• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vita Signs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Western developers have pretty much ceded mobile gaming to smartphones and tablets. Instead of handhelds, in addition to home consoles,

Western publishers as far as I can tell never had a huge stake in the handheld market so them having less of a presence in the handheld market isn't as usual or divisive as what the Japanese having been doing with their games (unless you're a an American or European gamer).

enurtsol wrote:

Anyways, to get an idea of what's in store for this year, a nice place to start like:

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games-2015/

(It's even divided into sections for easier browsing: open world action, action, FPS, RPG, action RPG, 2D shooters & twin-stick games, fighting games, strategy, adventure, exploration and survival, MMO, platform, puzzle, sport, sim, racing.)

Is it necessary to note that a good number of those games are multi-platform or have been available on other platforms for months like Grand Theft Auto 5 or Lightning Returns Evil or Very Mad
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
While it's true that western developers have never really been mainstays of handheld development, a handheld market without Rockstar, EA, et al making games is significantly worse off than one where they are.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
A handheld market without Rockstar, EA, et al making games is significantly worse off than one where they are.

I think that depends who you ask. I never play any of their games on consoles, and I think the handheld market is better overall because it's easier to find games I like without having to browse through a larger, more diluted catalog.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I think that depends who you ask.

Apparently, majority thinks just like Primus. Vita's lack of diversity turned off a lot of potential buyers. Not everyone is happy with occasional hunting game, indie platformers and seas of kusoge.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Apparently, majority thinks just like Primus. Vita's lack of diversity turned off a lot of potential buyers. Not everyone is happy with occasional hunting game, indie platformers and seas of kusoge.

What do you mean? The Vita's regularly sells pretty well looking at the rankings each week in Japan.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
What do you mean? The Vita's regularly sells pretty well looking at the rankings each week in Japan.

Yes, in Japan. Vita's sales everywhere else are minuscule, they only sold around 10 million units to date. Give it a year and Vita will be the least successful console of this gen, even Wii U has stronger legs than Vita.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
While it's true that western developers have never really been mainstays of handheld development, a handheld market without Rockstar, EA, et al making games is significantly worse off than one where they are.

Well not if you're Nintendo, Sony on the otherhand....

MajorZero wrote:

Yes, in Japan. Vita's sales everywhere else are minuscule, they only sold around 10 million units to date. Give it a year and Vita will be the least successful console of this gen, even Wii U has stronger legs than Vita.

Well for starters the Vita is a handheld not a console also if those numbers for the Vita are true that means the system has sold more units to date than the WiiU has.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
I do know there are people who wouldn't mind having Fighter's History Dynamite on a modern platform.

Well, FHD was released on the Wii Virtual Console, which is still accessible via the Wii U.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="gloverrandal"]
MajorZero wrote:

It really dosen't. It sells ok at best with it's software basically floating by. At best it has a pulse in Japan, but it's no real success.

Also what stupid logic. Somehow the handheld market is better because it has less games. Even if you don't care for certain games that's a remark that makes no sense. Like it would be hard for you to find games you like even if there were more games on the market. It simply makes no sense. Why don't you just say what you really mean. I.E you don't like western games on principle instead of throwing out some stupid rationale.

"Oh I think it's better that the candy shop dosen't have lots of candy. That way it's easier for me to find the Skittles that I already was going to chose and knew where they were".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad Vita gets a steady new diet of Japanese titles. Yeah, Western devs just don't take to handheld gaming at all and it's up to indies to fill that void. And I think they do a great job. Vita is FANTASTIC for indie games.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Also what stupid logic. Somehow the handheld market is better because it has less games

Quality over quantity, as they say. Shovelware doesn't really help any system, especially in Japan.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Also what stupid logic. Somehow the handheld market is better because it has less games

Quality over quantity, as they say. Shovelware doesn't really help any system, especially in Japan.
No one says that in regards to video games. No one has ever said "I'm happy this system has less games available for it".

You're just trying to cover your ass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That's good because that doesn't shut out the gamers who don't have the latest greatest hardware rig, like they used to. But importantly the games scale up, so ya can take advantage when your setup improves (we've already tried a few games up to 4K setup).

If that's their priority than that's their priority. However, as a consumer I do not care nor have any interest in what monetary success they have in those ventures. I'm not getting a share of their profits, after all. But what you mentioned is why I don't really play games on my PC anymore like I did back in the day when there was software to take advantage of being a PC gamer. I browsed though the site you linked and the overwhelming majority of games on it were indie games. Those that weren't were ports of older games I already played and beat like Lightning Returns. I'm really disappointed because I remember the times where I played tons of dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master 2. I get that fix now on handhelds with games like Etrian Odyssey and Kadokawa's works like Demon Gaze.

It's very similar to how I feel about mobile/phone games. Yes, I'm aware western developers would rather make an iOS game and view the 3DS and Vita as worthless because they make more money with Freemium Apps. However, as a consumer, that's not an adequate answer to me, so I value all the wonderful games on the 3DS and Vita. Those companies can make as much money as they want and good on them for doing so, but as a consumer my demands lie outside the company making money.

-Stuart Smith
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
If the King of Pirates is no more, what will be Comcept's next video game project after Mighty No. 9? Question
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Child of Light looked like a Grandia copy so I never really bothered with it, plus the art style was really ugly looking.

The developer specifically stated that the game was meant to evoke Grandia and other classic JRPGs in its battle system. And its art style is pretty good, if you keep in mind the game is told in the style of a fairy tale. If those are the reasons you refuse to try the game, then you're missing out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4