• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re-Kan! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Beach time!
Guess there's no way to get away from spirits LOL
Ero-neko got exactly what he deserved!
That samurai is Amami's constant protector.. kinda sweet of him.
Inou still has a lot to accept..
Of course they had fireworks to end the day ^^
Esumi's background came into light.
Fun episode!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Wow, this episode also had a good emotional part, this show can be surprisingly strong in that department. I had figured out when she spoiler[received the recipe that it was ghost girl's mother]. The change in personality was kind of surprisingly spoiler[entertaining while possessed]. They called it "gal", apparently the word is "Gyaru", and it there seems to be multiple subcategories, the only one I am familiar with is Ganguro. A bit culture differences here.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
From spoiler[summer to Christmas] in a flash.. wtf just happened.
That Inoue is always angry about something..
Poor spoiler[Amami got tricked into possession.
The worst kind of being a "normal" high school girl.]

A weird story just out of the blue..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

So I actually had decided to drop this. Not that I wasn't liking it, but I got rid of a bunch of titles and this was one. I just felt it wasn't really going anywhere.

Anyway, I changed my mind and watched the latest eppie. And was promptly rewarded by being turned into a sobbing mess. Oh well. This show knows how to bring the feels, that's for sure.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was another sad episode.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Homemade chocolate issues.
Amami's love life was the topic of debate.
It was all very secretive.
She tried to hard to make it perfect..
Who was it all for?
Her friends were dying to know that.
In the end it was something kind-hearted only she would do.]
Mizmow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
The series was very lovely. A short, fun and carefree but emotional short-story. In terms of tropes it isn't very special but none really stand out negatively. They rather fit pretty well into the concept of the series.

One flaw worth mentioning was the answered issue
spoiler[about her mother being unable to visit even though Amami seemed to have overcome the need for her help. Or is she bound to that place similarly to that board?]

I haven't read the manga so I can't really tell how much is due to the original and how well it was adapted.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
It is a nice little series, though I felt the comedy lacked the energy it was trying to have. The deliveries didn't have oomph, which I think might be attested to the relatively inexperienced voice cast.

The visuals always had a washed out look which might fit with the horror aspect but the primary focus was the light hearted comedy, so I think it should have been more colourful.

There were some strong emotional moments, and I do appreciate that they had a guy as a part of their group. He was mostly a butt monkey but him being there was always considered normal.
Mizmow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Nah, the comedic impact was always at the right level for the atmosphere the series aimed at. The problem was several in-between scenes which lacked creative writing and acting.

As for the casted voice actors I don't see the issues some have, overall they were spot on and their acting good to great though definitely improvable.

Not sure about the colors anymore, I know at least sometimes the lower saturation served well the soothing(sunsets, moonlight) or cloudy atmosphere rather than the nonexistent horror.
Otherwise, maybe it's a thing there, Fairy Tail has a better budget but the new production is ridiculously washed-out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I am actually happy that the last episode acted more as business as usual summer vacation story rather than the climactic worry she lost her powers last week. A lot of the episodes have managed to fit some surprisingly poignant stories that can make one feel close to tears, even this week had one, although it was pushed back for the calm happy end.

I will say that the comedy did often feel like it did not hit hard, there was the odd one where it was quite funny, but often it became punch line and not sure if it wanted us to laugh, or just some observation. There is probably a word to describe it, perhaps Melancholic, but I would not call the tone overly sad. A controversial choice is the backgrounds, which always looked like washed out images of real places, and I think gave some credence of this horror like feel, which tended to clash characteristically with the tone. Although I think at least stopped consciously noticing it as it went on.

Thinking of a rating, I might go with Decent. I did enjoy this and it had a number of aspects that made it interesting, including the emotional stuff, but I think it lacked oomph that would leave you expectedly waiting for more. And an anime with ghosts and a number of sad things, as well as perversion bits (the cat), can only be so calm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2