• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
America actually existed, and this fictional existence didn't, so the assumption that the U.S. had to do something to prevent this isn't necessarily valid.

That said, the biggest difference is that the white slaveowners were still wealthy and powerful people, and the black slaves still had very limited wealth and power, so even though slavery ended in law, the social structures didn't. Many blacks didn't have a choice but to return to slave-like labor.

In this show, I guess the assumption is that with the master dead, there would be no one left to pick up that end of the society, which seems more like bad writing than an actual difference. So maybe these slaves actually liked their masters more than American slaves did. I really doubt they would have time to consider their economic future in the radically different social structure they had been thrust into in the two seconds it took them to react violently. (By contrast, the 13th amendment, which ended slavery in the U.S., was not surprising or sudden.)

Of course, the fact that the slave quarters were locked from the outside seems implausible under the "we love our master" theory, so I'm going with sloppy writing.

The U.S. also established the Freedmen's Bureau which was supposed to help the slaves adjust to free life. I don't know that it was recognized as being broadly effective, though, and a lot of its concern was that whites would continue to abuse blacks regardless of the law, which certainly happened.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
America actually existed, and this fictional existence didn't, so the assumption that the U.S. had to do something to prevent this isn't necessarily valid.

It being problematic to just cut slaves loose and tell them to figure the rest out for themselves seems to me to be something that's true for real life as well as fiction.

But you answered my question all the same. So the government at least tried to help them adjust.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, a government tried, and it didn't try very long. The federal government was often at odds with the state governments in the South, and even the federal government quickly stopped doing much until the mid-1900s.

Still, the idea that slaves would immediately enter a murderous rage over being freed is ridiculous. It would take time to understand the implications of the upheaval in societal structure.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I should have clarified that what I meant by "what we see in this episode" is the freed slaves going back to being slaves thing, not the freed slaves try to avenge their master thing. I just wanted to know how the US did things when they abolished slavery to get an idea of what Arslan might have to do (or not do).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Loved it! This episode gave Silvermask more characterization including bits of his past. I also find it interesting that he has a newly devoted comrade named Xendes. Kinda curious to see how far he will go to kill Daryun though after his first fail.

Also, I think Arslan's kindness is interesting to note for someone of his royalty. I mean, it isn't surprising to see but I still find it interesting. The action was good this episode with all the main characters showing their skills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
That ending...nicely framed shot and all, but were they going to jump off the cliff after all to get to Peshawar?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Nice episode. One interesting note is that the series bought out a supernatural element, a rarity imo for this show. I mean, it exists but just rarely shown until now. The earthly movement magic is something to take notice of...

For the Zot Clan this episode, it looks like they messed with the wrong guy (Silvermask). I felt bad for that girl tbh....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
I am largely still unimpressed, but I like the new girl.

Actually there is a concern I have had for this series, despite especially early on we were shown Arslan training, there has not been a huge amount of growth for characters, instead it has largely just been saying how great they are.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Why not just have a popup explaining that Arslan's aura gives +20% to all stats for allies? It's just too much.

Boy, I really was sympathetic to the girl who was sad because her murdering, thieving, bloodthirsty bandit friends died because they tried to rob the wrong person. I can hardly stop my tears.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
The instant I saw Alfreed's face, I knew she was a new recurring character, even though she was just stuck in the middle of a series of clan shots. There's such a massive drop-off in the cannon fodder characters' designs they might as well wear signs.

I actually wanted to hear the rest of Narsus' explanation, since what we got wasn't enough to explain how it worked as a roughly timed device.

Not a problem to the Japanese, but for me, naming them the Zot clan was unfortunate. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The instant I saw Alfreed's face, I knew she was a new recurring character, even though she was just stuck in the middle of a series of clan shots. There's such a massive drop-off in the cannon fodder characters' designs they might as well wear signs.

It is Fire Emblem rules.
http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=070912
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see another female character added to the cast... Though she looks exactly like Elam.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

That was interesting. We find out Silvermask and his real name known as Hermes. However, I would have to say that the skill difference between him and Arslan is quite a bit just after seeing them fight.

Too bad about Bahaman...he went out with a bang and hopefully, his death will have some meaning.

Episode 14 should be interesting though based on the spoiler[buildup of an invasion coming. Next week is sadly a recap] based on the preview.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
In these cases I blame myself for following this show just because I'm halfway and I don't like to drop things and if I'm not enjoying something I'll at least try to gain something even if it is in animation composition or something, but in terms of genuine enjoyment my hopes for the show have gone.

I was bored at the beginning of the show but with the time the main characters grew on me and I was more into it and hoping things to get better... but geez, now most of them are just stuck into the stereotypes of themselves without much else (right now only Narsus and sometimes Arslan still pick my interest), this new girl had potential before but in this last episode she was terrible (being Narsus her only theme of conversation and her fight with Alessi is already screaming at your face that they're going to be together, blergh), I HATE dramas caused by "not pure blood" / "blood relatives deserve same punishment" and this looks like it's going to be that at full force; the melodrama with the old man dying was sudden, contrived and stupid ("DON'T KILL HIM OR THE REAL ROYAL BLOOD WILL BE LOST" uuugh); and the animation is crumbling more and more, the shot from previous episode at x2 speed was hilarious and this one has some really terrible ones like this (poor Daryun).

So that's my sum up for this episode and this first cour in general. I'll still keep watching it but not commenting about it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I actually agree with a lot of your thoughts, justsomeaccount.

It is kind of a waste to introduce the new girl for her now to be all about Narsus. My hope was that she would bring a lot to the table as the daughter of a bandit chief, and the perhaps play against Aslan who is more sheltered, plus they are closer in age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13