• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ultimate Otaku Teacher (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

So he showed how great a teacher he is again by not calling the police during a kidnapping incident, and instead getting his students involved in what could be described as a gang fight. He also likely did not turn in a guy who was planning to I think rape a 15 year old girl. You know, because setting up a camera and then cutting pieces of the girl's clothes is not a pretty offensive thing for a character to do.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Did this episode remind anyone of spoiler[Steins;Gate?]
I think it's mainly because of the technology, experimental feel, and even CERN being mentioned. Wasn't too interested in this though but I do hope they will make this arc (final one I think for this adaptation) more exciting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

And so ends Denpa Kyoushi, Ultimate Otaku Teacher. The episode ends with him pretty much giving out an app to students that allows them to cheat, because that will help their futures. That is a horrible thing for a teacher to do, as if it would do anything other than make many students waste their whole time because they don't have to put any effort into things. And I really think it leads into the major problem with this show, it serves the audience of high school like people what they want to hear. A character who can put all the energy into things he wants to do, be instantly amazing at all of it, and things always work out how they want.

Junichiro is in no way an ultimate teacher. We have been shown that he does not care about his students past finding them interesting. We don't even see that much of how he teaches them, except apparently we are meant to believe some weird game thing is doing a good job of it. I really find it really hard to buy that Junichiro gives good lessons to his students, almost unfairly I am automatically comparing him to Assassination Classroom's Koro-sensei. On the surface Koro-sensei looks horrible for a dangerous monster who trains kids to kill him, and can act rather silly at times. But there is a world of difference that it really feels like Koro-sensei wants them to be better people, that the ideas of him creating individual work sheets is more believable than some game, and actually improve the student.

The show can be quite cheesy, where the writing really is not that good, and is quite ham fisted in getting a story across. And it can also be quite inconsistent. Take for example the strangely out of place ghost arc, while before we knew our main character for being excited for manga like turn of events, but suddenly he starts denying this one thing like it is his only weakness, before totally being okay about it later. Junichiro's character changes depending on what they need him to do, at one point showing that his weakness is something like not being able to run for long, but later he seems pretty able, the excuse being because of his YD. You can't just make a character change so much, even Hayate has the constant weakness in studying.

There were some okay arcs, I like to point towards the MMO one, although even that is shaky in places. Also mention the arc essentially has him passing off making his students play a game as teaching war history, which it is pretty clear is not the case. There actually is not wrong with the idea of a teacher going to the level of students, or being able to teach something through the aid of a game, I have even heard of some interesting cases. But the show goes past that point. Some of the other characters themselves are interesting, until they are thrown into the whims of the main character like it is the right thing to do. All those characters seem to then believe that Junichiro will do what is right, but the show really goes against that with its other themes. Junichiro once toyed around with a student who had a crush on a character, just so he could get revenge on them, his actions impacting on two students separate from the one he wanted revenge on, and in the same episode he pretty much taught a young kid to gamble until they win.

I am giving it a rating of Weak, and what I find a little upsetting is from comments I have read in places that really think this idea of the main character is good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
One of the weakest shows I've seen especially with some of the later episodes and finale. I think only the first few episodes got me interested with Kagami's character but as time went on, it just didn't click for me. Sigh.

Glad to see it's over.

I think my favorite arc might of been the Twins Arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4