• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I've Got A Blank Space Baby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't care less who wins Animated Feature this year because I'm disgusted LEGO Movie wasn't even nominated. The whole "it came out early in the year" excuse I've grown sick of. I saw pretty much all the animated films this year and thought they were all good to great but honestly LEGO Movie topped them all for me.

Also don't agree that it was a weak year for movies, heck I think I've seen about 15 more movies this year than my normal average for a year.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the general favorite nonsense English anime title is "Bleach," a cleaning agent that has absolutely nothing to do with the show or its subject matter

I read somewhere that Kubo named the manga after Nirvana's first album, rather than the cleaning agent. Given, that doesn't make any more sense as a title, but it's a little more logical as a shout-out.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I didn't think Angel Beats! was that strange since there is a character named Angel and music is featured heavily in the show, hence "Beats."...

Actually, the latter part of the title most likely comes from the fact that.. (Warning, heavy spoilers!)
spoiler[..after Otonashi died following the train incident, Tenshi was the one who received his heart as a transplant. It's even revealed to the characters themselves at one point when Tenshi doesn't hear his beating heart because it's missing...)]

Fan-speculation at one point was, prior to the revelations, that the title was because of all the bullying Yuri was subjecting Tenshi to Laughing ...

Edit; Didn't see Key's post which already explained it.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
[pushes up glasses, sputters and spits]

BLEACH refers to the fact that bleaching something makes it white(similar to the process of reaping lost souls), and it kind of sounds like "black," the original title* Kubo wanted, but ultimately decided was too plain.

*Before BLEACH was about grim reapers, it was about gunmen, and the actual working title was Snipe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

BLEACH refers to the fact that bleaching something makes it white(similar to the process of reaping lost souls), and it kind of sounds like "black," the original title* Kubo wanted, but ultimately decided was too plain.

Alternatively it can be used to explain Kubo's immense like of white backgrounds and the color white in general.
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
"Bodacious" is outdated?

I've got to get out more.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
For weird titles, Genei no Kakeru Taiyou/Day Break Illusion/il sole penetra le illusioni is a favorite of mine because, honestly, what is the full title even supposed to be? Is the Italian supposed to come before or after? Is it a subtitle? A third title?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Key, I can help you with understanding Bleach's title. In addition to what Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote, the title also refers to Ichigo's hair. That's because it looks bleached (at least to other characters), even though it is a natural colour (from his mum's side). Because bleached hair is a supposed sign of delinquency (moreso in Asia than Anglophone countries), Ichigo has been treated poorly by many people.

His teachers thought he was a no good miscreant, and so his good grades are the result of his desire to spite them and prove them wrong. And whenever he walked down the street, thugs would look at him and think he's a fellow hooligan, so they would attack him thinking that he also wants to fight. That's why he learned how to defend himself in a fight even before becoming a shinigami, because he kind of had to.

So yeah, Ichigo's hair explains a lot of about what makes him tick, and also why he has his current rough attitude; he used to be a crybaby, but not anymore. The fact that it got its colouration from his mother made him even more sensitive about it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The translations that can be especially hard to translate is when they have the long LN-based anime titles.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite nonsense anime titles is BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad since it's actually both a reference to an event in the series and a way to get around the issues of releasing something about a band called Beck in the Western world.

Otherwise... *checks over anime list* ... you end up with things like Pumpkin Scissors, Devilman Lady, and Serial Experiments Lain
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The translations that can be especially hard to translate is when they have the long LN-based anime titles.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of those lately. Long names in anime based off of LNs. Actually, I've looked at the covers for a lot of those LNs, and (maybe it's just me) but they look very similar, especially the font the title uses. I think Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and Seiken Tsukai no World Break had similar fonts as well as other LN titles. Is this a common thing?
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:

Or, in the case of Animeigo's Kimagure Orange Road TV series box set release, Woodhead left out the opening and closings altogether in the hopes that fans wouldn't notice or care. Rolling Eyes

Sorry for the nitpick, but the opening and closings weren't left out altogether; they were included separately in their own Credits section of the menu. At the time, Woodhead was trying to save space on the discs by including only one set of them, but after all the complaints, he went back and discovered he could still fit the episodes without chopping off their openings and endings.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I think Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and Seiken Tsukai no World Break had similar fonts as well as other LN titles. Is this a common thing?

I don't know because I haven't been playing attention to this.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that peeved about the lack of Ocean dubs nowadays. I mean, Death Note and Black Lagoon were amazing but stuff like Shana? Not so much. I think Funi made the right call by outsourcing Roberta's Blood Trail and doing Shana in house.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

For long titles, the Japanese typically have contractions/abbreviations themselves, some of which have made it into the translations (e.g. Oreimo, WataMote, anohana, Henneko, Maoyu, Saekano).

Some of the other more literal or long-winded English titles unfortunately lack the convenient abbreviations of their Japanese versions (e.g. Is the Order a Rabbit? = Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? = GochiUsa; Love, Election and Chocolate = Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate = KoiChoco). I have no idea what happened with "Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts", which is typically shortened to just "BakaTest".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6