• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga for Monster Girl Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wondering how A Centaur's Life witch the story has been going down of lately bets Monster Musume whos story is just getting better

I prefer the meandering stories in A Centaur's Life. The various narratives are intriguing and have allot of symbolism and commentary, even the more recent ones and, as a series, it always keep me guessing. Monster Musume is just a harem manga, a self-aware and funny one, but aside from having monster girls it really doesn't do anything to break the mold.

Let me be clear, I don't think it needs to! I don't even want it to! It's a great little fun series with a good sense of humour, amusing characters and nice designs.

It's probably down to my personal preference as a reader (and this sounds so pompous) but I'd rather read the more complicated story. MM is simple and there in is it's greatest asset, it's a simple thing done well. But I've seen that before. I'd rather take the risk with the more risky text.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:

...But if we're talking about Monster GUYS, then I really can't pick anything other than Orenchi no Furo Jijou. I know it doesn't technically meet the Monster Girls criteria but shut up.

that series was adorable and I wish there were more like it! I love me some cute monster boys.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I predict the hot Monster-Boy subgenre will start flourishing a few years after this...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Interesting list. Nothing really interests me from it. Don't really have much experience when it comes to monster girls in manga/anime. Only one that comes to mind, and that I'm a fan of (as I own the anime), is My Bride Is A Mermaid.

As for the list, since it is "character" and not "girl" (if it were girl, I'd say Senjougahara), Deishū Kaiki became my favourite character due to the Koimonogatari arc.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I understand vampire girls, but the rest of these don't seem all that appealing to be honest...
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm glad monster girls seems to be the next trend. Much preferred compared to the previous little sister one; besides the ick factor, I think there's more potential for interesting character design.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Wouldn't My Bride is a Mermaid (Seto no Hanayome) technically count as well?

I think it would.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
No Rosario+Vampire? Really?

even i'm wondering about that. sure the anime version leaves something to be desired but the manga is definitely good. especially during the fairy tail arc at second season.

Quote:
Commentary on its quality aside, Twilight was immensely popular and shone a light on a new sub-section of young adult novels.

not quite. for non anime fans,yes. but their are some if not most of anime fans in the otaku community that think that the entire twilight series is an complete abomination. Luckily since vampire knight is a whole lot better, its now a mood point

It was the same for the hunger games since its technically an edited & inferior version of Battle Royale.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
It was the same for the hunger games since its technically an edited & inferior version of Battle Royale.

Yer, Battle Royale 2 is such a masterpiece no film in this world can be compared to its greatness.

Joking aside, thematically Hunger Games expanded way beyond Battle Royale in its sequels, there's little point to compare them by now.

But yeah, absence of R+V is strange. Sure, Gonzo didn't do it justice with an adaptation dumbing it down to yet another ecchi about all sorts of supernatural tits, but manga was pretty enjoyable through and through till the end.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The List wrote:
The main character Anko is an Atlantic Footballfish, a rather hideous type of deep-sea angler.

that Wikipedia article wrote:
The Atlantic footballfish (Himantolophus groenlandicus), also known as the man-gobbler [...]

I know where this is going...

The List wrote:
It makes for a cute slice-of-life series if readers want less fanservice than what's currently on the market.

...or perhaps I don't. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
As for the survey, I go with my old standby argument.
Why don't more people vote for the Main Character in a poll like this?

He's not cute and cuddly, he's a bit skeevy and foolish and has other faults but it's those faults that make the show.

So I go with Koyomi and his myriad of faces (current avatar included) all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Vampire anime is its own subgenre. You wouldn't put Twilight in a list of monster movies.

Well, because vampires are technically a type of monster, they could go on this list. The same thing goes for werewolves, orcs, fairies, goblins, trolls, dragons, etc.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I understand where they're going with this. Some monsters are in a different category: Vampires (Rosario), dragons (Leviathan), demons & devils (HS DxD), zombies, youkai...

The only thing the List includes that might belong in the "big" category is mermaids.

I suppose Rosario has a few "little" monsters, but it's still really about vampires. (And the #2 and #3 are a demon and a youkai.)

Nobody thinks "harpies" and "centaurs" when you think "classic monster stories."
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Vampire anime is its own subgenre. You wouldn't put Twilight in a list of monster movies.

Well, because vampires are technically a type of monster, they could go on this list. The same thing goes for werewolves, orcs, fairies, goblins, trolls, dragons, etc.

The reason why IMO R+V (a manga I like and the reason I despise Gonzo) is not in the list is because the new "monster girls" genre refers to girls that LOOK monstrous (so demihumans like elves and dwarves are out, orcs and goblinoids are ok) and cannot transform into a 100% human form. So a vampire to be considered for this list would probably be the undead kind, like the ones in Shiki with black eyes and maybe pointed ears to go with the canines. Same with demons, they would need to have permanent wings and/or hoofed feet, similar to dragons. So Diane (a stone giant) from The Seven Deadly Sins would not qualify here.

_Cyphon_ wrote:
I understand vampire girls, but the rest of these don't seem all that appealing to be honest...

No one is obligated to like it, that is that beauty of freedom of choice, but I would like to be spared of the haters (who will appear as soon as this genre becomes popular enough).

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

The introduction to the list said:
" If you're tired of the horror staples like vampires, ghosts, and werewolves, or the fantasy cliches like elves, there's a whole new world of supernatural monster girls to check out."

I think that Rosario + Vampire is not on the list because the main character is a vampire and one of the other major characters is a witch, also rather common.
Kurumu by herself might have been eligible because a succubus is not all that common. Misore would have made it. I do not even know the name for the kind of ice monster that she is.
But the main character being a vampire really rules out this series.
Or so I think.

I am quite happy with the list as it is.
I agree with the titles that I am familiar with, and I am interested in those that I did not know about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3