• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Yona of the Dawn English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
I have to agree. As much as Monica and Chris are great VO artists, I just don't see them being a good fit as Yona and Hak. To me, spoiler[Chris seems to fit more as Hak's Grandfather, and Monica the Pirate Captain.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Monica.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I'm not watching this series, I'm curious as to why they are dubbing the 2nd season first. It seems inconsistent and I think it's better that they would dub the first 1/2 initially. Because it's been out long enough, I think it would be less pressure to dub something from last season vs. from this season.

I think they want to try to keep the dubs feeling as "fresh" as possible, and this could also just be part of an experiment to see how tolerant people are of switching languages partway.

The downside of doing it this way for me is that I won't be watching it yet, same with Tokyo Ghoul. I'll just wait for them to go back and dub the first half since I don't care to switch over partway.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
That's how I feel. I'll be missing details of the characters and any possible flashback/throwback of anything they might do in the second half and be in complete loss. Probably just watch a few clips here and there and if I like it, I'll just wait for buying the full show.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
That's how I feel. I'll be missing details of the characters and any possible flashback/throwback of anything they might do in the second half and be in complete loss. Probably just watch a few clips here and there and if I like it, I'll just wait for buying the full show.

As a huge fan of the show, I would recommend waiting to check it out from the beginning if at all possible. The buildup is soooo worth it, and makes all that comes later so much better! I personally think it'd be sad to spoil the later events for myself if I didn't know the story already.

I look forward to checking this out from whatever episode they decide to start with, but for the sake of those who watch only dubs (and because I was kinda looking forward to revisiting the beginning of the story in this new form) I do agree it's kind of a bummer that they decided not to start at the start. I hope it's not too long a wait for the early stuff...
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Haterater wrote:

As a huge fan of the show, I would recommend waiting to check it out from the beginning if at all possible. The buildup is soooo worth it, and makes all that comes later so much better! I personally think it'd be sad to spoil the later events for myself if I didn't know the story already.

I look forward to checking this out from whatever episode they decide to start with, but for the sake of those who watch only dubs (and because I was kinda looking forward to revisiting the beginning of the story in this new form) I do agree it's kind of a bummer that they decided not to start at the start. I hope it's not too long a wait for the early stuff...

I am currently imaging the end of the latest episode (22) from the point of view of an individual who did not watch episode 1 and it's just:"huh.... I don't get it....?"
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Were I to describe the dub in one word it would be: Jarring.

I feel like my fear were realised though I'll keep watching it in case I get used to it or the VA's improve. I want to see how Funimation adapted the script too.

The script works for the most part except...calling Hak the "Lightning Beast" instead of "Thunder Beast"...I don't know. I don't anyone in this era would have used the phrase "That's so cool" or "puke" either.

The worst case of this is Chris Sabat's Hak. He's using the same voice he used for Zoro and Giroro and it's not the best fit as not only does he not sound 18, but Hak comes across as very gung ho and less reserved. Matthew Mercer or Travis Willingham might have been a better fit.

Yun (Clifford Chapin) and Gija (Ian Sinclair) sound alright. I think it might just take a bit of getting used. Though I wonder if the VA who did the voice of Nagisa in the Assasination Classroom dub, Lindsay Seidel might have been a better fit for Yun.

Eric Vale as Sinha sort of works, but I think his delivery might be a bit off and he should have sounded more hesitant and reserved.

Monica Rial's Yona hmm....she might get better with time. If they wanted a veteran for this role I can't help but wonder if Wendee Lee, Kari Wahlgren or Laura Bailey would have done better, but sadly they're not an option. Yona's rapidly becoming one of my favourite female characters and getting her just right is important.

It seems almost unfair to drop the English VA's in the middle of the story without time to get to know their characters. I'm wondering if Funimation was unsure about these voices as well and so decided to test the waters in a broadcast dub to gauge fan reaction.

Yona of the Dawn will benefit the most from this only being the broadcast dub though it's debateable how much Funimation will be willing to change for the final dub.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the script. It's a little too contemporary in general, but it seems to work for the most part.

I can hear what Monica Rial is trying to do with Yona. I think she'll have the voice fully formed after another episode or two. She's definitely trying to create that Kari Wahlgren/Laura Bailey-esque voice for Yona, and sometimes she actually has it nailed, but it's not consistent yet. But when that voice is completely there, she doesn't sound like Monica Rial at all and it'll be a great voice.

I don't have any problem with Sabat as Hok. It's actually a shade younger than his Zoro.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
A few further thoughts.

It might just be me, but after listening to Eric Vale's Sinha, I'm wondering if he should have been cast as Hak.

Ian Sinclair seems to play Gija a bit too cartoony. I wish Ian played him a bit more serious and saved the cartoony version for when Gia's character goes off model in the comedic scenes.
Glamrgrl104

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
I watched the two episodes they have dubbed and have to say Yona's VA is growing on me. At first I was like wtf Yona doesn't match her personality. I didn't recognize it until later but it's Sakura from Tsubasa chronicles and I think Hak''s VA scratch that it was Kurogane in Tsubasa lol.
Looking forward to the dvd release but why dubbing the 2nd half first that kind of spoils it for others who haven't seen the series from the beginning. Like new anime fans who don't like watching a show because in SUB.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 14 Dub Thoughts
- More modern words: Gija calling Sinha a "jerk." Yun's still saying "cool" and "seriously?!" as well as "He's seriously freakin' me out." Even Yona says "We're kind of pansies aren't we?" at one point. Hak even says "Nutjob" in the dub instead of "Mask" when Yona asks what word best describes the Blue Dragon.
Script in general: As far I know most of the meaning has been kept however, the poetic nature of the Japanese dialogue has largely been lost and feels generic here. Glad they kept Hak's "Rest in peace" line unchanged though. They also use the word warrior alot. Always referring to the dragon as the "[insert colour] Dragon Warrior". Wish they wouldn't but hey...mouthflaps. Several times character lines are changed to be more condescending when before they were just stating something outright.

Example
Sub

Gija: Is he drowning himself?!
Hak: What are you going to do, White Snake?
Gija: It's my fault! Is it my fault?!

Dub
Gija: Suicide?!
Hak: Bet you feel guilty now, huh? I mean, this is all your fault.
Gija: No, it can't be! Did I really drive him to this?!

Voices
- Hak and Yona: still jarring.
- Sinha: I'm getting used to his voice, but I think he's speaking his dialogue too fast and should show more hesitation.
- Gija: Sometimes I think his delivery is still a bit cartoony when he should be playing it straight. It's a shame Funimation can't get Chris Patton to do the voice. Ian sinclair does handle Gija's comedic lines well though.
- Yun: Nothing to comment on. Still ok, though in the scene by the fire, his tone transition is far from smooth.
Ao (Former Blue Dragon): Brief voice clip that we get felt very melodramatic, but sounds like the right type of voice.
Su-won: Only heard during the preview. Not too bad.

Overall, I get it. Scripts have to be altered in dubs for mouthflaps, but I still feel like this one goes too far.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna wait until the whole series is out in English before I watch it dubbed. Plus...

Quote:
The company plans to produce a final English dub after the Broadcast Dub and before the home video release of each show.

So this'll just be a test dub to see what works and what doesn't. Who knows? Maybe things will be improved when it comes out on DVD? And I seriously want to own this series on DVD and show it to my friends and family!
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I was going to reply to the above post that this thread's like a year old, surely the whole thing is available dubbed by now...

...but no, I guess they only ever did the second half? How weird. I'm sorry :( (and also curious about when the DVDs will ever be out.)
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I was going to reply to the above post that this thread's like a year old, surely the whole thing is available dubbed by now...

...but no, I guess they only ever did the second half? How weird. I'm sorry Sad (and also curious about when the DVDs will ever be out.)

no, they definitely dubbed the first half. however, just like with Tokyo Ghoul, we wont actually see/here it it until the first half is released on DVD/BD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3