• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote

AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: People with magic powers are close to being wiped out. Just as the balance of power and military might had once shifted from swords to sorcery, it shifts once again to guns. Takeru Kusanagi goes to "AntiMagic Academy," a training facility for Inquisitors of Heretics who crack down on the dwindling threat posed by magic users. However, Takeru cannot use guns at all and can only fight with a sword. As a result, he is relegated to the 35th Test Platoon, the motley "small fry platoon" for poor students. One day, Ōka Ōtori, the ultra-elite pistol master who already has her qualifications for witch-hunts, joins the platoon.
----------------------------------

Adapting the light novel of the same name.

The preview is here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
As I read the description I was more and more interested... until we got to "However, Takeru cannot use guns at all and can only fight with a sword", where my interest instantly vanished.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Despite being really cliche and generic, I actually thought the episode was decent considering that it stays true to its premise and doesn't fool around with some of the serious stuff, particular at the end. The action was nice too in terms of content and choreography.

The character designs obviously reminds me of Nourin.

Not sure how I feel about Otori yet until we find out more about her. She seems to be one of those tougher girls though so expecting more from her besides just those fighting skills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
A lot of stuff happened, but it was fun. And the main guy wields a Japanese sword and can cut bullets in half. Awesome stuff.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
To try to put it most apt, there are enough of "these" magic academies this season, maybe after the run is complete I might consider consuming yet another season of this type of content but this won't even be on my back burner during the initial release short of hearing something amazing occurring.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I can take magic (but not really!!) high-school settings, they're cliché and all but they can still work when used right. I can take "walks into girl changing" comedy routine, they don't usually excite me nor make me laugh but sometimes they might, and if they manage to stay away from "girl hits boy while yelling pervert" that almost counts as a plus in this saturated routine.

What actually got me really uninterested in this was how I initially liked Ohtori, because she saw what these characters were: awful. But then the show went and gave her a background-exposition dialogue that felt entirely unfitting, and as soon as the main character said something as simple as "no stop that" she started crying and saying how the real reason she wasn't friendly to these people wasn't because they're terrible at their jobs and generally just terrible people, but because she has a grimdark purpose and friends would set her back. In the space of one episode I went from liking a character to not wanting to see her again.

Initially I was going to even drop the novels from my backlog, but seeing how everyone's saying this was extremely rushed, I'm not going to anymore. Which doesn't mean I'll get to them any sooner nor do I know if this means I'll like them any better, maybe without the rushing I would've just dropped it at a later time. Time will tell.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So this is the third magical academy, light novel like anime, with a guy who is seen as part genius and part failure, with a serious red haired girl, of the season. And I don't think it is just getting old, but the antics of this sort of premise are not exactly good. Okay it is probably a failing on my part that I liked the goofy headmaster, the messy haired mechanic attitude, and some of the earnesty of the sniper with changing facial expressions with getting upset that the person the walking in scene made the guy cry instead. Little aspects for me. And okay, there is a partially interesting aspect here with this darker tone that appeared at the end with apparently a gruesome scene and a broken female character who was about to execute. That actually has me a little interested.

Although that tonal shift is a little sudden for this show that I don't think has done the best to do some slower world and character building. Which makes me think they are squishing maybe a bit too much into the series to fit things in. Also, characters feel like they have been in something else, like that Ninja that appeared kind of like the one from Trinity Seven.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really dwell too much on the magic high school aspect of it, because there was nothing (in this episode at least) resembling a school setting. It's very much a military institution with each squad doing their own thing rather than attending classes.

At any rate, I would say it's the worst of this sort of show airing this season because unlike the other two it's got typical LN adaptation rushed pacing. Just had to mark those scenes off their check lists, transitions and sense of time be damned.

Still, nothing particularly painful about it, even if the designs are kind of meh.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wouldn't really dwell too much on the magic high school aspect of it, because there was nothing (in this episode at least) resembling a school setting. It's very much a military institution with each squad doing their own thing rather than attending classes.

Which makes it very different from the first episodes of The Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight, right?

Actually the setting of more workforce makes me think of Rail Wars, or, perhaps last season's Sky Wizards Academy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Which makes it very different from the first episodes of The Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight, right?

I'm not denying the similarities, but people tend to get tunnel vision when it comes to those. There are tons of high schools in the world, but no two are exactly the same.

But yeah, definitely is more similar to Sky Wizards.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Actually the setting of more workforce makes me think of Rail Wars, or, perhaps last season's Sky Wizards Academy.

Anti-magic ends up being a very different beast compared to the more standard offerings. Without spoiling anything darker scenes like the ones at the beginning and end of the ep are common. That sort of tone seems pretty rare in these magic high school things from what I've seen. Of course who knows how the adaptation itself will be tone wise. Considering the pacing I wouldn't be surprised if the shows tone ends up rather...jarring to say the least.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
To all of the above: Although I don't disagree with any of it, why dwell on the similarities between AAT35TP and any other anime past or current? There is almost no such thing as an anime that isn't derivative and full of tropes so if you are going to down-check an anime on that basis you won't be watching much of anything.

It is true this anime has presented nothing that seems unique so far but I would want to watch at least 3 episodes before saying its worthless. It is pretty obvious that the main guy is going to end up with and with the respect of the main girl, whose boob he managed to squeeze.

She can fight a mech with nothing but a handgun and her own agility, but somehow can't dodge a tripped doofus. Aw, jeez.

So I'm going with the flow for now.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This not a magic school. Do you people read the title? Those kids don't use magic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Super powered School is the better choice.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Eh, the OP song has style to it but not impressive to me.

Ootori shared some of her vulnerable side this episode. I think she should rely more on her comrades though...rather than seeing them as obstacles on her road to achieve revenge.

However, I think the episode's action was decent on most parts along with the OST. Lapis also throws some cryptic messages this episode. When it comes to terrorism, I suppose the characters like the 35th Test Platoon have to be ready for anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7