• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow... the anime designs looks so much nicer.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. For a moment there I was like, "is this a thing like Escaflowne where the manga 'adaptation' was a piece of crap that had nothing to do with the anime?", but...nope, unless the encyclopedia's wrong, this is the original. Holy cripes.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
the "bondage" ouftits are for easy access.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes the anime improves upon the manga, other times it was better off just a manga. Maria falls into the former.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what you all are talking about; the art in this book is fantastic, probably worth buying it for the art alone. If anything, i have a bit less respect for the anime because of it's lack of detail in many of the characters.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:
I don't know what you all are talking about; the art in this book is fantastic, probably worth buying it for the art alone.

Agreed! The manga art is superior.

I prefer the manga's writing also (not so much the story-telling cause there isn't much of it really). So I was even more underwhelmed by the anime.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the succubus is named after the virgin goddess Artemis is the joke. Same with Priapus's namesake.

Her name is "Maria" so the connection between her and the Virgin Mother will be more apparent to Japanese readers, as Mary is called Maria in Japanese. It is weird that they didn't switch it to Mary or Marie in the English version though...I guess they wanted to keep it the same as the anime.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the "bondage" ouftits are for easy access.

Well, they are a succubus and incubus. Well... most of an incubus...

Also, I said nothing about the art, as I haven't read the manga. I prefer the cuter designs of the anime though. I could have done without Bernard though.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I just picked this up from the library yesterday, and read half of it. Maybe it's because I've seen the anime through to the current episode which filled in blanks in the story and knowledge of what's to come, but I'm liking the manga more than the anime so far. I really liked the part in which spoiler[Maria saves "heretics" from being burned at the stake], which wasn't in the anime at all, and added depth to the story. I also really like Ishikawa's art. I agree that the anime simplified all the character designs. Joseph looks better in the manga, imho, and the manga makes it more apparent that Maria modeled her familiars after herself. Ishikawa's quirky, fantastical take on history matches his quirky, fantastical take on microbiology (from the *two* volumes of Moyashimon I've read).
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I just picked this up from the library yesterday, and read half of it. Maybe it's because I've seen the anime through to the current episode which filled in blanks in the story and knowledge of what's to come, but I'm liking the manga more than the anime so far. I really liked the part in which spoiler[Maria saves "heretics" from being burned at the stake], which wasn't in the anime at all, and added depth to the story. I also really like Ishikawa's art. I agree that the anime simplified all the character designs. Joseph looks better in the manga, imho, and the manga makes it more apparent that Maria modeled her familiars after herself. Ishikawa's quirky, fantastical take on history matches his quirky, fantastical take on microbiology (from the *two* volumes of Moyashimon I've read).
didn't know about that I only binge watched it literally a day ago and was enthralled with what they were doing so to read that she did the extra stuff in the manga like that puts into perspective why she does what she does. I'm growing to like this show even more than I already did.
Zephire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I completely agree with you.

I also prefer Priapus' design in the manga over the anime for a couple reasons. First, he's clearly based on a male version of Maria like how Artemis is based on Maria but 10 years older, so he's taller and has some muscle (though he is still lean) and looks 18+. Whereas in the anime it's much more ambiguous who he's based on and he's much more child-like in his appearance.

Second, his outfit is actually a male version of Artemis'. His outfit in the show is actually really modest (maybe because he looks younger?). In the manga he just has a strap going down his chest, a strap going across his nipples, a strap across his belly, and the same straps around his hips and crotch. None of that shirt and shorts nonsense he has in the anime.

I really like the anime, but so far at least I prefer the first volume of the manga compared to the same timeframe the anime covered.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well,if this is how a Japanese manga artist would see the Hundred Years War,how would he or she see the American Revolution or the American Civil War? That would be a fascinating thing to see,wouldn't you agree?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Sometimes the anime improves upon the manga, other times it was better off just a manga. Maria falls into the former.

I have to strongly disagree. While the first volume might be a bit messy, the other two volumes make a wonderful story that I believe should have been adapted faithfully. It is so strange why they would throw in so many subplots and original characters.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
So are Father Bernard, and Galfa the mercenary are all anime-original characters?
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

I have to strongly disagree. While the first volume might be a bit messy, the other two volumes make a wonderful story that I believe should have been adapted faithfully. It is so strange why they would throw in so many subplots and original characters.

And I'd mostly disagree with that last part. I don't think every single anime adaptation must absolutely be mindlessly faithful or else. I believe having two different versions of the same story with certain alterations can actually enhance, rather than detract from, the experience. I would argue that definitely applies here. They're both quite good.

In my opinion, the anime original characters actually improve on the depiction of the medieval setting and its worldview. The events feel more grounded, whereas the manga sometimes isolates regular humans too much from the main narrative, despite the fact Maria's interference is still something that affects them. I also think the general flow from episode to episode is smoother than from chapter to chapter, at least at the beginning.

The original manga does have more detailed clothing, for instance, but I feel it doesn't really fit itself quite as solidly into the era when taken as a whole. There are various scenes reflecting historically accurate traditions in the anime that are missing from the book. The art has its positives and negatives in each version too. You can tell the succubus and incubus are based on Maria herself when reading the manga, but it's also a little harder to visually identify the faces of certain characters on the printed page (even the ones that aren't supposed to be related to her).

That said, I did enjoy an early manga chapter that was excluded from the anime. But I'm also glad they skipped another part later on, so there's a bit of a give and take here. When it comes to the remaining volumes, which I won't spoil here, certain scenes work better in the manga and others are better in the anime. That's why I am going to be buying both versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2