• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18.

Well, from one of the weakest episodes to one of the strongest <3 <3 <3 Lovable from start to finish, and when you think spoiler[it's going to do another fake-out, greatest-friend-Suna solves the misunderstanding again (every romcom need a Suna, really) and they finally give the solid kiss we were waiting for]. Perfect~~
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Good work Suna, your sacrifice was not in vain. Wink

Lots of cute stuff, and in general good stuff of this series. The birthday song. Anime hyper
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
This show...this show is going to give us all cavities! It is way too sweet! Suki da! Smile

Episode 18 was great, with callbacks to nearly everything important in the show's universe--how Takeo & Rinko first met (through the friend repeating the groper story and the cake), Takeo's "practice kiss" on Suna, Ai's crush on Takeo, and Takeo's mom's pregnancy. And it was capped with a kiss!

I so hope that lawsuit against the Happy Birthday song copyright holders win so that nothing will have to be changed in the English release. I also hope they dub it. I want to share this show with everyone! It is too cute to stay confined to a sub-only viewing audience.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

Beautiful episode! A new life is bought to the world thanks to Takeo's mom. Speaking of which, I find Takeo's family to be very entertaining to watch each time they get screen time.

Not too much Yamato/Takeo chemistry this week but I liked how the episode gave more insight on Takeo's family. I especially liked the way his father is portrayed in this series with his manliness Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
SQUEEE!!!
Human transmutation achieved! Very Happy
I'm a sucker for baby stories, so I was really looking forward to this, and it had a lot going for it: baby pictures (Baby Takeo looks like a little Sumo wrestler!), Takeo's mom being a superhero herself, the story behind Takeo's parents, Suna being a perfect gentleman (as in every episode)... I think the only thing missing was cake.

I figured that Takeo's mom would have some sort of complication to add drama to the show, and wondered how they were going to do it (as she's always been portrayed with Takeo's superstrength). Giving her a complication as a result of helping another pregnant woman was a good way to do it. Drama from strength.
I hope we find out the baby's name next episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
SQUEEE!!!

Curses, I wanted to post a "squeee" and go on about babies.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Have to say my favorite part was when Takeo tried to set up Suna with his new baby sister. Laughing

But yes this was a wonderful heartfelt episode and I loved learning how his parents met.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
{I feel compelled to ask: Do you enjoy irritating moderators? I've deleted the truly irritating part of your post. ~nobahn}

By the way, it "only" took 18 episodes for main pair to kiss. Even for super romantic story that is all around platonic love, it is too long.

Artistic rendition of the main lad is inconsistent, because with naked chest he looks like a muscular guy, but otherwise is despicted as shapeless, sloppy figure. For purpose of the story and its charm, the latter fits better (sorry to muscular bodies lovers), but I wish authors would be decisive in execution of lad's image either way -- not as it happens now, when it is somewhat confusing.

It was great to see at least part of what women go through during pregnancy and birth. Authors had to cut the incredibly painful birthing process, though, because the project is meant to be light, rather than realistic.

That said, I wish there were more anime that could be honest about what women experience during their lives -- not only pregnancy and birth, but also monthly cycle, which can be quite bloody and painful. This should not be a banned theme, there is nothing to be shy or embarrassed about. (I hate when hypocrites in Instagram/Facebook management ban posts/pictures about it as "obscene"; it is insulting.)

Creative/artistic media have to depict those things properly, because men are by far mostly clueless about all of this, and do not pay due respect towards women; nor they develop empathy where it would be perfectly appropriate. Even more: sometimes men engage in arrogant misogynist "jokes" about, for instance, female mood swings without understanding what is happening, and why, and this is not fair at all.

(I am not a female, so I am in position to talk about this without fanatic "male rights" advocates calling me "whiny" or "feminazi" or whatever else -- versus what they sometimes do towards women, if they dare to voice concerns over any of aforementioned issues.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I still can not cease to feel uncomfortable by the fact that authors had to make the lass look and sound as immature girl -- apparently, to satisfy fetish of some of the audience that might be paedophilic. Make the lass taller, at least. Another aspect that adds to it is that the lad looks and sounds like giant slightly overweight thirty five year old man, not a fifteen years old youth; this adds to the creepiness factor.

Are you kidding me?!

This is a shoujo show. This is made with the female demographic in mind. The difference between the couple is largely meant to be how they can appear so different, yet so perfect for each other. Yamato oozes girly, and characterised by being a small little thing compared to even other girls around her, but she is perfect the manliness that is Takeo.

Could Yamato be largely a kind character made for girls who might feel "small" themselves, but perhaps some insecurities about other parts of themselves? Perhaps, but she is not some fetish characterised to attract paedophilia. Maybe it is confusing that the main character is actually the guy, that this is popular with both genders, but it is a shoujo. Do you have petite people?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Mm, that was a cute episode with Valentine themes.

I find it amusing that the guys are so eager to receive the chocolates, not that it should be surprising though given the occasion. I'm also glad to see that Takeo was able to receive Yamato's feelings like usual.

The ending potentially sets up for the next episode though and I have a feeling that Suna will be involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Maki was cute when she did the look.

Looks like we get some Suna plot soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
"She looks like a Saiyan." Laughing Laughing Laughing I also was laughing my butt off over the subtle business with Takeo tossing his school bag.

I'm glad their friends finally figured out how to hook up without them. If only real life worked out so smoothly.

The whole episode I kept getting the impression they were setting the stage to start addressing Suna's non-existent love life, and then that ending. Smile Looking forward to next week!

Max South wrote:
Artistic rendition of the main lad is inconsistent, because with naked chest he looks like a muscular guy, but otherwise is despicted as shapeless, sloppy figure.

That's because guys like him have trouble finding clothes that fit well, unless they're rich and have personal tailors.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Cool, a bit more focus on Suna. I'm fine with that.

It's interesting to see more of his past. Yukika has quite a shy voice imo although fitting for her character. It looks like she has feelings for Suna because he helped her in the past. Cute. I also like how Takeo supports her too like a good friend.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

Yukika is adorable. Yes the stalking thing can be seen as a bit of a bad side, but I can kind of sympathise with being far too afraid to talk to your crush that you cannot do anything other than watch from a distance. From a character standpoint I like a huge amount of her characteristics from being shy, adorkable, and even the little dark things she said.

Well to make a good couple she probably has to stop idolising Suna so much, although that is kind of strange when you look at the main characters. Really she passed the first test in relation to kind of getting along with Takeo, to be worth anything he would need to know more about her. Not have it all based on her watching him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

The episode really showed what Yukika feels about Suna. Not only that but she also forms a genuine friendship with Yamato. I also like how Takeo tries to get her together with Suna.

Suna also shows some interest in her as well.

Really balanced episode with well rounded comedy. Lol, Takeo and some of his conversation with Suna at the end was amusing. Fun stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11