• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Fighters Twitter Account: OVA Projects to Launch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Good news. Always been a fan of GBF so I'm even hoping for another season in the future. OVAs should be just as fun though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
No more of this toy commercial and hurry up with origin.
Yen50414

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
If you can't appreciate this toy commercial you don't deserve the nostalgia toy commercial that is Origin.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
leonard.lim.944023 wrote:
I for one enjoyed that toy commercial faults and all and basked in the nostalgia of seeing Domon kashu again in consecutive seasons to me it was worth my time and I don't regret a thing. Now for origin I'll see whether it stacks up because I never read the novels so we'll see where this goes. (I know this might be a troll but whatever)
Strike105

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote

How many times does it need to be said? Gundam, and indeed almost ALL mecha series were, are, and will always be toy commercials, not at all unlike Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon, and Beyblade are the same to newer generations. Ratings aren't the only thing that determines whether a series lives or dies. When it comes to series like the shows mentioned above, the most important thing is merchandise sales. The show would promote the merchandise, and the merchandise sales would help fund the show. Good story and characters are just a bonus. That's why first Gundam and Gundam X got cancelled before they ran the number of episodes they were intended to have. While neither show was "bad" in any way from a story or character standpoint, there weren't as many toy sales as the sponsors intended, and they couldn't fund a show that wouldn't earn them much profit.

The only thing Build Fighters did that was different was that instead if giving us a drama show with unrealistic giant rainbow colored robots zipping around space that we could get toys of, it gave us a lighthearted action-comedy featuring the same small toys that we buy when we like a series zipping around a small simulated battlefield in a game. This was done to draw in a younger crowd, and increase toy sales. Guess what? It was a huge hit! The first season of GBF was welcomed by many fans the world over as a breath of fresh air, and older models started selling a lot more after the series aired, especially the HGUC Gyan after the first episode. It was such a surprising success that it warranted a sequel, which was the less than stellar, but still entertaining TRY, which provided even more toys for people to buy.

tl;dr: Gundam has always been a toy commercial, and that's never going to change. If you can't handle that, leave the fandom. It won't miss you.
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Strike105 wrote:

How many times does it need to be said? Gundam, and indeed almost ALL mecha series were, are, and will always be toy commercials, not at all unlike Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon, and Beyblade are the same to newer generations. Ratings aren't the only thing that determines whether a series lives or dies. When it comes to series like the shows mentioned above, the most important thing is merchandise sales. The show would promote the merchandise, and the merchandise sales would help fund the show. Good story and characters are just a bonus. That's why first Gundam and Gundam X got cancelled before they ran the number of episodes they were intended to have. While neither show was "bad" in any way from a story or character standpoint, there weren't as many toy sales as the sponsors intended, and they couldn't fund a show that wouldn't earn them much profit.

The only thing Build Fighters did that was different was that instead if giving us a drama show with unrealistic giant rainbow colored robots zipping around space that we could get toys of, it gave us a lighthearted action-comedy featuring the same small toys that we buy when we like a series zipping around a small simulated battlefield in a game. This was done to draw in a younger crowd, and increase toy sales. Guess what? It was a huge hit! The first season of GBF was welcomed by many fans the world over as a breath of fresh air, and older models started selling a lot more after the series aired, especially the HGUC Gyan after the first episode. It was such a surprising success that it warranted a sequel, which was the less than stellar, but still entertaining TRY, which provided even more toys for people to buy.

tl;dr: Gundam has always been a toy commercial, and that's never going to change. If you can't handle that, leave the fandom. It won't miss you.
Don't compare a serious war drama to something that literally sells toys.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Strike105 wrote:

You didn't read anything did you?
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Gundam was and always be made to sell toys. The only thing different with BF and its sequel is the premise. Doesn't change the fact that they were all made to sell toys. The same can be said about the bulk of mecha anime really.

With that out the way, I'm always hyped for more BF.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope the fight in OVA will be interesting, this season's fighting was top notch over the top. It's hard come around out do them.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Man I enjoyed the heck out of this show. Can't wait to see more!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Don't let the froth on your mouth have the better of you.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Even though I enjoyed GBF-TRY, I didn't enjoy it as much as GBF. Too many problems with Try drag down the experience, imo. Hopefully the OVA(s) don't have the same problems.

But does this mean no Season 3? I want Aila (best girl) back, nanodesupoi~!
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Wait did anyone watch the episode and see Domon Kashu from G Gundam. Is G Gundam suppose to be canon in this world? I only watched the first half of the first season of Build Fighters but nothing seemed to set up that this is the same universe as G Gundam.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
But does this mean no Season 3? I want Aila (best girl) back, nanodesupoi~!

I want to see her again too. At least we got two OVAs now.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what the first ova will be about, are they going to explain how they found the particles again and managed to rebuild the system or just do a silly side story.

I just hope the Try ova is the world tournament
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2