• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Loses an Hour of Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
While overrated garbage like Kill la kill also have good ratings because they appeal to masses whose tastes have not be nurtured over the years.

AHAHAHAHAHA Laughing Ah well, mama used to say, "haters gonna' hate!" Cool
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for the day Parasyte airs on Toonami.

Although really, they should get Jojo on Toonami, it would be perfect for it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
It's also possible that anime is not the solution to Toonami's ratings challenges, but rather the underlying problem. Toonami's Jason DeMarco — who is ridiculously generous with his time on Tumblr and ask.fm — recently posted this on ask.fm:
Quote:
So when I was in HS (2005-09) there were a lot of channels that had anime on them. Other than Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and the WB/CW, channels like IFC and Syfy had them. Hell, even G4, Starz and Encore had anime on them. Now it seems only CN/Toonami carry anime. What happened with this change?

Nobody watched enough of it. Streaming is slowly killing the idea of anime being a mass market entertainment in the US. There are a ton of complex factors, but right now, that's the biggest one.

What's interesting to me about this is that Toonami brass, and DeMarco in particular, have always made clear that Toonami is not an anime block, it is an action animation block. Their problem is that so little action animation is being made in the West anymore, so they tend towards anime. And the quote above makes the problem with programming for television even more clear: when everyone who's really into anime watched Attack On Titan streaming on Crunchyroll or Funimation in 2013, they probably didn't bother turning out for it dubbed on Toonami the following year.

Interesting conundrum. Anime is healthy enough to keep all these big conventions growing and keep multiple streaming sites and physical media publishers in business, but is sufficiently insular that it's not so hot to keep a TV channel afloat.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
and their just NOW getting Kill La Kill when it should have been in November after AOT finished its run.

lack of a budget didn't allow then to do that.

It still wouldn't hurt them to premiere new dubs of naruto and one piece, i mean, if they're gonna keep using their budget as an excuse then we might as well say goodbye to the block, they should take risks
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
It's also possible that anime is not the solution to Toonami's ratings challenges, but rather the underlying problem. Toonami's Jason DeMarco — who is ridiculously generous with his time on Tumblr and ask.fm — recently posted this on ask.fm:
Quote:
So when I was in HS (2005-09) there were a lot of channels that had anime on them. Other than Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and the WB/CW, channels like IFC and Syfy had them. Hell, even G4, Starz and Encore had anime on them. Now it seems only CN/Toonami carry anime. What happened with this change?

Nobody watched enough of it. Streaming is slowly killing the idea of anime being a mass market entertainment in the US. There are a ton of complex factors, but right now, that's the biggest one.

What's interesting to me about this is that Toonami brass, and DeMarco in particular, have always made clear that Toonami is not an anime block, it is an action animation block. Their problem is that so little action animation is being made in the West anymore, so they tend towards anime. And the quote above makes the problem with programming for television even more clear: when everyone who's really into anime watched Attack On Titan streaming on Crunchyroll or Funimation in 2013, they probably didn't bother turning out for it dubbed on Toonami the following year.

Interesting conundrum. Anime is healthy enough to keep all these big conventions growing and keep multiple streaming sites and physical media publishers in business, but is sufficiently insular that it's not so hot to keep a TV channel afloat.

your right and i guess Toonami's permanent cancellation is inevitable in the future whether folks believe it or not. It sucks but times are changing, what can u do.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I am absolutely shredded by the announcement that Toonami is losing their "5-6am decade old reruns" block. How will I go on?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Eh, at least it's at the end instead of the beginning...
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
It's the beginning of the fall of toonami all over again.....no, maybe that's a little too exaggerated
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So is this telling me that the concept of streaming subs need to die so Toonami can stay afloat?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:
So is this telling me that the concept of streaming subs need to die so Toonami can stay afloat?

I think this actually means that cable TV is a dying medium for entertainment
904thehero1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:

I think this actually means that cable TV is a dying medium for entertainment

agreed, the only shows I actually care about that I watch on tv are Gotham, Agent Carter, and SHIELD. I prefer to watch those on tv and not online.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
ya really wanna save Toonami, then put on some Queen's Blade, Samurai Girls...or High School DxD...

That'll save the block, most definitely... Laughing
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

Nailed it. Insular and fractured. Everyone has there own little corner of the internet where they sequester themselves. I think it's good in that it allows for more diverse content creation, but bad in that there's no longer any way to reach the people, to expose them to new things. Cable TV will continue to limp along, long past it's usefulness just as all established industries do; too many people with stable jobs who will cling to it, despite the writing on the wall. I think programming blocks like Toonami are the most susceptible, because their target audience is the youth who all know how to use the internet by now.

Quote:
The median age of a broadcast television viewer is now the highest ever at 54. Twenty years ago, it was 41. The most-watched scripted series in the 1993-94 season was “Home Improvement,” with a median viewer age of 34. Today, it’s “NCIS,” with a median viewer who is 61. - Meredith Blake, Los Angeles Times
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Toonami seems limit themselves to Viz, Aniplex and Funimation. Seems Adult Swim has a grudge against Sentai dating back to the ADV days.

WRONG!! the people at Adult swim has said some interests in working with Sentai and vice versa
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
getchman wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
and their just NOW getting Kill La Kill when it should have been in November after AOT finished its run.

lack of a budget didn't allow then to do that.

It still wouldn't hurt them to premiere new dubs of naruto and one piece, i mean, if they're gonna keep using their budget as an excuse then we might as well say goodbye to the block, they should take risks

Those two dubs are still new to television (besides Shippuden sorta kinda). Besides Naruto and One Piece still bring in a lot of their numbers so they aren't the problem. Toonami doesn't have a lot of money to begin with so they can't just keep buying shows every time they want to. Plus I'm sure there are some legal things going on that prevent them from showing newer episodes of OP and Shippuden even if they wanted to. Not everything that happens with Toonami's shows are in their control. Or maybe it's even for marketing. Showing only the last half of a long running series doesn't seem that profitable to me (I'm sure there is a different story with OP though).

Correct me if I'm wrong; I don't know much about these things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5