• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ru's 9th Annual Anime Fan Questionnaire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
ru wrote:
I'm sorry about that. There was an odd firewall block that affected about 10 people after the site change. My fault for not thinking things through thoroughly (in both the original setup and the hasty site change).

ru

P.S. I forgot to mention the firewall was fixed. Again, I'll understand anyone not wanting to retry the questionnaire... it can be painful just thinking about doing it again
(believe me, I know).
Don't worry mate. We're a tough lot here. We won't let a little thing like that put us off. Right gang? Wink
bluepita

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Don't worry mate. We're a tough lot here. We won't let a little thing like that put us off. Right gang? Wink

Lol, that is certainly right. Glitches happen all the time, and that's definitely not enough to dissuade most of us from something interesting. Smile
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
Holy cow, that questionnaire is CRAZY long. Where did all those questions come from?

Quote:

#E27. Do you find it strange seeing the real people behind the animated characters (e.g. in photos or interview footage)? (check one)

yes
no
sometimes
I'm not sure
I don't care

What on earth is that supposed to tell us?

Anyway, I did manage to finish off the whole thing. I also have a few suggestions if you're interested, but most of them are just minor tweaks to better articulate the intended question, even out the possible answers a little better, or to just cut out some of the fat.

The form has gotten so long that there should probably be some major prizes offered for completing the whole thing. Twisted Evil
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Quote:

#E27. Do you find it strange seeing the real people behind the animated characters (e.g. in photos or interview footage)? (check one)

yes
no
sometimes
I'm not sure
I don't care

Looking at the results from just last year, 46% of the people that took the survey answered "yes" or "sometimes." I guess it's supposed to tell us that a shockingly large amount of people either don't appreciate the work seiyuu do or would be uninterested in meeting seiyuu at conventions.
ru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Holy cow, that questionnaire is CRAZY long. Where did all those questions come from?

That questionnaire represents the accumulation of over 10 years worth of questions. When I started, there were just 35ish questions. Most of the questions I add are from running across a discussion that I wish I had numbers for. Also, every year, a bunch of people would add comments suggesting new questions, and I'd use the ones that seemed to pique my interest or I thought might pique others' interest. I'd average about 20 new questions per year, and this is what results. The bottom line is that the length of the questionnaire is quite often the fault of the folks that take the survey, so I blame YOU. *GRIN*

ru
ru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
daxomni wrote:
Quote:

yes
no
sometimes
I'm not sure
I don't care

Looking at the results from just last year, 46% of the people that took the survey answered "yes" or "sometimes." I guess it's supposed to tell us that a shockingly large amount of people either don't appreciate the work seiyuu do or would be uninterested in meeting seiyuu at conventions.

That's taking the interpretation of the results a bit too far. The most you can reasonably get from that result is that there is a disconnect between what viewers perceive of the actors and the reality of the actor. Without further information, we can't really say if the responders cared one way or another about the seiyuu. We can only say that their expectations were not the same as the reality.

In some sense, though, that response actually might suggest that they DO appreciate the seiyuu or ARE interested in meeting the seiyuu. They had to have seen the seiyuu in the first place in order to answer yes or no to the question, whether it was in person or on a bonus feature or in a magazine article. They possibly cared enough to actually take a look, even if just in passing. Or, on the other point, they were just interested enough to take a look, or were so interested they actually went to see the seiyuu in person. That's pushing the interpretation a bit. We probably can get away with saying they cared enough to actually feel strange about the disparity.

Hmm, you are about to witness how my questionnaire is built...
The above discourse makes me wonder, just what DO the viewers think of the voice actors (Japanese or otherwise)? Or more specifically: do the viewers like to keep track of some voice actors; do they have favourite voice actors? Is there a voice actor they would like to meet?

Oh, I finally understand the requests for con related questions. Do you like to see voice actor guests? Do you like to see director guests? What do you do most at a con? What are some of the other types of activities you like to do at a con? ... Gosh, there's possibly a dozen new questions right there. And there are enough responses to make it worthwhile. OK, Daxomni, you're off the hook; I blame Wolverine Princess for the length of the questionnaire... Or I will next year.

ru
ru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick status report.

It's just a little past the 1 week mark, and the pace has slowed to one return every few hours. That's expected. At this point, I'm looking for the folks that check in every week or two. Anyway, the survey has gotten just over 780 returns, which is Excellent. The previous best was something like 530. So, thanks again to all that responded. This survey will run for a little under another weekk, ending on the evening of Wed 22 Nov, 2006. I expect to have a preliminary analysis by the weekend after, but certainly no earlier than the evening of Thur 23 Nov, and more likely the Saturday evening.

At that point, I'll start putting up the respective results pages on my website, I'll post highlights and a tally on the Usenet newsgroups, and I'll post highlights and a tally here. I'll see if the editors of ANN will post the results announcement, but if not, either this discussion or my website will be the place to watch.

ru
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I blame Wolverine Princess for the length of the questionnaire... Or I will next year.

Glad to have been of service, I love taking anime-related surveys like yours. All the better if they’re super long and really in-depth. Wink
ru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well folks, after some feverish work, I've got the first pass at the results posted. There are Highlights, the Actual Tallies, and some Trend Analyses. I've also posted an exerpt of the tallies that some of you industry hounds might be interested in using. I haven't had much time to polish them, so don't be surprised if you find some rather goofy comments or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2