• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SGT Frog Invades ADVFilms.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
biliano wrote:
On the contrary, I'm looking forward to this series. I don't download anime so I haven't seen Sgt. Frog yet. I don't know how many Gundam references are contained in this series, and frankly I don't care (being that I'm not a Gundam fan to begin with). The Gundam references are irrelevant in my view.

Here's the thing. About 90% of all the referencial humor in Keroro Gunsou consists of Gundam and other Bandai anime references (or at least it has in the dozen or so episodes I've seen). Hell, the red frog, Giroro, is the epitome of every hard-boiled Zeon ace that ever existed (Ramba Ral, Norris Packard, Shin Matsunaga, et al). The show really wouldn't be half as funny as it is if you didn't know at least the basics of Gundam; to have a diminutive, megalomaniacal frog shout "even my own father didn't hit me!" just is not funny at all unless you know it's lifted from a certain scene in the original Gundam series with a certain slap-happy captain. And those sort of references occur several times in an episode. Yes, Keroro does cook up some original comedic material, but easily about 25-50% of the humor contained within requires a good working knowledge of Bandai mech anime, especially Gundam.

And with ADV getting three Gundam references wrong to every one they got right in past liner notes and Vid Notes, yes, I'm dreading this release. Not merely as a Gundam otaku, but as a Keroro fan who knows the comedy just doesn't work if the company handling it doesn't know jack about what they're translating. This isn't Gundam fanboy rantings; given the very core nature of the show's comedy, ADV's obvious cluelessness about Gundam WILL sorely hurt the quality of this release.

I dont know my friends and I love keroro and we dont watch gundam and still think the show is one of the funnyst things we have seen in a long time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
I am a very casual Gundam fan (Any Gundam series I have in my collection is due to VA & nothing to do with caring about mechs) but I find Sgt Frog hilarious. It doesn't just spoof Gundam. Any fan of the shonen genre can probably pick up on several jokes such as the 5 team members. I love Giroro & he's a typical hard-boiled soldier such as one can see in many American combat movies. Kururu is wicked & I love him also. Amoral scientist-no, only Gundam fans can figure that one out.

Sgt Frog is a fairly obvious choice. It's what the title translates to. Sgt Kerero sounds half-baked. People watching in Japan probably view the name in that light (Sgt Frog) rather than Sgt Kerero just as any show we watch-like Major Major Major.

ADV will give us a Japanese track. Hopefully it'll be set up right so we can view the Japanese subtitles along with the English track(unlike a Saiyuki disk or 2 that I have) so one can see the difs. Keep your fansubs if you like, although I find it interesting someone on another board was complaining they found 5 different Death Note ep 1 versions out there all with what the poster felt were substantial difs in the translation. Maybe ADV will mess up the refs if they do any liner notes, but if you already know, then you don't need the liner note.

One down-countless more worthy unlicensed titles to go. THere wasn't much sympathy to fans of Tactics when ADV dropped that one like a dirty diaper & thank heaven Manga picked it up. And thank heaven Tokyopop is picking up the manga. I'm already resigned to never seeing any more volumes of the other manga title ADV picked up (they obviously over-extended themselves) & am hoping someone else will move in to pick up the pieces on the other worthy titles (like Your & My Secret). But then Dark Horse has left us hanging on 3X3 Eyes. And there's all those CPM titles we'll probably never see....
detective392

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
is the SGT frog anime finished in japan i read that that last eps aird in october and a new one hasent been on since or is it taking a break?
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
ADV will give us a Japanese track. Hopefully it'll be set up right so we can view the Japanese subtitles along with the English track(unlike a Saiyuki disk or 2 that I have) so one can see the difs. Keep your fansubs if you like, although I find it interesting someone on another board was complaining they found 5 different Death Note ep 1 versions out there all with what the poster felt were substantial difs in the translation. Maybe ADV will mess up the refs if they do any liner notes, but if you already know, then you don't need the liner note.

Exactly, and that's why I'm not "dreading" this release. I don't expect ADV to get all of the translations and linear notes exactly right; they're only human, after all, and they will make mistakes. Also, ADV does have more experience in the handling and marketing of parody anime than any of the other Region 1 licensors in the industry. I don't believe that ADV is "obviously clueless" about Gundam; just because they got a few Gundam references wrong in Excel Saga apparently (I didn't finish watching the anime) doesn't necessarily mean that they're completely clueless. If they were, they wouldn't bother to spend the money on the licensing fees this franchise accrued (and I would bet given the overwhelming popularity of this franchise, it must've been a very expensive license). Also, IIRC Vid-Notes and linear notes are extras, and thus aren't neceessarily required in order to view a series. I firmly believe that they'll spend the necessary resources to hire translators that have experience with the Gundam franchise to create a faithful translation for the public to enjoy. Whether they put them in the form of Vid-Notes or linear notes remains to be seen. I don't believe that ADV will "butcher" this release.

Another thing that bothered me about Paul's post (and I do thank him for the references that he posted) is that from what I interpreted from his post, it seems to me that there has to be a prerequisite in order to watch Sgt. Frog, and that prereqisute is a comprehensive knowledge of the Gundam franchise (which could partly explain Sgt. Frog's popularity). While that's fine, I don't believe that knowledge of Gundam is necessary to enjoy this show. Some people did say that they enjoyed Sgt. Frog despite not knowing anything about Gundam. Placing a prerequisite on this show will greatly hamper the marketability of this series, and Sgt. Frog is a series that I believe can potentially be successful in the Region 1 market.

I have enough faith in ADV that they will do a good job in the handling of this franchise, and as I mentioned earlier I will spend my money on Vol. #1 when it comes out next year. I've been a supporter of ADV for nearly 4 years, and while supporting ADV is not the most popular thing to do in the Anime News Network forum, no one at ANN (including the mods) will stop me from purchasing this series. If you still feel dreaded by ADV's eventual release, the best thing to do IMHO is simply don't buy it.

Incidentally, yesterday I started this thread over at the Anime on DVD forum about this topic. Some of the comments there were pretty interesting, and I invite you to please read and/or comment on the topic if you so choose. Personally, I think the post that Anime on DVD moderator Kellory wrote about ADV's linear notes holds a lot of truth:

AoD Moderator Kellory wrote:
The thing is that linear notes and Vid Notes are extras. As such aren't really subject to the same QC as say the sub or dub script. They rely on people with knowledge of Japan and pop culture to find those references. And they'll miss some. And miss will mean sometimes not see them, and sometimes get them wrong. As ubiquitous as Gundam is, not everyone who is very familier with Japanese pop culture will be knowledgeable about Gundam. So yes, they will get some things wrong.

Now if Sgt. Frog has mostly Gundum references, then hopefully they'll get someone who knows a lot about Gundam. But ultimately these are extras. If seeing them incorrect is that annoying, one can always turn Vid Notes off and see how many you'll get without them.

Its not butchering the show. Its merely getting the cultural referances wrong or missing some. That happens. Hopefully it will be better in Sgt Frog, but its understandable in a show like Excell Saga where a broad knowledge of Japan would be better than someone who was super knowledgeable in just 1 genre. Hell, a few years ago some friends and I had a couple of Japanese exchange students over at my place because they heard I had some Anime. They immediately grabbed Excell Saga from the shelf since they had seen it. And were, frankly, amazed at how many things they had missed from it originally when they saw it in Japan.

And its not like ADV gets notes from the license holder on these things. They typically get the show, the language and Background music tracks, and sometimes a script. The problem even with the script is that often is not a working copy, but an original copy which often as not is a fairly useless thing since the dialog typically gets a number of changes. So often they have to start from scratch. Same deal with catching parodies. Scratch.

Personally I'm going to cut ADV some slack because right now I dont know how they're going to handle it. And even if they get some of it wrong, I'm still watching it for the show. I know enough about Gundam that it probably wont matter to me. I'll just keep the Vid Notes off, or else keep em on and laugh even more when they get it wrong. Hell, its a parody, nothing wrong with extra laughter.
creepy_old_goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings.. Confused

But I'm definitely going to buy it.

I've secretly been waiting for this series to get licensed for what seems like forever... >>;

(blah blah blah)

Last I checked (for those who don't know), the manga is still running in Japan and a 2nd movie is on the way. Mr. Green
I wonder if and when ADV will release the 1st movie. hmmm...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
I thought it was strange releasing a Sgt Frog movie if the series were already over (unless they were wrapping things up, which none of the refs regarding the movie said & they usually do in that instance) so I checked & was pleasantly surprised to see new eps listed from when I'd checked in the spring.
It is so funny & a lot is skewring very familiar things-Tama jealous of Moa because of his devotion to Kerero, the rivalry between Giroro & Kururu, the domineering chick, the under-used 5th member, the wise bishie, the faithful servant--they hit all the cliches.
And some stuff needs to be changed-like the birthday ep-very few outside of Japan will know who the pop idol named is. It's like saying a character likes Metallica or Frank Sinatra-it helps define the character. There are certain cultural things a Japanese person watching the show just clicks on automatically as we do-Bill Clinton, Dan Quail, Gerald Ford--Lewis Black jokes one can insert Michael Jackson in as any punchline & get a laugh.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I was really hoping Bandai would get it.

I wonder why they didn't. Having Bandai licensed it would save a lot of trouble, for Keroro Gunso is produced by Sunrise and full of Gundam in-jokes.

But, I want those translation notes. So I'm happy that ADV has it. It's AD-Vid notes time again. Laughing

Afro Gunso. Afro Gunso. Afro. Yow!

Very Happy

Honestly, I'm not worried. I love how ADV actually handles the comedy titles. PaniPoni was rapid-fire and loaded with jokes (not to mention onscreen translations). Kero's definitely begging for Vidnotes. I've yet to actually be disappointed by their handling of any comedy title. They're usually given better treatement than most.

HACK THE FROG!
HACK THE FROG!

*gets shoved into a police cruiser*
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Mihara wrote:
"SGT Frog"? Why are they using that translation?

Because they can. And probably because the manga did.

Another thing: I thought this was licensed a long time ago.

"Frog" definitely will garner more familiarity than "Kero", and will deifinitely grab a casual passerby's attention much easier as well.
"A Frog... that's a sargeant? *takes off shelf*

I for one don't mind.
I call it both, but use each only with the respective audience I'm discussing it with.

It does feel a lot like it was licensed a long time ago, doesn't it?
I'd chalk it up to the fact it's so easily accessible to American audiences that it almost seems like it's been around already...
No matter. What does count is that we finally get it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
I hope ADV has more confidence in it than FUNi has in Shin Chan.
Maceart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
There's always the option of getting official R3 DVD's (Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore) which is what I'm going to get. They're up to episode 87 currently.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
If ADV has "gaming rights",I assume that means games will be released which means that it will air on TV,right?
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Sgt Frog is a fairly obvious choice. It's what the title translates to. Sgt Kerero sounds half-baked. People watching in Japan probably view the name in that light (Sgt Frog) rather than Sgt Kerero just as any show we watch-like Major Major Major.

Considering "keroro" does not translate to "frog," that really can't be the case. Razz I didn't like TP's use of that title and I don't like ADV's use of it, but it does provide continuity I suppose.

Nabeshin wrote:
"Frog" definitely will garner more familiarity than "Kero", and will deifinitely grab a casual passerby's attention much easier as well.
"A Frog... that's a sargeant? *takes off shelf*

Or it will make them say, "What is this? Some stupid Japanese take on the muppets in anime form?" Then they walk on by. Wink Seriously, I doubt that TP has sold many (if any) manga based soley on the title being Sgt. Frog.

Whether I buy it or not depends on how much money FUNimation leaves me with combined with one other element.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Or it will make them say, "What is this? Some stupid Japanese take on the muppets in anime form?" Then they walk on by. Wink Seriously, I doubt that TP has sold many (if any) manga based soley on the title being Sgt. Frog.

I was one of the people caught by the title, and now it's one of my favorite series. I don't see the problem with the "Sgt. Frog" translation, speaking as someone who decided to give it a look based on the "Sgt. Frog" title.

I'm also not really sure I understand the whole "I'm going to have to import this series" responses. Are ADV going to give this series a hack job or something? I wasn't aware the possibility of a few botched Gundam references fell under "hack job," even though I wouldn't understand the references any less if they got them wrong.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I wasn't aware the possibility of a few botched Gundam references fell under "hack job,"

They do when that's where a very large percentage of a show's comedy comes from. The whole point of Keroro Gunsou was to be a nudge-nudge-wink-wink kinda series from Bandai to their fans, poking fun at themselves while at the same time concocting a whole new marketing scheme in the way of mass amounts of KeroKero merchandise. Given that Gundam is basically Bandai's biggest cash cow, it makes up most of Keroro Gunsou's referencial humor, and so for anyone translating the show to have at least some kind of clue about Gundam crap is a must for the comedy to work as well as it theoretically should.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
aresgoddess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Yes, Keroro does cook up some original comedic material, but easily about 25-50% of the humor contained within requires a good working knowledge of Bandai mech anime, especially Gundam.

And with ADV getting three Gundam references wrong to every one they got right in past liner notes and Vid Notes, yes, I'm dreading this release. Not merely as a Gundam otaku, but as a Keroro fan who knows the comedy just doesn't work if the company handling it doesn't know jack about what they're translating. This isn't Gundam fanboy rantings; given the very core nature of the show's comedy, ADV's obvious cluelessness about Gundam WILL sorely hurt the quality of this release.

I totally don't agree with this. Honestly...i HATE Gundam, i abhor it, i want to scream everytime i hear a Gundam fan start in on why it's so great. But I love Keroro Gunso. It's the funniest thing i've ever come across. So I don't think any knowledge (or a liking) of Gundam is necessary to watch this show.

Nagisa wrote:
The whole point of Keroro Gunsou was to be a nudge-nudge-wink-wink kinda series from Bandai to their fans, poking fun at themselves while at the same time concocting a whole new marketing scheme in the way of mass amounts of KeroKero merchandise.

Ya know...it's not just Gundam references in there....there's other shows that are referenced...like Urusei Yatsura, Midori no Hibi, Slam Dunk, to name a few. Plus, there's a lot of cultural references. Certainly, there are a lot of Gundam references, but it's not the central pull of the references.

CCSYueh wrote:

Naming it Sgt Frog would be a strange choice. He's the the title character. His name is Keroro, not Frog, meaning the title shouldn't be renaming him. I mean, how would you like it if you went to another country, and they changed your name to what it translates to in their language? For the record, I believe in keeping the Japanese names, instead of changing them to English names, or changing the R to L. (Ex. It's Kirara, not Kilala, in Inuyasha.)

The only things I'm worried about, besides the name, is the voices. I usually watch my dvds with the japanese dialogue on, but that's because the english voices don't match the characters, and it sucks to listen to that. Like for Osaka, in Azumanga Daioh, that voice wasn't right. The actress (don't know who it was) gave her a somewhat intelligent sounding voice. In the Japanese dialogue, Osaka is out of it most of the time, and even in her brilliant moments, she sounds like a complete airhead. Stuff like that, i totally don't agree with, but there's not much i can do, save become a voice actress. Ah, but that is only a dream. I don't have the time it takes to break into the biz. oh....so sad me is. Anime hyper [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6