towns out to get him for various murders of locals (caused by other Stands), and lots of image problems with public displays of Buffoonery. He ran around town once getting beat up by his arm, remember? And after this, at the end, they actually just walk it all off and go get breakfast.]

Comedy is unexpected misfortune, in tiny or large doses, and this delivered very well.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
As others have said, the joke was obviously with a sense of schadenfreude instead of "gay shaming" or something like that. And about the use of the word "filth", I don't know why Crunchyroll translated that line like that. In Japanese, the old lady said: こんな趣味があったなんて。 The important word here is 趣味, which means tastes/preferences/hobby. The line should've been closer to "To think you had these kinds of preferences!" At least, as far as I know, using "filth" is too much for this sentence. Anyone else who knows japanese that can help?
Speaking of weird translation choices, they changed Bastet's name to Bast. Did they change the translator? Keep it consistent, CR.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about things like "sensitivity" or "tactfulness" or "taste" but I KNOW that the idea of Avdol blowing Joseph Joestar not even having to happen in a doujin is a glorious thing to behold.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
As others have said, the joke was obviously with a sense of schadenfreude instead of "gay shaming" or something like that. And about the use of the word "filth", I don't know why Crunchyroll translated that line like that. In Japanese, the old lady said: こんな趣味があったなんて。 The important word here is 趣味, which means tastes/preferences/hobby. The line should've been closer to "To think you had these kinds of preferences!" At least, as far as I know, using "filth" is too much for this sentence. Anyone else who knows japanese that can help?
Speaking of weird translation choices, they changed Bastet's name to Bast. Did they change the translator? Keep it consistent, CR.

The "nante" characterizes the "To think that..." in your sentence, but that combined with "konna-" ("these kinds of") ends up heavily implying that the old lady thinks gay preferences are disgusting. It's not so much that the translator was wrong. It's far more likely that the translator were trying to convey the lady's disgust at what the characters were doing, and thus, used "filth". In Japan (especially in anime), you hear "konna/sonna" and "nante" a lot, but as much as it might sound more natural to see your translation in subs, it's certainly also more natural to hear CR's translation being spoken in English.

In other words, the "issue" brought up with the line in this review still stands (no pun intended).

On the one hand, as a straight male who happens to like the color pink, I've had my fair share of people here in Japan still say things like, "Gross" or "Is he gay?", but I've seen a few guys who wear skirts in the area, so I assume the street commentators only really ever speak out loud because they don't realize I'm fluent in Japanese. Either way, Japan could probably use a bit more opening up on the subject of feminine men or gay people, even today when people are better at accepting others for their personal life. Even in America or elsewhere in the world, not everyone is up to par with liberal-esc (modern-esc?) standards of tolerance and acceptance.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if its 1991 or 2050, a dude blowin' another dude in broad daylight in front of children and elderly women in the middle of town is filthy as hell! the only people that are okay with that are pervs!
Selipse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
In other words, the "issue" brought up with the line in this review still stands (no pun intended).

I guess it is. I mean, I certainly knew the grandma said that with more negativity than just "that kind of preference", but I still think "filth" may be a bit too strong of a word.

Nosehair wrote:
I don't care if its 1991 or 2050, a dude blowin' another dude in broad daylight in front of children and elderly women in the middle of town is filthy as hell! the only people that are okay with that are pervs!

Hahaha, you're right! I didn't even think of that.
We don't know what may happen in the next 35 years, though.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Joseph Joestar and Avdol are actually quite lucky to survive this fight (thanks to Hermit Purple as well), given how the handicap they had.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nosehair wrote:

I seem to remember in the English manga translation the lady did indeed refer to it as 'hobby'. Though ambiguous it's not really offensive and certainly doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth like the crunchyroll translation.

{Edit: Troll insult removed ~ Psycho 101}
Selipse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
No, he's saying that any kind of sexual activity in public is wrong. It would've been the same if Avdol was a woman.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hate to agree, but yeah, Sethan Alessi is by far one of the lowest points in the Egypt arc and Stardust Crusaders overall, I had to reread it and the only highlight it's his downfall, and although it is satisfying it's like a poor version of Steely Dan's epic beatdown.

If we're lucky, david productions may shorten Sethan Alessi to cover the spoiler[Shooting Dio?!] chapter, and then having the full D'Arby introduction, one of the best highlights in Stardust Crusaders.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest. This episode is creepy as bad word. I knew what to expect, having read the manga first. But in anime form, it's too much. And if this were a newer series, they wouldn't be able to get away with this on tv in Japan. Again, why I prefer the OAVs. They filter out Araki's excesses.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
a totally mediocre episode in a series that is everything but mediocre.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
The main logic behind Alessi's stand power is to make another horror movie reference (spoiler[The Shining] in this case), but since it's been stretched out to be a 2-parter it won't be clear until the next episode. It's really as simple as that.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
{Your post has been removed for excessive cursing, telling people to F off, and being belligerent which are all not tolerated here on these forums. I suggest you post more civilly moving forward. ~ Psycho 101}
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Let's be honest. This episode is creepy as bad word. I knew what to expect, having read the manga first. But in anime form, it's too much. And if this were a newer series, they wouldn't be able to get away with this on tv in Japan. Again, why I prefer the OAVs. They filter out Araki's excesses.

If by excesses you mean pretty much everything that doesn't have to do with the plot then I'd have to disagree with you. Sure we got the occasional lame battle before, but I think there's enough good here for that to be worth it overall. Besides, every stand encounter after Alessi's is awesome without fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11