• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Horimiya GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Great review. Horimiya is one of those manga that really stands out because it's so confident in itself and its identity. The characters are exceptionally written and the situations don't feel far off from some of those that could occur in real life. Overall just a fluffy romance that works, and doesn't come across as sickeningly sweet (much like High School Debut or Kimi ni Todoke, two of my all time favourite romance manga).
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
This sounds so cute! Thanks for another great manga review!
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Great review! I hope that more people will give this series a chance. It's nice to read a romance that doesn't make me sigh, roll my eyes, or throw my hands up in frustration.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hope more people give this manga a chance. Review really hits the nail on the head. Though, personally, I found that the comedy in this one really hit home with me. So, I wouldn't say "light humor", mainly because the jokes (though kind of stereotypical) actually got me to laugh. Which is rare for me, not much of what I read or watch actually has me laughing.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Horimiya is one of romance series that doesn't feel all to bubbly or filled with corny lines every chapter. It feels rather down-to-earth and more slice-of-life than romance. In fact, the webcomic which Horimiya based on is very slice-of-life, with the characters as high school kids doing stuffs just feel normal yet interesting. Horimiya just feels fresh to me.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Horimiya is definitely something I recommend to anyone who enjoy the genre.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
I randomly bought this the other day (buying manga digitally makes it easier for me to try new series) and I was glad I did. It had a very cute start.

Already preordered volume 2!
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Wow! Another one of my favorites being reviewed in the same week! (Tamayura being the other...)

You know, I had never really thought of Horimiya as being like Kare Kano... Strange, since there is a definite similarity. It probably has to do with the fact that Horimiya has a much more shounen vibe, verging on seinen in my opinion, while Kare Kano is about a shoujo as you can get. I also don't think that the stories or characters have anything really in common. The difference between home an school for the female characters has NOTHING in common, and, frankly, the characters in Horimiya all seem to be much better people than the ones in Kare Kano.

I also agree with those who are saying that the comedy is more central to the manga. I find it one of the most consistently funny manga around. It also manages to have some of the cutest romantic moments as well, which is a double win.

I have read a bit of the 4-koma web-comic version and I have to say I like this version better in all areas. The art is fantastic, in my opinion, especially compared with the original. The story in this version definitely focuses more on the romance aspect as well, which fits my preference. The 4-koma is much more slice-of-life comedy with a bit of romance in it, up to the point that I have been able to find translations.

I will pre-order this manga for as many volumes as come out!
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The story in this version definitely focuses more on the romance aspect as well, which fits my preference.

This is the reason I decided to check out this manga, after hearing about it. I've seen a couple of the OVAs based on the original web series, and enjoyed them well enough (though the animation isn't the best).

Looked into it on MAL, saw that Horimiya was a better looking version of the series, with more focus on the romance, and sat back hoping that it would get licensed. Blessed be YenPress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1