• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Yona of the Dawn English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
The dub cast looks good so far. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
And again, for some stupid reason the second half of Yona keeps being called second season. I respect Monica Rial's abilities, but she should not voice these many roles; not to mention that her voice does not fit Yona.

Funimation is starting to worry me with their cast decisions for their broadcast dubs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
While I'm not watching this series, I'm curious as to why they are dubbing the 2nd season first. It seems inconsistent and I think it's better that they would dub the first 1/2 initially. Because it's been out long enough, I think it would be less pressure to dub something from last season vs. from this season.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I really really want someone to just license the manga for this already. I tend to do more manga and this is from the same mangaka who made the very excellent NG Life, so... yeah, get on that, someone! Probably Viz!

I do think it's inevitable though, since the series is doing well in popularity
lys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The second half of the show has more of the cast and more of the "action" of the series, so that might be why they're starting the broadcast there instead of at the beginning: to give viewers a better idea of what the show typically sounds like.

I don't watch enough dubs to have any thoughts about these cast members, but I'll watch this, because Yona is an amazing series! (and because I feel bad about giving CR all my streaming views, since Funi was behind them in broadcasting the original.)

classicalzawa, I don't know that the manga getting picked up is so inevitable actually, in light of ShojoBeat's recent post (about how series that have an anime and are really popular and requested don't necessarily do well when licensed, especially when scanlations are widely distributed for the series). I'm still hoping, though... Feel free to join me in a crusade against the scans :)
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Monica Rial as Yona
Christopher R. Sabat as Hak

I don't know about this. I keep thinking about when Monica voiced Princess Sakura in Tsubasa. That didn't go over too well with me.

Also I know Hak has a deep voice but wouldn't Chris's be too deep?!

Colleen Clinkenbeard as ADR Director is something I'm really excited about so maybe they can pull this off.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial is enough reason to give it a chance. Weather it's good or not is another story entirely.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial is not really some one I would have seen as Yona so I think I might be sitting out this dub but still when this hits DVD i'll swoop it up quickly.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the situation that they had for Free: Eternal Summer.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the cast and all, but why are they calling it the 2nd 'season' even though it's second 'half'... and why start there in the first place?

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
" Funimation's stream is one week behind. " Actually it's now two weeks behind, they skipped a week so they are only on 20, while Crunchyroll is on 22.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Finally a show that is worthy of a dub! (Beside death parade)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Chris Sabat as Hak does not seem right to me.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
I don't know about this. I keep thinking about when Monica voiced Princess Sakura in Tsubasa. That didn't go over too well with me.

Also I know Hak has a deep voice but wouldn't Chris's be too deep?!

Colleen Clinkenbeard as ADR Director is something I'm really excited about so maybe they can pull this off.

Monica Rial is a surprising choice for Yona but Clinkenbeard would not have cast her if she had not heard something in Rial's audition. Also, considering the way Yona changes and evolves over the course of the show, Rial is one of the best at showcasing a gradual vocal transformation to accompany that and that may have been why she was cast. She'll probably be reprising Sakura from Tsubasa in the early episodes (which we won't get to see right away) but by the end I'd suspect Rial will be adapting a more mature, deep tone.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh I looked up the Christopher R. Sabat and he did Vegeta's dub (I figured this is common knowledge for some people). I liked his Vegeta back in the day so it will be interesting what he does for Hak. I will have to check out one of the dubs to see wassup.

But question for those who watch dubs: Do you watch subs and then re watch the dub or do you sit and wait for the dub release? I know everyone is different, but still wandering what is the norm.

Last edited by princess passa passa on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3