• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Kimi ni Todoke, 2011 Dororon Enma-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
egoist: No one wanted to pay a premium for the more marketable Enma-kun from Bandai Visual, so this one might have an even harder fight.

Though related, Bandai's Demon Prince Enma is essentially a completely different show. NISA just needs to market Dororon Enma-kun's fanservice and humor. If they have premium collectibles like artbook, artwork, poster or maybe figure it might be worth it
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Will buy both of these in a flash if they both have english and japanese dubs. Really excited that these shows got an official license!
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I love Kimi ni Todoke! Would have liked a bluray but I can deal. Hopefully they do premium editions, I can't wait!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
config:
Quote:
Though related, Bandai's Demon Prince Enma is essentially a completely different show.

You're right. Bandai Visual's Enma is less childish and actually more in line with what's popular with American fans rather than American Go Nagai fans. But they charged too much for each dvd and didn't include a dub, so it was doomed to fail. OTOH, I'm not sure who the hell is going to eat up Enma-kun except Go Nagai devotees; but maybe NIS will find a way to break the "curse".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Newbies to Go Nagai don't seem to get that his material is generally that sophomoric. Nothing wrong with it, but if you come in expecting Harry Potter with yokai, you will be disappointed.

Go Nagai and the Williams Street guys should really get together sometime! Laughing
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'll look into Dororon Enma-kun since I like the ecchi-type anime. I may buy this one if I find it pretty good.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Dark: I'm guessing Enma-kun isn't ecchi as much as dirty jokes-kinda humour.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
Racheldoublemm wrote:
I'm glad that a Kimi ni Todoke hard copy can finally be purchased, but man alive, I wanted a dub. I truly wanted a dub for this. I've been constantly wondering what an english speaking Sawako would sound like and......sigh.

To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed. But, it happens and I'd rather have it not dubbed than not picked up.

Pretty much this exactly. I've loved NIS releases so far but Kimi ni Todoke really deserved, maybe even needed a dub. I was rather hoping (and expecting) VIZ would get it as part of their Shoujo Beat line, since they release the manga here already. Oh well. At least there's the possibility of a pretty box/artbook to look forward too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
awww... i guess this means no dub for kimi ni todoke? Sad
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading the manga of Kimi ni Todoke, so I don't feel the need to bother with the anime. On the other hand, I am overjoyed that someone licensed Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera. I really enjoyed the first episode of that show and want to see the rest, I may even go for the premium set. That earlier comment about Viz and Shojo Beat reminded me to pick up Honey and Clover on DVD.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
I'll look into Dororon Enma-kun since I like the ecchi-type anime. I may buy this one if I find it pretty good.

I would not consider it ecchi as much as "naughty." In other words, if you like Benny Hill, you'll like GoNagai. Also the art style is not that "sexy," it follows a more 70s type aesthetic that would not fly in current ecchi anime.
JiseiHakushaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with this Enma-kun show, so no comment, but I think Kimi ni Todoke's license made me more excited than anything. No dub sucks, yeah, but I'm pretty sure an NISA premium release will make up for it.

Say what you like, but I love those big boxes and the stuff that comes with them. xD
SantaBla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:

Also the art style is not that "sexy," it follows a more 70s type aesthetic that would not fly in current ecchi anime.

Pardon me? You telling me that kimura art isn't sexy? You possibly need to get a new pair of glasses.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
YESSSSS! I hoped someone would license KnT! Now to start watching Amazon for it...

Ditto. Does NISA do any anime dubs? Either way, I'm abso picking this up.
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
awww... i guess this means no dub for kimi ni todoke? Sad

Dubs are nice, but I personally thought KnT's voices were some of the best I've heard. They all fit there characters near perfect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5