• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I personally wasn't bored by this episode, and like justsomeaccount and Iron Maw have previously stated, Hope seems to be forgetting/missing the information/foreshadowing about characters that has already been shown. I also thought Vorona and Slon's introduction was done more naturally than Ruri's and I found them quite entertaining. I'd personally give this episode a B+.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the first season and was looking forward to the second... so I'm surprised to find myself on the verge of dropping this. Pacing and direction is a mess (I'm really tired of the "half the episode is flashback" formula already), the characters all feel off-note (Shinra in particular, who is just plain irritating in this season) and the story, such as it is, lacks any tension.

It feels like it wrapped up its character arcs in its first season, so now it's just shuffling the pieces around a bit and throwing in a few (fairly limp) new characters. I know the light novels didn't stop where the first season did, but in all honesty, there are times when an adaptation needs to call it a day.

If the next episode isn't better, I'm dropping this.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with the disappointment with the renewal of the threat to the Dollars. With all due respect to justsomeaccount, I don't find his contention that "things are different" this time to be persuasive in the least. New day, new gang threat, same old crap.

The problem is different, but I also said the "feeling" and weight of the problem doesn't seem to and it feels like "other minor issue more", that's the problem for me. I trust the show to take it into different directions because in theory is different and the idea of Dollars still has many possibilities, but I hope it's not being "trying to stretch a concept that already wore out its welcome", I hope it goes ballsy.

Iron Maw wrote:
Also if you think that Celty getting beheaded to was to induce fear about her safety into audience rather surprise that she was attacked out of blue like that you, then that scene flew over your head.

The surprise was more in the previous episode, here they focus so much into that scene and with Celty's narration that is sort of "WOW NOW I'M NOT NORMAL I'M ABNORMAL THIS ATTACK MADE ME THINK ABOUT MY TRIVIAL LIFE DURING A FEW SECONDS AND NOW IT'S GONE BECAUSE NOW I'M ABNORMAL", and not in a fearful comedic way like when she was attacked by Saika. It feels like it has a bigger weight for the character or the fact they did it than other thing, and it's a little head-scratching that way because you are like "... okay, dat sucks, but it doesn't seem you are that bad and it's not the first time this happened to you". Not that doesn't make sense or it will play out later, but it feels a little overfocused.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I agree with the disappointment with the renewal of the threat to the Dollars. With all due respect to justsomeaccount, I don't find his contention that "things are different" this time to be persuasive in the least. New day, new gang threat, same old crap.

Really now? So where in S1 did the Dollars ever attack anyone? Because sounds like they are the threat this time. So no it's completely different, just there is conflict between two groups does not make a rehash. By that logic all wars in through history is the same because most of them involved people fighting. Yes just ignore the participants, motives, time and rest of those essential elements.

First, we don't know the Dollars have attacked anyone. They were accused of that the first time around, too, and it turned out to be bullshit, remember? But even if it is true this time, how does that make this conflict "completely different?" We're still dealing with a dynamic where Mikado, as the leader of the Dollars, has to try and stop a gang war. It's as if we were watching a show about a teacher and one of his arcs was about helping a female student who has an unplanned pregnancy and then his next arc he's helping a male student who has unexpectedly become a father. Sure, the details are different but the topic is still teen pregnancy.

Iron Maw wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Oh and wasn't the big realization at the end of the first season that Mikado, Anri and Masaomi made things worse by not talking to each other? They didn't want to worry their friends so they kept their secrets inside, blah-blah-blah. So what does Mikado do in the last eppie? Decides not to tell Anri whats going on so as "not to worry" her. Whee, I just love characters who learn from their mistakes. Rolling Eyes

...Except know little fact this has nothing to do Anri? What could even if he told her? Nevermind that herself has yet tell him about Saika. But silly me, you think it's the same as last time so talking to Anri somehow magically end things. Yep. Neutral

Well, setting aside your lame snotty attitude that shows me your emotional attachment to the show overwhelms whatever analytical ability you might have, you seem to be missing my point. When we tell our best friends things that are troubling us, we don't know if they'll be able to help us or not (other than offering moral support). That doesn't matter. The lesson is it is better not to keep your problems bottled up inside - and who knows, maybe your friends actually will be able to help in a tangible way. So as you point out, Anri hasn't confided in Mikado yet, he continues not to confide in her and Masaomi is off in hiding somewhere. Sounds a lot like none of them learned the lesson about reaching out to friends to me.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

First, we don't know the Dollars have attacked anyone. They were accused of that the first time around, too, and it turned out to be bullshit, remember? But even if it is true this time, how does that make this conflict "completely different?" We're still dealing with a dynamic where Mikado, as the leader of the Dollars, has to try and stop a gang war. It's as if we were watching a show about a teacher and one of his arcs was about helping a female student who has an unplanned pregnancy and then his next arc he's helping a male student who has unexpectedly become a father. Sure, the details are different but the topic is still teen pregnancy.

It doesn't matter if we know if Dollars were actually behind or not. The point is they are capable of it, and marks the the first time the group has deviated from Mikados ideals, hence Izaya's question to him. If you were actually paying attention instead of being dismissive about everything it's being fairly obvious part of this arc is dealing how far can "order" in an anachronistic organization like the Dollars can go before itself becomes a danger. The beef with Toramaru no more than vehicle to explore that.

And no the Slasher stuff bullshit because there was no evidence (just fear mongering and rumors) and there several unrelated incidents to this. Also unlike the Yellow Scarves, Toramaru didn't even any hostiles with Dollars prior. Not to mention the incident that sparked this happened in a different city to begin with. Mikado and Chikage don't even know each other exist let alone either one is the head of their groups. Things here are clearly playing out differently about this conflict, and just because you choose to remain willfully ignorant about it complaining about pointless things doesn't change that fact.

Quote:
Well, setting aside your lame snotty attitude that shows me your emotional attachment to the show overwhelms whatever analytical ability you might have, you seem to be missing my point. When we tell our best friends things that are troubling us, we don't know if they'll be able to help us or not (other than offering moral support). That doesn't matter. The lesson is it is better not to keep your problems bottled up inside - and who knows, maybe your friends actually will be able to help in a tangible way. So as you point out, Anri hasn't confided in Mikado yet, he continues not to confide in her and Masaomi is off in hiding somewhere. Sounds a lot like none of them learned the lesson about reaching out to friends to me.

The only one with snotty attributed here is you since your insinuating that because I like something and you don't your opinion isn't doesn't have bias. And nice job dodging my question. You seemed misunderstood between why the trio had their problems to in first season and why doesn't apply here. The reason that Mikado and co kept secrets from each other was they to busy suspecting one another (thanks to Izaya) about their identities and fear that their relationships would be destroyed once the truth came out. This has nothing to do what is going on here.

Just because Mikado and Anri have are agreed to talked how each of them where involved Yellow Scarves and Saika incidents when Kida returns to Ikebukuro does not mean going tell each other every little thing. Even people who trust heavily still keep secrets. Mikado simply doesn't want to trouble her over something that doesn't concern her. Especially if there is danger in it. For him this his own problem and what minimize danger from spread to people who cares about.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 grade: B

This episode introduced even more intrigue and new elements to the already convoluted story/plot. I do not really mind the chaotic nature, but this episode was not that strong because it rehashed material from the last episode.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Uups, too soon to post this. Filling this with spoiler tags until the review is posted. Edit 2: Okay, out.

I don't know what to think of this episode, it was a weird mix. When at first the two persons at Russia talked it was dull as hell (even for me), but when they went to Varona's backstory it was fine, I guess it was also thrown a little too soon to reaaally care about her, but well, *insert 'still better than Ruri' tag* and at least now she has a conflict fearing Anri and Celty (I'll assume either their boss or Shingen wanted Anri). Not particulary exciting, it was okay. I wonder if Anri will be the link for the gang issue and the criminal org issue to be mixed.

What I said, Mikado and Izaya's conversation went more about "the future of the Dollars and Mikado" instead of solving some misunderstanding. But by their conversation I still don't have clear what direction it will take with him or the Dollars, the conversation hints it cannot be a happy status quo anymore but I don't know whether it will be exciting to watch or not, I guess it will be since Izaya is influencing him (without Mikado realizing, LOL Izaya good guy, he calls good person even to Seiji) and he wanted to manipulate them and change them in the ways he wants (remember his speech two episodes ago). And I hope Aoba's intervention also moves things in an intesresting direction.

I can watch this show with this more calmed down pacing but it's clear it has production issues. The pacing still can be a little hooky (they didn't even cut to black at the end of the episode of how compressed it was), the animation was reaaaally low this time (I guess they are distributing the budget and time for all the three seasons but wow was low here), there is a lot of talking heads andthe overall narrations of each episode in this season feels less natural and more forced, and I wonder if it is because it's like this in the novel, or it's because they wanted to keep the style of the first season but here it doesn't fit very well.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Uups, too soon to post this.

Don't worry. I used to wait for the latest episode review to be posted, but lately, they have been posted until Mondays. I do not like to wait that long.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
I can watch this show with this more calmed down pacing but it's clear it has production issues. The pacing still can be a little hooky (they didn't even cut to black at the end of the episode of how compressed it was), the animation was reaaaally low this time (I guess they are distributing the budget and time for all the three seasons but wow was low here), there is a lot of talking heads andthe overall narrations of each episode in this season feels less natural and more forced, and I wonder if it is because it's like this in the novel, or it's because they wanted to keep the style of the first season but here it doesn't fit very well.

Though I don't see as many flaws as others, I do see where everyone is coming from. I decided to check out some of the novels, and at the very least I can say that the quality remains more or less the same in each volume, so at the very least I wouldn't fault the novel (though it does have a different set of, albeit minor, flaws).
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I think Hope's analysis of Vorona and Mikadao' characters and their potential future trajectories was spot-on. And I also hope the dip in animation quality this episode was a one time thing because they are giving some future episode(s) a higher than average budget.
As for who hired Vorona to neutralize (not kill) Anri that wasn't revealed yet, but it was spoiler[Izaya] IIRC.
I think a B is a fair grade for this episode (if the animation had been better I think it would have merited a B+/A-).
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Why did it seem like Egor was meeting Simon and Dennis for the first time despite him going to Russia Sushi to get bandaged? I realize Egor didn't go there under his own power the first time, but walking up to Simon, whom he'd met before, and asking if he was at Russia Sushi was very awkward.

The bit about why the Russians sound like they're speaking English or Japanese felt like something out of Hellsing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
I can't put my finger on why, but I was a little bored with the Russian part and Vorona's backstory. It just didn't grab me.

Lots of assassins running around. 3 Russian assassins and a loli wanabe assassin.

So Mikado is going to make the same mistake that Masaomi did in the first season and trust Izaya? Are we still doing the whole people not communicating bit? Cause I've seen it enough times in manga that its already a little old.

Hope Chapman wrote:
I honestly have no idea why Vorona would be after Anri, and I fully admit it might just be something I missed.

I could be wrong, but I thought Vorona's partner (elephant?) mentioned they had a job (was it in the truck after ambushing Celty?) to go after Anri (last episode?).

Emerje wrote:
Why did it seem like Egor was meeting Simon and Dennis for the first time despite him going to Russia Sushi to get bandaged? I realize Egor didn't go there under his own power the first time, but walking up to Simon, whom he'd met before, and asking if he was at Russia Sushi was very awkward.

I thought that was supposed to be a flashback? Was a little hard to tell.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Lots of assassins running around. 3 Russian assassins and a loli wanabe assassin.

So Mikado is going to make the same mistake that Masaomi did in the first season and trust Izaya? Are we still doing the whole people not communicating bit? Cause I've seen it enough times in manga that its already a little old.

What's communication got to do with it?

Izaya sure maybe stir a bit in some things to his own plans, but doesn't change what elephant in the room is. Mikado would one day have to decide what he's going to do with Dollars and knowing that Izaya is an asshole would not change what's happening. Hope really it up summed up well.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
The bit about why the Russians sound like they're speaking English or Japanese felt like something out of Hellsing.

Yes, their speech doesn't sound like Russian at all. Being a native speaker I had to read subtitles to understand anything. It's almost always that way though in any anime.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Re: Animation quality on ep 7

I think you can expect the video release to look better. Director Oomori san said that they kind of had to rush through that episode and that it'll be fixed later (which I assume means the video release).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14