• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood-C (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araiht

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
2nd episode and I've given up. It's unbearable.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for a ditzy hero flipping a switch and kicking ass, this happens all the time. Just airing right now, Gintama, Beelzebub, Blue Excorcist and Sacred Seven all use this cliche to varying extents.

Well Beelzebub, Blue Exorcist, and Sacred Seven are physical changes that don't alter the characters' personalities. And viewers/readers know why there is a battlemode and why there is a casual mode.

Gintoki on the other hand doesn't flip a switch when he decides to fight.

Saya in Blood-C though has two distinct personalities for an unknown reason, at least unknown to the audience as of episode 2. Stating the obvious that killmode Saya is effective when fighting monsters and that klutzmode Saya is effective when making friends is just repeating what we can see. The explanation of why there is such a dichotomy would help those of us who don't get or like how easily she bounces from extreme to extreme.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
I don't understand all the negativity. It's not like the Blood 'franchise' is Gundam. It consists of one pretty but shallow 50 minute 'movie' and one decent tv series that dragged on too long.

And even compared to those two it is boring and dull.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
There's one aspect about Episode 3 that was very intriguing and it's that spoiler[Saya actually let an innocent man get killed in order to draw out the monster.] I would love to see CLAMP build up on that.
actinia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say after seeing the third episode I am annoyed. Honestly the most agrivating thing about this anime is how each episode builds on nothing! I dont understand who the guy is that is talking in the beginning of the first episode and closing the third. I want to see a face, I mean we are in the third episode we should have a face by now for this unknown speaker.

Also, each episode is like a little story, that jumps and flips as much as Saya does when she fights. Frankly I am going to keep watching out of curiosities sake to see where this is going, but this is a sad disapointment for CLAMP.

Artwise I enjoy it, but the monsters are not vampire/ kirotorin things and I dont like that they have no relevance to humans.

But as I said their is no story, this is why I think people are annoyed since each episode feels like it stands on its own and does not relate to anything. Maybe the fourth will be better, but I am not holding my breath.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
There's one aspect about Episode 3 that was very intriguing and it's that spoiler[Saya actually let an innocent man get killed in order to draw out the monster.] I would love to see CLAMP build up on that.

Well hat just means serious face Saya is like the Saya from the novels and movie in that regard.

I thought episode 2 ending with a promise of some sort of reveal. All I got out of this episode is there are 8 known monster-like things and a slightly biblical reference. So it feels like CLAMP is not only messing with the Blood franchise, they are also dabbling with NGE.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to revise my take on this show. Saya's actually an actress in a new Blood production, and the name similarity is just a coincidence. They film at night, but she goes to school during the day. The documentarian is a film student and wanted to do something weird, though, so only shows the post-production result for the night scenes.

The writer/director of this production is one of those folks who sees a technological, individualistic future, which makes him anti-environment, anti-tradition, and even anti-public transit, and it shows in his monsters. Saya, on the other hand, really enjoys things like the breeze and puppies, but has to sort of hold back so as not to be on bad terms with the director.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok this 3rd episode was actually a little better for me. They reduced the amount of annoying singing, upped the creepiness factor and had enough of a bit of mystery going to keep me around for another episode at least. If they had done this last episode I probably would not have been so annoyed previously. However, I'm still not liking these elongated pre-raphaelite type figures that tend to get very flat once we pull the view back to about medium range.

Hey, what's up with Saya wearing the same school uniform all the time, particularly during her monster slaying? Does she not have a change of clothes? Must have really good detergent because bloodstains and other icky ooze can be a pain to get out. She probably has some secret closet with about 100 school uniforms hanging up and one shrine maiden outfit. Smile
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Ok this 3rd episode was actually a little better for me. If they had done this last episode I probably would not have been so annoyed previously.

Yea, but since this series is supposed to be 12 episodes long, they apparently don't have much of a story to tell (or will keep everything for the movie).

Quote:
Hey, what's up with Saya wearing the same school uniform all the time, particularly during her monster slaying? Does she not have a change of clothes?

Because shrine maiden outfit and school uniform are the two fetish outfits of anime characters.

Blood-C is a perfect example of horrible, flat, empty, superficial slice of life (Bunny Drop is an example of slice of life done well), why can't they just stick to the action, mystery ... at least that's doesn't make you feel as if your brain cells are dying while watching -_-
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Saya in Blood-C though has two distinct personalities for an unknown reason, at least unknown to the audience as of episode 2. Stating the obvious that killmode Saya is effective when fighting monsters and that klutzmode Saya is effective when making friends is just repeating what we can see.

I just wanted to point out the ludicrous fact that klutzmode Saya is a klutz (duh) but yet is also her school's "star athlete." Sense? None.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to write this series off and move on. Even if it wasn't a "Blood" show, it would still be boring and shoddily slopped together. Rolling Eyes
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

I just wanted to point out the ludicrous fact that klutzmode Saya is a klutz (duh) but yet is also her school's "star athlete." Sense? None.

You don't know anything about this school. I can't imagine any reasonable high school administrator approving a uniform like that, so for all I know, "Tripping Over Nothing," or TONing, may be the primary athletic event. The challenge is to minimize the time between when the first and last body parts hit the floor. Saya has mastered the perfect flat dive, earning the respect of all.

In any case, we haven't seen anyone else's home life. Maybe they all trip and fall over nothing, and Saya does it the least. It's one of the side-effects of the curse that spawns all these monsters. Sure, no one writes about it in ancient texts because it's kind of silly in comparison, but that's just how magic works. Just look at what it did to that dog.

I don't know what you're talking about, this show is great. Playing "Fill in the Blanks" has never been more fun.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
So Saya the sword master can't chop up a meal for her father without messing it up. At least they reduced the amount of her singing.

The third episode was not tragic, but it is a 3 episode of a short series and so far nothing happened*. The monsters get bigger and more 'jellier' each time, he fight was not particularly impressive, the tension or character development was equal to zero and the plot consisting of eating with friends and then slaying a ridiculously looking monster for the third time in a row seems quite repetitive. . I really disliked the first Blood movie and I am surprised how much better it looks after watching the Clamp's take on it.

*I might have missed considerable parts of the episode while rolling my eyes.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:04 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:

You don't know anything about this school. I can't imagine any reasonable high school administrator approving a uniform like that, so for all I know, "Tripping Over Nothing," or TONing, may be the primary athletic event. The challenge is to minimize the time between when the first and last body parts hit the floor. Saya has mastered the perfect flat dive, earning the respect of all.

In any case, we haven't seen anyone else's home life. Maybe they all trip and fall over nothing, and Saya does it the least. It's one of the side-effects of the curse that spawns all these monsters. Sure, no one writes about it in ancient texts because it's kind of silly in comparison, but that's just how magic works. Just look at what it did to that dog.

I don't know what you're talking about, this show is great. Playing "Fill in the Blanks" has never been more fun.

Wow! Just... WOW!!! ... I hope you're joking!! Seriously... I really do hope you are just joking!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

Wow! Just... WOW!!! ... I hope you're joking!! Seriously... I really do hope you are just joking!

I... guess? I'd be fascinated to hear what the "not joking" would mean in this context.

It's CLAMP. Don't think of it as an attempt at coherent storytelling. Think of it as a game show. "These three contestants are going to have to take the random fragments that make up a CLAMP show, and somehow piece them together into a consistent story." *DING* "I've got it! Chobits is about one robot's quest to invent the pupil!" *applause*
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Its kinda like planking, maybe TONing will become a phenomenon with hundreds of YouTube videos of people doing the TON? Maybe even a world record for most people doing a TON at one time or even an Olympic event? Laughing

Reminds me of Sasameki Koto when they were trying to teach Sumika (Super athletic black belt tall girl) to be cute by slipping on a banana peel (because clumsy girls are cute) and she was having a hard time with the whole idea which was more refreshing than Saya's face splat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12