• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
I will buy Free! But I would of rather it had been Funi! I know CR originally had the rights to Free! But I don't know how discotec got them over Funimation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Discotek being so busy. I'm going to assume this is an indication that they are in good shape and will be around for a while which pleases me since they tend to snap up older titles that would otherwise never see the light of day. I also didn't release that CR had picked up home release licenses for certain titles. I thought they just stuck to streaming licenses.
904thehero1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
what is weird is that free season 2 is owned by funimation and is getting a dub. i cannot think of a series with one season owned by one company and another season owned by another.
Nate148

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I will buy Free! But I would of rather it had been Funi! I know CR originally had the rights to Free! But I don't know how discotec got them over Funimation.

It most likely because discotec is not and has never in the us streaming business and they don't put stuff on hulu or Netflix.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

It most likely because discotec is not and has never in the us streaming business and they don't put stuff on hulu or Netflix.

Well shame on CR if this is the reason. I like discotek but this series needed a full release with all the perks (dub and BR) which Discotek is not going to give.

Edit: Always forget how to spell Discotek

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:20 am; edited 3 times in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
OK, it's understandable they'd pick up titles that other bigger distributors don't want to pick up or licenses they let lapse, probably for cheaps because of that.

But how the heck did they manage to outmaneuver Funimation on Free?

And they have Street Fighter II TV USA Express but not the The Darkstalkers TV series? Laughing
(And would the SFII movie include the English soundtrack?)

Oh, and.........

Murder, She wrote:

The 2000 Robot Carnival original anime video is an acclaimed collection of robot-themed short segments created by nine of Japan's top animators.

Robot Carnival is definitely not 2000. It was even airing on TNT and Sci-Fi Channel way before that. According to ANN Encyclopedia, it's 1987.

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 am; edited 3 times in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
You're kidding me, right? An English dub's main purpose is to be accesible to people who haven't watched it in Japanese but to watch that English dub you have to have watched the entire first season in Japanese? What in God's name is going on here?

I've seen dubs that are so bad that it's sometimes near impossible to tell what's going on in certain scenes without first watching it in Japanese (Thanks Sentai) but a dub that literally requires you to have seen 13 episodes in Japanese? That's on a whole other level of inaccessibility.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure CR sold the Gargantia hom video rights to Viz. Is there some reason why they couldn't do something similar with Free? Or are they just being greedy pigs because they finally managed to secure the rights to something popular for once?
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
OK, it's understandable they'd pick up titles that other bigger distributors don't want to pick up or licenses they let lapse, probably for cheaps because of that.

But how the heck did they manage to outmaneuver Funimation on Free?

Typically you don't work with companies that are trying to undercut your primary business goal. Crunchy chose to work with a NA distributor with large distribution that worked best for them physical release-wise.

Given that fans here only care about price, I'm surprised at the complaints. You're (non-specific) getting a cheap release, isn't that all you want?!

If you wanted Funi to get Free! S1, you should've hoped they wouldn't have spent so much on streaming this past season as well as undercutting Crunchy on subscriptions. They continued to pressure Crunchy on the home video rights and got burned as a result. Truthfully, given the utter lack of consideration Funi has towards other companies (even the ones they license from), I'm shocked anyone still works with them now. (for reference, Funi attempted to release two cheap releases from Kadokawa in months Kadokawa had already solicited releases in Japan for. Kadokawa got pissed and that's why Funi has to wait a longer period to release Kadokawa shows on BD now.)

Last edited by ultimatemegax on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
Best news I've heard all week. Fantastic pickups.

Free!, Arpeggio, Strike the Blood and Recently, my sister is unusual., bravo Discotek, you've just picked up 4 of my fave shows in recent memory. ImoCho especially, adored that show (and manga).

Hope they release them all on Blu Ray though I'm not too bothered about ImoCho being DVD only as I already have all of the JP BDs.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
A bit surprised that Season 1 of Free! Iwatobi Swim Club is among the plethora of shows that Discotek picked up. Looks like I'll have to wait even longer before I'll be able to watch this show since it will be awkward just trying to jump straight into Season 2 without knowing what went on in the first season.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Getting more recent shows let alone series that weren't licensed here previously is not the norm for Discotek. Assuming that Funi dubs Free!, that would be an interesting practice to have 2 companies working on the same product (this does happen sometimes).
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
I am definitely picking up Darkstalkers and Street Fighter. I bought the original Street Fighter II Animated Movie on DvD, way before the Uncut version came out, never got that one. If Discotek is indeed re-releasing the Uncut version, I will pick it up. I'd like to get the Street Fighter cartoon as well, that show is just plain hilarious and so over the top. I gotta get it.

Since Discotek already re-released all of the Fatal Fury anime, I hope they pick up the Virtua Fighter tv series. It's pretty good, quite funny, it does a good job injecting some personality and story into a video game that otherwise has none.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is quite the lineup for Discotek! 2015's gonna be a busy year for them. I'm as shocked as everyone else to see that they picked up Free!, though I don't have much interest in the show. The license that interests me the most is Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, since to my knowledge there isn't a Japanese Blu-Ray release. SeHa stands along with Girls und Panzer in the "shows I thought I'd hate but ended up loving" category so I'll be sure to pick that up and Robot Carnival is always awesome.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Funi attempted to release two cheap releases from Kadokawa in months Kadokawa had already solicited releases in Japan for. Kadokawa got pissed and that's why Funi has to wait a longer period to release Kadokawa shows on BD now.

While I don't know where you heard this, this is a really horrendous practice. I find that would be the day that Funi admits that a DVD/BD was delayed because they did a practice like this.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
Nice that Discotek licensed the series, but DVD-only releases means I won't buy Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Still available in HD streaming ON Crunchyroll, and I refuse to buy a DVD-only release only for it to be released later on Blu-Ray. In any case, I'm not buying a series on DVD that was broadcast in HD.

I'm not about to reward the Japanese companies for their stinginess in refusing to release the show for fear of reverse importation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10