• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood-C (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
That last episode was......not so great. Seeing Saya spoiler[revert to her true personality, and her fights with both the dog-like elder bairn and Tadayoshi were pretty darn good (although Tadayoshi's other form did look a little bit like a monkey)], but a lot of the emotional moments felt both severely rushed and insincere. It's a bit hard to care about spoiler[class rep's death when he has so little personality, and has been helping the bad guy all along. On that note, however, I find Fumito to be a rather chilling villain. The way he manages to maintain the same friendly demeanor throughout all the events of this episode was freaky, and I'd definitely like to know more about what he's been trying to accomplish. ] I guess we'll probably find out in the movie...

But yeah, those spoiler[monster bunnies were awful. Not only were they hideously animated most of the time, but they were totally non-threatening looking. ]

After reading through this thread and a couple of other anime blogs, I sort of feel like I'm the only person who genuinely enjoyed this series. Sure, it wasn't that well constructed or thought out at times and the last episode was a total mess, but I felt like the ambition and ideas behind it shone through even at its weakest moments. I always felt like I understood just what CLAMP and Production I.G. were trying to achieve, and I found it to be a very fun intellectual puzzle. To each his own, I guess. Laughing
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's what? About 5 hours of my life I'll never get back? I kinda held on hoping that there would be some decent twist or payoff to make it worth it and for me it certainly wasn't worth it.

Really contrived and the end just became gore for gore's sake. Wow, spoiler[empty town the entire show and then hundreds of people conveniently show up to get torn to shreds.] Wow, totally genius. spoiler[I especially loved the bunnies catching people to put in a giant bag and the use of what a blender tool to shred them?] I can see why some people have been saying watch the end for the ridiculousness/comedy value. Yay, spoiler[we now have a one-eye Saya, is she going to be an eye-patch girl now in the movie? Way to hit that Eyepatch of Power trope!]

Well, at least I know I won't be watching the movie and if someone licenses this dreck I can take comfort in knowing I wont be buying.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This is a sum up of my exact feelings towards this show's finale:

O
M
G

W
T
F
?!

spoiler[X/1999 anyone?]

Gotta say that the gore in the final episode was a bit too much. I love horror Anime, but the amount used in Episode 12 was closely cutting it on the Black Comedy genre. spoiler[The blender part and the skewered humans, however, was pretty disgusting.]

Overall: I like this series despite some things. It could have been done better, but then it could have been worse. Perhaps the movie will make up for it? Who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
What

The

Hell

Is there even a hell that can describe this? This sounds like some sort of eighth hell founded by Satan's lesser known cousin Sid.

Christ, Martial Hearts didn't have that convoluted an ending!

But would I watch it again? Only if someone gets the uncut dvd and edits out all the dialogue. Then, we'll talk.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
h boy really what way to lead it movie til next year.

spoiler[1.coffee guy reveal alot that saya can’t eat human but eat monsters.
2.coffee guy time to reveal “winners” & “losers” prize.
3.”losers” get guy want money get pancake face & eaten while twins get one of them got hammered like a rag doll & eaten while other get legs pulled spilt eaten.
4.female research get tonged wrap but saved by saya then saya enter the beast’s tummy to finish the beast.
5.female research running but got hug with big bite drinken to death by saya’s “father” who is a half-human monster.
6.saya vs “father” with saya had to kill him give “father” did care.
7.saya chase coffee guy who summon rabbit monster but got squash so then gun here down but “class pres” tried to help but also get gun down reveal “class pres” did care for saya.
8.bunny monster got many grab all “extra” bag them, eat them, pull heads, eat like a corn, shish kabob them, blend them all up big “coffee blood”, & gun them down yea leave no witness.
9.coffee guy & female person getting away yet female is only in it so she get to be tokyo gov.
10.saya kill the bunny monster chase coffee guy but boom eye shot.
11..saya after all happen yea tears skirt make eye-patch now on revenge on coffey guy & oh dog reveal one of saya’s wishes.]

so yea really besides give i don’t had plan to watch first but wham keep coming then after ep.11 i’m all in & yet really oh boy this so wham to watch.

really at movie to continue it & yea good luck to anyone in new york, texas, california, or canada to whoever going to license & dub you’re so going to need it.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. Please use them next time. Also, you have to put in at least some effort on using correct grammar. - Key]
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think this anime was fair. The final episode had good pacing. I must say that Saya's voice actor is really good! Her voice is a really good fit for this version of Saya, especially when she returns to her normal personality in the last episode. She has a really good warcryspoiler[{right before jumping after the helicopter}.] To think! She was Hinata's voice actor! She is really versatile! She also sings the end song, right? What talent!

spoiler[The bunny monster(s) was a real jerk. Shocked Elder Bairns look to be a sadistic bunch. I hope Saya's eye grows back. That shot from Fumito was merciless. ]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Hrm... well, I watched this over the weekend, and I had already been pretty well spoiled as to how things turn out. First I'll give my general comments, and then I'll move into more spoilerific territory.

In general, the series was, as I think everyone agrees, really well animated. The music selection didn't draw attention to itself. The voice acting was pretty decent (considering I don't speak or understand more than a few dozen words of Japanese, I'm talking more about tone and emotional weight). So, on a technical level, I have no complaints.

As everything here on out is spoilerish to one degree or another, I'll just tag the whole thing...

spoiler[The characters are hard to evaluate due to the plot: all of them, except Saya, were actors, and Saya was under various hypnotic and drug-induced manipulations for virtually the whole series. Still, one of the main things I thought about was how it seemed like none of the actors slipped up. Not one. They all played their parts perfectly, even when people were being sliced-and-diced around them. None of them felt any sympathy at all for Saya except, at the end, her "father" and the class rep. That perfection of acting prowess was, all by itself, enough to seriously strain my suspension of disbelief.

As for Saya herself: considering what had been done to her, I don't have any issues with her character. I was, of course, immensely happy to see the real Saya return at the end. I agree with the class rep that the Saya we saw through most of the series is indeed a part of the real Saya, though maybe not a very big part. She's not some completely heartless monster, unlike Fumito, who *is* a heartless human monster.

So, the plot. Well, hrm... it kind of reminds me of Planescape: Torment (I wont spoil it, but those who have played it know what I'm talking about). The idea of trying to determine if some fundamental quality of a person is, in fact, changable. This appears to have been Fumito's motivation for the experiment. The question as to why he would choose Saya as the subject or why he would go to such lengths to find out are left unaddressed as far as I could tell. This is a problem, because it means that we don't know the motivation for the resulting orgy of violence and death.

The costs involved, and the fact that it appears that there was no outside intervention/involvement for the duration of the experiment is also interesting and suggests that Fumito had some powerful backers, probably including the Japanese government itself. The whole issue of the covenant and the -- oh, what was it called -- the periods of eatting that the Elder Baines are allowed to have would likely make the government want to find a way to change their bargaining position.

Still, the whole idea of the Bloody Truman Show plot doesn't sit all that well with me. The plot, for me, is pretty shaky. And then there is the dog.

WTF is up with that? Why bring in Watanuki, er, the dog? Is it to add another layer to a plot that couldn't stand up on its own? I mean, I liked the dog, but tying in the Saya-verse with the overall CLAMP-verse? I guess, as they say in Japan, that it can't be helped.]

Finally, I want to address the censoring done. At first, I had an instinctive, very negative reaction to censoring. As a rule, I *hate* censorship of any sort. But then as the series progressed and I saw more and more pretty horrific scenes that seemed focused solely on generating emotional reactions, I decided that I didn't mind it so much. I'm not sure *why* these creatures were so fixated on eatting humans, and even less on why they seemed to take delight in tormenting their prey before devouring them (usually while still alive). But, I guess we're not supposed to question that sort of thing: they're monsters, right? What more reason do you need? Well, why not raid the local cattle ranch if you want a lot of meat? Why humans? Are we really all that tasty? Or is it the thrill of killing a fellow sentient creature? Who knows?

This was an... okay show. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but at the same time I didn't think it was a total waste of my time. I give it a (weak) 5 on a scale of 1-10. Without Saya at the end (and some of the badass shit she pulls off) this would be more like a 3 in my book. Such a shame: I was hoping for a lot more real Saya (until I read the reviews of the actual episodes). Maybe the movie will make up for this a bit; maybe not.
Ninety-9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Why the fuc did I stick with this? I couldn't stand how boring it was, nor could I stand Saya's personality or any other character's personality. I cheered when the twins got fucked up, both times. Annoying as fuc and I usually love twins.

What can I say about this series? Our "Hero" fails to save a single person in the entire series. I still don't know what the fuc the talking dog was all about. Every character in the series was either as dull as a block of wood or extremely grating. About 10 people in the first 11 episodes translates to about 1000 people who came out of the woodwork to be killed. Let's figure out how many creative ways we can make people get torn to shreds. Saya remembers in the very last episode and is FINALLY ready to kick some ass....end the series....buy our movie.

As someone above said: guro for the sake of guro. Human blender? c'mon.

Waste of time and bandwidth.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The final episode was my favorite, but really only because it's the only one where things actually started happening, both story-wise and action-wise. Even then that was really just a build-up to the movie. I think I'm gonna try to see the Blu-Ray of just the final episode because I thought the gore leading up to and including the bunny scene was just straight-up comical.

Really though, I question why the series even needed to be there. The first 11 episodes are little more than an emotional build-up, and kind of a cheap one at that. What they build up to is just a prologue to the movie. I say they should've just made a movie already.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
It was a nice return to the way Saya should be. I'm just happy they got enough funding for another movie. Hope it can answer a ton of unanswered questions that went down.

On another note, this series was probably a big turn off for the people who were introduced to that awful Blood+ soap opera that aired on TV. Showing people a side of saya that was a waste of time. Thank you Sony.
amarielah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the minority, but I rather enjoyed this series. Sure, it was campy and horribly paced, but I certainly didn't find it boring. I just wish that they'd chosen to take a different tack with Saya and her "father" - if they'd focused more on that, and fully explored the implications of him spoiler[being half Elder Bairn], then I would've enjoyed it more.

But I like creepy, codependent monster relationships, so that just may be me.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ill revive this old corpse of a thread- anyone has seen the movie? It came out last year and I thought I might check it out to see if it answers any questions, but I am not sure I am determined enough to watch it if it does not...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the series a lot but I was not a fan of the movie. It was very talky (and not interesting talk, either) and didn't really pick up where the series left off.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much hated the show, but I thought the movie was passable. If I recall correctly I thought the movie looked better than the tv show, but the occasional use of CG wasn't the best and felt totally unnecessary. Again my recollections tell me that the story was ok until the end where I found some of the explanations a little weak for my taste. So, in general it looks good, the story is relatively coherent for about 2/3 of the movie, but has a high entry barrier for anyone not familiar with the franchise or latest tv show, and the end kind of bites. At best its a C+ to B- for me and I can't really recommend it to anyone who didn't tolerate or enjoy the tv show. I tend to grade and judge most anime harsher than others so YMMV.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
I might pass on it then. I was not a huge fan of the series, although it got better once Saya stopped singing along, but seems like the movie might not be worth and hour something of my time I can spend on some other series from the massive backlog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12