• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
TRNielson wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
If they don't want to put the effort in, why join the band at all?

I imagine most of them just wanted something fun to do.

I highly doubt that all but one of them want to go for Nationals. It's more likely that when many of them started raising their hands for it, the ones who didn't want to go for Nationals raised their hands anyways for fear of being seen as outcasts. It has been scientifically proven that people are likely to agree to something they don't like simply because everyone else does.

Pretty much. Nobody wants to be that person who stands up and says: "No, I don't care, let's just screw around". Especially when a bunch of others are really serious about things. But yeah, the truth is that's how a ton of people are gonna feel. They really don't care if they're any good. They aren't really interested in working hard to develop their musical ability. They're just there to hang out with friends, have some fun and generally to have something to do. And I don't actually think that's wrong to be honest. It's an unfortunate conflict with those who are interested in seriously developing their musical ability but I feel like it's actually pretty unfair for those serious people to claim the moral high ground like everyone is wrong for not taking this as serious as they do.

I see one of two things happening:

1. The ones who just want to screw around and have fun see the ones wanting to succeed putting in their time to actually practice and become motivated to do the same.

2. The ones who want to succeed and the ones who want to have fun start butting heads, causing absolute turmoil within the band.

Personally, I'm hoping for #2, even though #1 is far more likely. I think watching them all "duke it out" could have some interesting narrative possibilities.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
It's a different kind of man that can literally tell you how much you suck while still keeping a sincere smile on his face.

No doubt that's why they cast Sakurai Takahiro for the role. He is a master at voicing icy smiling characters, as anyone who heard his performances as the Medicine Seller in Nakamura Kenji's "Bake Neko" and Mononoke shows can attest.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well their ages really is the time that students are meant to put in the work themselves for what they want. Their teacher spoiler[was kind of cool in how he told them that he will not hold their hands and they have to put some work in]. I think that there is a problem with the captain in that she often sounds so unsure, sure she can be diplomatic but she needs to really get them going, so far Asuka seems to be helping in that area.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

At this point I think the advisor is an asshole.

First he cons them into saying they want to go to the Nationals, and it was a very cynical con job. Next he tells them they suck and will get nothing from him until they are good. This is almost a blueprint for failure.

Yes the section leaders can assist the new people. However he either doesn't know or doesn't care if they are competent to do this. He is presumably aware of the problem with the 2nd years and is doing nothing to fix this. He should be going from section to section as they practice and offering advice and encouragement. He should be using that icy tone of his on the bad apples from the second year. He should be encouraging those that quit in disgust to come back.

Going to the Nationals is something that should be a goal after three years of building a really good band. Realistically impossible for this group in one year. In any case, why should making music be about competition?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
First he cons them into saying they want to go to the Nationals, and it was a very cynical con job. Next he tells them they suck and will get nothing from him until they are good. This is almost a blueprint for failure.[/b]

But he did not force them into going for Nationals, he gave them two choices and said either one is fine. Even if a good number of them actually wanted the fun and did not raise their hand for the fun track because they felt that it was unfair to those who did want to be serious, then it was still a decision by the students that they thought that it was important not to betray those people.

He has essentially given an ultimatum against the 2nd years by saying that he won't be involved with them until they take things seriously. If they quit because that environment is not what they want, it may very well bring back those that left before. The third years are in their last year for competition, now is the last time for them, and they already have enough experience to know when they are at acceptable level to ask for help from the person who will conduct for them as a band.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

That is what I mean by a con job. That was a choice that was no choice. Even the kids understand that. They discussed that everyone went along so as not to be in conflict. They had no discussion, no time to think about it and an open vote. He got just exactly what he wanted. Manipulative SOB.

It was a false choice to begin with. There is a lot of space between goofing around making memories and winning contests at a national level. The goal should be making good music and being a good reflection on the school. Going to the Nationals should be an outgrowth of that. Again, since when is music all about competition.

Since this is anime he may succeed in manipulating them into working like idiots for an unattainable goal. In real life he probably would have simply put the nails in the coffin of the band club.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@DuskyPredator

...That was a choice that was no choice. Even the kids understand that. They discussed that everyone went along so as not to be in conflict. They had no discussion, no time to think about it and an open vote. He got just exactly what he wanted. Manipulative SOB. .

We don't even know if Taki-sensei wanted the band to go to Nationals. If anything, it would seem he would rather have the band goof off. It would be more beneficial to have high schoolers relax rather than will a bunch of lazy kids to do something without passion (we've seen him in Ep 1 listening to music so he would have been pissed that he has to wade through mediocrity.) As the third year explained to Kumiko, spoiler[the past first & second years got into an argument about taking the club seriously or not and promptly quit (I would not be surprised if Taki-sensei was involved somehow).
]

Quote:
There is a lot of space between goofing around making memories and winning contests at a national level. The goal should be making good music and being a good reflection on the school....Again, since when is music all about competition.

Same can be said about anything: sports, visual art, performance art, games, etc. Not everyone, esp. not freshmen high schoolers, know how to balance out fun with productivity. This goes back to Sapphire and Hazuki stating they already made the decision to not play around in high school and take things seriously (more so for Hazuki since she's a total novice). It's far more believable to have a room of unsure students go with the crowd & lie about not wanting to clown around than destroy the status quo like what Midori did.

Quote:
Since this is anime he may succeed in manipulating them into working like idiots for an unattainable goal. In real life he probably would have simply put the nails in the coffin of the band club.

Possibly, either way he would get a paycheck. I've been in a tennis club in my sophomore year of high school and, after a few small tournaments, the coach decided she didn't wanted to train us anymore. Not that I cared, after all I was a 16/7 year old who just wanted an excuse to exercise before I spend the rest of the night watching anime. *shrug*

Again, I don't find it manipulative because, no matter what happens, its up to the students to continue or quit; if Taki-sensei was truly forcing them, he would make some sort of threat like telling the other teachers to fail them IMO. He can't ant won't because everyone has other things to worry about. Why should any teacher give a damn if students don't care either esp. a recreational club that's not being graded on?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
@keichitsu0305
I'm sorry, but if you can't deal with music played badly you have no business working with an band that includes complete amateurs who have never played an instrument. This guy is just useless.

Yes it is up to the students to work hard. It is his job to encourage that. It is amazing what a little positive reinforcement and encouragement can do with kids that age. You suck, go away until you are good, just doesn't cut it. It he worked at a specialized music school where you had to have years of experience and an audition to enter, his attitude might make more sense but would still be bad. The fact that he gets paid regardless just makes it worse.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Having had a violin teacher when I was a teenager whose teaching method was "that was crap, do it again" without telling me what I'd done wrong or why it was wrong, I can certainly agree that that is [i]not[/not] the way to get anyone to improve at anything, let alone a shy teenager. I nearly quit the violin because of her, but I found a better teacher instead.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The problem is the kids don't have their shit together on a basic level. One style of teaching is to hold them by their hands every step of the way, sure, but it's not the best style. He's putting the ball in their court, but they're just looking at it not sure what to do. It doesn't help that they have weak leadership and they can't even do something simple like chose a song for themselves.

His job is club advisor, not club leader.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
His job is club advisor, not club leader.

Then he needs to be advising someone, anyone. If the leadership is weak he needs to help them get stronger. He should be a presence. He doesn't need to teach each individual but he should be telling the section leaders how they are doing. Basically all he did was say "go away don't bother me until you are good". If they could do that on their own they don't really need him at all.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Having a club advisor is more a formality thing. Most clubs are lucky to even get one that has any knowledge about whatever thing the club is involved in.

Anyways, there are some things the kids need to figure out for themselves. They at least need to get to the starting line with their own feet first. And if they aren't willing to do that much they're lost causes. If they're to be taught they need to be willing to learn.

Plus he did warn them things would be harsher if they chose to aim for nationals.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
There's a point in everything where all you need is just experience. There's nothing to encourage or point out. They're not on beat and they don't play together, even they can tell that. The only advice he can give them is "practice more", which is exactly what he told them. If they just wanna play together badly, they don't need an advisor, they can just show up and play random song without him being involved.

Aiming for the national was there "goal" even before he was there, he even told them that it'd be a good idea to change it. Ultimately they have nothing but themselves to blame. If he had forced them to chose "goof around" they'd resent him for choosing for them.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
I would personally hate to have him as a band director. Not once have I ever seen a director turn on a metronome and go "play this piece" then say "you suck" and that's it. It is EXTREMELY lazy for him to do so as it is the conductor's job to mold the band's sound to their liking (balance,solos/soli parts). Even at my university's wind ensemble (top ensemble in the system) the conductor is expected to give feedback which is constructive. Also being a a-hole to your students is a BAD idea in music. Some will react by trying to prove you wrong and work their butts off but others will just quit (even dedicated people have a limit to the amount of **** they're willing to take). I learned in band that it is better to "hold their hand" than to be super strict and harsh to get the results you want. I personally have no respect for him as a conductor now. Every instance of good bands that I have personally seen the students respect and like their director.

Also I want to point out that if you are not having fun while playing music you are LIMITING yourself. The best players can play effortlessly and have fun doing it because a lot of wind instrument playing deals with relaxation. If you're tense you're fingers move slower/less accurately, your sound suffers, and you are more prone to make mistakes. Also practicing more is not quite a correct answer. You must also practice CORRECTLY. There are a ton of techniques I have learned over the years on practicing music so I won't go into detail but if you practice incorrectly the results will be MUCH less than if you did so properly.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I'm no music expert, but I have no idea what kind of feedback he could give when asked what was wrong other than "everything."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22