• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Reasons Gentlemen Prefer Elves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
What about goblins, trolls, gnomes, orcs, etc.?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
What about goblins, trolls, gnomes, orcs, etc.?

And Dragon-halves! Very Happy
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
(EDIT: This is directed at Kadmos1. I somehow did not notice the post that EricJ2 made an hour before mine.) Embarassed

^ What about them?
Are you suggesting a list column for those types of characters?
If so it could be interesting, but are there enough of them?

The only troll that I can think of is in Record of Lodoss War, and I cannot remember his name.
I cannot think of any named characters who are goblins, gnomes or orcs.

If you were asking about something else then I apologize for reaching the wrong conclusion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AndrewD2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
New poll is really lacking in choices, so many people started on game systems besides D&D, Pathfinder, FATE, GURPs, D6, really disappointing. I started with D6 Star Wars in RPGs but had to pick D&D 3.5 because that was the next thing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I meant that if we could elves, we might as well include other fantasy creatures like the ones l listed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I assume Lafiel from Banner of the Stars doesn't fit the definition of an elf? Otherwise she'd be a given...

i was wondering why she or at least her mom from the sekai trilogy wasnt chosen. definitely a snub if you ask me. i would have put lafiel over aura anyday. though i wasnt surprised that those two from record of loddos war was the top two since that series set the standard for fantasy based anime series right along with beserk and bastard.

Quote:
Surprisingly, a number a votes had to be thrown out because 50 or more people voted for anime that's available legally in America, like Pokémon, A Certain Magical Index, or Highschool of the Dead.

SERIOUSLY? You can't be really surprised that a lot of people did that.

most of fans,particularly sub only elites really disliked how funi did with the english dub version of index. the same can say for sentai's treatment for highschool of the dead.

and i definitely dont want to go into the details when it comes to pokemon cause it would take too long to type since of course for many years now people have been screaming for an unedited dub version as well as a non fansub version. while i definitely agree that the votes for index and highschool of the dead should be thrown out cause not only it beyond stupid & both dub versions are great, i as a pokemaniac myself whole heartily agree with the voters that the pokemon anime franchise is in desperate need of rescuing cause more of their fans will be resorting to the fansubs and illegal streaming the more PUSA try to americanized the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trypticon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that I'm surprised to see Echidna from Queen's Blade on the list, however; when I think about her as a character, her design alone is enough to make her stand out; of course, there's much more going on there.

Her design and aesthetic while sensual also says a lot about her character's fighting style and skill. She is one of the more, if not the most overpowering character on the franchise.

It also compliments her demeanor and behavior; she's very sassy and witty which also shows she's excessively confident; of course, she can back that all up with her abilities.

While her cool and sensual behavior is definitely some of this character's natural behavior, it is often a front for the inner turmoil she must endure due to her isolation and solitude. Echidna has a lot of great lines of dialogue, especially with her antics, but I think my favorite line since it explains and sums up what she is forced to deal with as a character is:

"I always get left behind when I'm with a human; not that I can prevent that, having so many years to live. They all pass before I do; everyone, no matter how much I cherish them."

This is one of the reasons why I like and respect Queen's Blade and I hold it to a high regard; it takes a variety of ways to flesh out and develop characters, and their dynamics. Sometimes with dialogue and/or flashback sequences, which there are a few with Echidna, but they're not really her back story during those scenes; they're someone else's. In the case of Echidna; it's a mere few lines of dialogue that allow me to understand that she's dealing with isolation and that she fully comprehends the reasons why.

Aside from all that, the name Echidna, goes back to Greek Mythology being the "mother of all monsters." Some of these include Cerberus, Hydra, Gorgon and Scylla. Looking at her character from this perspective and taking into account her overwhelming abilities as a fighter, tracker and mentor, it does have a nice connection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5