• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Reasons Gentlemen Prefer Elves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Deedlit was my first elf crush, so she has a special place in my heart. Parn, you lucky SOB.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Haha, early high school! I've seen both but I was overwhelmed by the amount of elves to choose from that I couldn't decide on any one in particular from that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It's possible that Deedlit is to the anime elf archetype as Belldandy is to the yamato nadeshiko archetype.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
All this makes me think is that someone needs to make a new Record of Lodoss War series. If just because I wanna see Deedlit's fashionable ears.

Yeah, I'd enjoy seeing one. Also, we need that BD set.

DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah, Deedlit was my first elf crush, so she has a special place in my heart. Parn, you lucky SOB.

Yup.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If that was their reason, it's a moot one now. Lodoss is out on BD in Japan and stunning. I don't even care about the Daryls and the whomevers chiming in to talk about how little animation it has after the first episode, it's still a gorgeous anime. You might as well just import that unless someone moves to license it. That's why I voted for the Lodoss in the first place, and got it added to the list.

Yeah, would have totally imported the Lodoss set if the Japanese set had subs and the dub since there's no sign of a US release so far, but since it doesn't have them there's sadly no point. I hope it gets rescued someday so we can get it.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this list, I realise that I've not seen many anime with elf characters.

And I'm not going to Google 'snake thong'. Laughing

Can't take part in the poll, I've never played D&D.

Lastly, sad that Scrapped Princess didn't make the cut. Guess I was alone on that one.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
c'mon... no Arshes Nei from Bastard?

Ah well, Deedlit is still the best.
Nerroth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I was somewhat surprised to see Sakuya make the list as the ALO representative, though it's no bad thing by any means.

Indeed, she'll soon be available as a playable character in Sword Art Online: Lost Song - in Japan and Asia, at least. (Hopefully Bandai Namco won't leave us hanging on a potential Western localization...)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I tried to watch ROLW back during the early 90's, when it was one of the five shows fans recommended because...it was one of the only five shows on commercial VHS, but I just kept finding it one of the dullest shows ever made.
Thus, I tried to remember other elves for the list besides Myucel, but couldn't do it. Very Happy

(If the SAO story arcs had kept their mind on their business, we could have seen more of Sakuya, Cait Sith and the other game clans, but nooo...)
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought for sure someone would plug Nina the anime network news elf. Well I guess I just did.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I was sure thousands would join me in selecting Koi Kaze for license rescue. Alas, I appear to have been incorrect.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
About the Poll: I'm an old-time gamer. One of my buddies and I started playing D&D with the old red box. I quickly moved on to things like Rune Quest and was a big fan of AD&D when it came out. In college I played a lot of different systems including the Star Trek the RPG, Traveler, and several variations on D&D. After college I played in a fantastic Beyond the Supernatural campaign with a great gaming group. That group morphed into Rifts eventually, but I only played that one time since I had moved on to Grad School. There I had a couple of different gaming groups, playing D&D, Role Master, and Rune Quest mostly. Now I play with a group on the Roll20 web tabletop system using Pathfinder. We are running through the Rise of the Runelords campaign. Loads of fun! Smile

As for the list, Yeah... Elves tend to be sexy!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
About the Poll: I'm an old-time gamer. One of my buddies and I started playing D&D with the old red box. I quickly moved on to things like Rune Quest and was a big fan of AD&D when it came out.

I couldn't FIND a gaming group like the one Elliott's older brother had in E.T., but I became hooked on an early form of licensed D&D RPG CD-Rom computer adventures, which had the same hexagonal-grid maps, the same overwritten plots, the same character formation/advancement, and took care of all the dice-rolling and mathematic calculation virtually.
Couldn't get enough of those, they even blew the SNES JRPG's away. Very Happy

Later on, I by pure accident found a local weekend gaming-con at a hotel just a few blocks away, while passing by, and wandered into a few entry-level games.
As it happens--this being late '88-'89--I wandered into one of the media rooms, where some fanboy was showing off his LD's of Akira, Outlander, Beautiful Dreamer and Dirty Pair. (Hey, Akira, MTV was talking about that...And who's the babe in the bikini?) Cool
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Lastly, sad that Scrapped Princess didn't make the cut.

Me as well. It needs rescued. It needs a release that would do it justice.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Haha, early high school! I've seen both but I was overwhelmed by the amount of elves to choose from that I couldn't decide on any one in particular from that show.

Early high school......I was about to say how old that makes me feel in comparison followed by some you young whipper snappers joke. Then I checked the year it came out....I was in early high school too lol. I'm not old!!!!!! Yeaaaaaaa!!!!! And yea, choosing 1 bombshell elf from that show would be like picking one grain of rice to eat at a Chinese buffet. Weird analogy I know. I'm sober so my apologies.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
All this makes me think is that someone needs to make a new Record of Lodoss War series. If just because I wanna see Deedlit's fashionable ears.

There's certainly material for it. Mizuno's competed both a prequel series (telling the story of the six heroes that the bard sings of at the dance in RoLW) and a sequel series (which I know nothing about except that it uses the orginal characters and is not an all-new cast). I believe parts of the prequel have been adapted as manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5