• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood-C (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninety-9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Huh... interesting that the first episode is already floating around. I couldn't resist going to take a peek. There are some interesting trends across the 3 series:

Saya 1: berserk killer
Saya 2: high school jock
Saya 3: dojikko
Conclusion: The Sayas have been getting less badass at first glance.

Saya 1: vaguely Asian girl in Vietnam with a Japanese sword
Saya 2: apparently Japanese high school student living in Okinawa
Saya 3: Yamato high school student training to be a miko
Conclusion: The Sayas have been getting more and more Japanese.

Saya 1: spoiler[berserk]
Saya 2: spoiler[gradually learns to be a vampire slayer]
Saya 3: spoiler[apparently life long training to be an exorcist]
Conclusion: spoiler[The Sayas have been getting more and more professional about slaying evil.]

for the record, I just saw Blood: The last Vampire tonite.

Few things you have to remember.

First, Saya 1 and Saya 2 are supposed to be the same person. During Vietnam, she did go berserk because she was forced out of hibernation.

Secondly, Early in Saya's life (1800s), she was peaceful, but she became more of a vampire/Chiropteran slayer over ~150 years. She simply forgot most of her past when she awoke in modern times, she had to re-learn how to be a badass killer. I think the main point of blood+ was that she was re-learning how to be more human, to have friends and family.

I don't recall where she was from, but Saya from the first 2 series was never Japanese. She appeared more Asian, but I'm not even sure of that, recall where she and Diva were born. Now, Saya 2 awoke in Japan, her father was American and her brothers were half-Japanese. She was simply raised in a Japanese culture before remembering her past.

As far as Saya 3, Who the hell knows. Obviously Japanese-based character. If she happens to be Saya's daughter (actually, Diva's daughter) then she would have to have a blue-eyed twin sister. I don't think this is the case, I think CLAMP is just ripping off the name and bastardizing the series.

Anyway, There are very few series that I hate, but I cannot stand Blood-C in any way. I mean everything about it is terrible. Can't stand any of the characters, from the get-go, not even the twins (clones that speak in sync???), and I normally like twins. Also, unless the aspect ratio on my TV is off, why is everyone 10-foot tall twigs with giant breasts? (see the basketball scene)

The overly animated sword is ridiculous, fights are boring, monsters are ridiculously stupid, and she has yet to protect or save anyone. Seriously, this is Pokemon meets Blood+. Avoiding CLAMP like the plague, from now on.

Last edited by Ninety-9 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ninety-9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, one more thing. At this time, it seems pretty obvious that the entire town is somehow connected to Saya, everyone seems to be in on it, except Saya, and possibly some of her classmates. I really can't stand to watch more of this crap, but I do wonder if that mysterious boy in her class turns out to be a Haji (or similar), it also seems to me that the cafe is putting blood in her coffee and cake. Unknown to her, she needs human blood to survive. Similar to Saya 2's blood transfusions.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
You do know the Blood series aren't in the same universe/reality, right?
Ninety-9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
You do know the Blood series aren't in the same universe/reality, right?
Nothing, that I can see, indicates that Saya 1 and 2 are from a parallel universe, only that they have a slightly different artist interpretation. The fact remains that Saya 1 and 2 were both berserk killing machines during Vietnam, they both remained youthful from their 'normal' childhood in the early 1800s, they both had blood that could kill the Chiropterans, and they both followed orders from an agent known as "David."

To say that Saya is becoming more Japanese is way off, considering Saya (at least Saya 2) was born in Bordeaux, France from a Mummified chiropteran found in Iceland. Joel's diary is even in English.

To say that she was getting less badass, well, let's remember that we only know Saya 1 over the course of a couple of days and we know Saya 2 over the course of almost 175 years, not to mention, she starts out with amnesia.

I'm not even going to get into Saya 3, she can be from an alternate universe, she can be an outerspace alien, for all I care. It's probably too early to let things play out, but this series isn't even remotely similar. There are no chiropterans, there is no David or book of Joel, apparently her sword is magical, and her blood seems to be powerless against the big bad buoy, flower, and trolly monsters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm going to revise my take on this show.

That's pretty much where I am after episode 3. It's just gotten so ridiculous that it's becoming great fun to MST3K it. Or even better, do as you've done with your marvelous alternate fill-in-the-gaping-holes storylines. Very Happy

The biggest mystery for me so far is wondering what the extra loop of sleeve on the left arm of the school uniforms is for...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Oh-ho-ho-ho, gosh, we have some real wits in this thread. I guess it's too much to expect that those who aren't enjoying this show, as I am, will drop it and leave this thread. Naaaaaaah, I guess that would make too much sense. Rolling Eyes
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
I imagine since this is Blood and CLAMP. The people who are not enjoying it are just waiting for the other shoe to drop in hopes for a good explanation for all this fuwa fuwa nonsense. Plus, for those of use who are completionists the series is short so it's not much of a task to see it through to the end even if it isn't great. There's no thread on this forum setup purely for praise, Blood-C is no exception.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
Watching a show that you dislike for "completionist" purposes is idiotic beyond belief. I myself have persisted with mediocre shows that had things that bothered me, but even then there was usually some other counter-balancing positive factor that kept me going. This show is offering a particular kind of experience and I can understand anybody who is not on board with it. But if you don't like eggplant, then don't eat eggplant dishes. To come back week after week and say essentially, "yep, still don't like eggplant" seems kind of pointless, but unfortunately, I've come to expect a certain level of howling stupidity from some anime fans.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
For my part, I'm just stalling. I do enjoy the show (I think), but it isn't really providing anything new to talk about. I'm not a completionist, but I do want to see where this show goes. But until it actually starts going, what would you have us talk about?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not trying to tell anybody what to talk about. I was starting to perceive a pattern of, "lolololol, this suxxors!!!" that was beginning to irritate me because I think a lot of it is based on just not vibing on this type of show. I can tell you that shit gets really old, really fast. If bagging on a show week after week for basically the same thing is what gets you off then have at it, but I think it's pretty retarded.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Blood, thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread. The Completist Defense is my new favorite thing. ever.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Fair enough.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Itsuki character. It might just be that I'm tired of male characters who lack composure, but it's so much fun to see a character take being so utterly rejected in such good humor. I think it reflects an awareness on the part of the creators, too, about how heavy-handedly they wrote Saya's denseness, and they're just having a little fun with it.

Unfortunately, I rather suspect it will turn out that [plot twist] will reveal that he's actually [secret identity], and it will stop being fun and start being a "kinda-sorta-bad guy with an obsession with the lead" trope, but I guess we'll see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
I had the same thoughts about Itsuki that you did, Yttrbio and it wouldn't shock me if your speculation is correct. I suspect Saya wouldn't be quite so oblivious to him and interested in the so-called "bad boy" if he was a true white hat. And in terms of speculation that is sparked by tropes, I don't have a good feeling about Saya's dad making it all the way through the series.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And in terms of speculation that is sparked by tropes, I don't have a good feeling about Saya's dad making it all the way through the series.

He's a main character's father figure voiced by Keiji Fujiwara in a monster hunting show. What could possibly go wrong? I'm putting my chips on him being in it for the long haul.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not trying to tell anybody what to talk about. I was starting to perceive a pattern of, "lolololol, this suxxors!!!" that was beginning to irritate me because I think a lot of it is based on just not vibing on this type of show. I can tell you that shit gets really old, really fast. If bagging on a show week after week for basically the same thing is what gets you off then have at it, but I think it's pretty retarded.

The only shit that gets old is having to defend my anime watching habits and people like you acting as if it is uncommon for fans to want to finish a show/series they have started. I am enjoying this ride on my terms not yours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12