• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
We Actually Do Listen...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, ANN!

I'll keep the in-text on because it doesn't seriously hamper my reading and I want you to get that revenue. I'll keep the NSFW skins, too, but it's nice to have that option for when I leave the house.

Last edited by RestLessone on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
RightStufSpecialsMinion wrote:
I'm leaving the PG-13 ads on because I view the site from (and for) work! :D

Minion, you're a dork.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a million ANN... hopefully this won't detract too much from the revenue. The inline text in particular was a problem, because sometimes it get's stuck on the page, and that's just annoying.

Guess you could always do a pledge drive or something. I'd be up for that AFTER April 15.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Thanks a million ANN... hopefully this won't detract too much from the revenue. The inline text in particular was a problem, because sometimes it get's stuck on the page, and that's just annoying.

Hopefully, that is the case. While I did turn off the in-text ads, if ANN later says they need to remove the option, I won't be too bothered by it. Such ads are more of an annoyance than an outright hindrance for me, so I'm not completely opposed to them.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
@Tempest - Do you get revenue just from people loading a screen that has ads on them or do people actually need to click on the links for you to get money?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
@Tempest - Do you get revenue just from people loading a screen that has ads on them or do people actually need to click on the links for you to get money?

Depends on the ad in particular, but it general...

The relationship between views, clicks and revenue is quite complicated, but it ultimately boils down very simply: We get revenue every time someone views an ad, and we get more revenue when people click on the ads.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
meiam wrote:
Won't you lose money because of that? I can't imagine turning off add is okay with the advertiser…

Yes, we will lose a bit of money by turning of the in-text ads. But it's better to keep our readers happy.

And if you wanted to help support ANN you could also become a subscriber which opens up many other forms of blocking ads. Then you're happy and they're happy. Everyone is happy. End of shameless plug as a subscriber. Laughing

Tempest wrote:
willag wrote:

Depends on the ad in particular, but it general...

The relationship between views, clicks and revenue is quite complicated, but it ultimately boils down very simply: We get revenue every time someone views an ad, and we get more revenue when people click on the ads.

So if we for example clicked on a bunch of ads it would bring in revenue for ANN. Even if we don't actually buy anything from the site/store in the ad? Cause if that is true I'll go click on a shit ton of ads for like 30 minutes to help the cause.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for listening to our opinions and actually DOING something about it. You have made my day.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

So if we for example clicked on a bunch of ads it would bring in revenue for ANN. Even if we don't actually buy anything from the site/store in the ad? Cause if that is true I'll go click on a shit ton of ads for like 30 minutes to help the cause.

I'd suggest against this, it's "click fraud" and could possibly result in the suspension of ad service from the provider of the content/revenue.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks very much for acting so quickly after the survey. This, plus your work after the website redesign last year, shows how important our happiness is to you; and I honestly can say that I have never seen another website show as much caring to their readers as you guys do. It is very much appreciated.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Yes, we will lose a bit of money by turning of the in-text ads.

In that case, in-text ads restored; they never bothered me all that much anyway.
Torrin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Is there an option to keep ads if you are a subscriber or are they automatically blocked? Because I wouldnt mind subscribing to support ann but I like the anime related ads, particularly the skins from funimation/sentai etc.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Torrin wrote:
Is there an option to keep ads if you are a subscriber or are they automatically blocked? Because I wouldnt mind subscribing to support ann but I like the anime related ads, particularly the skins from funimation/sentai etc.

You can leave them all on if you like. Subscribers simply get the option to turn them off. Or just specific type of ad. You can leave up banners but block buttons for example. So if you want them up you can certainly do so as a subscriber. I for example have left the skins and banners enabled myself.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
First of all I like to thank ANN for listening to us when it comes to ads, this is big for me because I can turn off those ridiculous infolinks (which I found to be very annoying). Tempest, I give you my thanks. If I could send you a box of cookie, I would love to. Razz Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I'd suggest against this, it's "click fraud" and could possibly result in the suspension of ad service from the provider of the content/revenue.

"Click Fraud". How can it be click fraud, if you actually click on the ad. Clicking on the ad doesn't mean you are required to actually buy anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5