• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ushio & Tora Supernatural Battle Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Another obvious choice, Gunsmith Cats, now that it's easy and economical to do cel-shaded 3D automobiles that looks more or less as good as the super-expensive-to-animate hand-drawn cars from the 1993 OVAs.

Yes please, would want so much!

Also, mentioned above, yeah, man would I love Vampire Hunter D getting a full TV series someday too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Before Parasyte there was David Productions Jojo. But no, the reason they are animating old mangas is not out of nostalgia (albeit it is a factor), the simple truth is that nowadays they are animating so many mangas and light novels that they are running out of material.

Well, they may also conceive their own ideas, but if they're like Hollywood and running out of ideas.......... Laughing
1thought

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I would say it's because back in the early 90's only a few a handful of TV series were made.

Shogakukan never pushed their stuff to become animated.
If Ushio & Tora ran in Weekly Shonen Jump it would have been a TV series in the 90's but it ran in Shonen Sunday.
It was a really popular series for Shonen Sunday so it got a small OVA series.

Another thing is cel anime or hand drawn on a TV series is hard to do with unique art styles like Kazuhiro Fujita on a limited budget that TV anime series have.

To know the limitations of cel anime on TV series with a small budget even if the show had huge ratings.

Just look at website and click on the images of various characters of Dragon Ball Z to see how much it changes from episode to episode.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/

Now with way more TV series being made and computers to help animation you can open the doors to older manga that were never able to be made.

Ushio & Tora was fairly popular in Japan. It sold 30+ million copies.
Out of 33 manga volumes. It has accolades it won the Shogakukan Manga Award for Shonen etc...

I assume the animation studio is going for the more popular name but hopefully this is a trend and more older manga become anime.

Kazuhiro Fujita's other series like Karakuri Circus has been praised for it's story. And Gekko Jorei aka Moonlight Act sounds interesting and both have Fujita's unique art you got to be envious of France getting so much awesome stuff translated.

Unfortunately English speakers have Viz with their stranglehold exclusive rights to Shogakukan stuff that they don't do anything with.

Sad

Last edited by 1thought on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I also hope this becomes a trend, partly because I like older stuff to begin with, and partly because most of these old series are already finished, which means the adaptation won't have to be constantly contriving ways to avoid catching up to the manga.

Looking forward to seeing what Ushio and Tora looks like on TV. I remember the manga having really intricate creature designs, lots of wild, long hair blowing around, loads of blood splattering about...it's just full of stuff that'll be hard to animate on a TV budget.
1thought

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Now that a Kazuhiro Fujita series is getting a TV anime I guess maybe the chances of seeing Masanori Morita's Rokudenashi Blues getting a TV anime series is looking good.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I also hope this becomes a trend, partly because I like older stuff to begin with, and partly because most of these old series are already finished, which means the adaptation won't have to be constantly contriving ways to avoid catching up to the manga.

In also has the (hard to quantify) bonus that modern otaku's might get their parents (or even grandparents) to help buy the disc release.

My dream would be they continue the Ranma 1/2 and Ghost Sweeper Mikami where they left, specially GS Mikami since it went badass where the TV series ended -_-;

TBT I have not seen the OVAs or manga of Ushio and Tora, but remember it was one of the series I wanted to see "someday", hope this reboot/remake (we still do not know if this will cover the entire series) sets a precedent in quality, unlike other series *cough* sailor moon crystal *cough*
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget Yokai Watch has sparked a huge wave of interest in yokai stories. They did a live action Hell Teacher Nube series recently as well.
Either way, this is one of the best manga not translated. Can't wait to grab that Kanzenban.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Premise doesn't sound too bad. Waiting for some good action to come out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
1thought: Viz isn't generally that interested in their Shogakukan stuff, unless it's from Rumiko Takahashi. But, if this sucker gets streamed on Crunchyroll, I hope it leads to the possibility of the manga getting an English release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3