• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah 9 novels so far, if you include the 3 side-story ones. As Key mentioned the first novel is already done with. But given pretty much nothing happened in it, it is to be expected that it was blitzed through. The pace should slow a bit now.

I actually prefer the original title the story had. Before the author got it published, "Familia Myth". I wonder then how much of the name change solely comes from the publisher, and whether the author wanted to change it at all.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten about the original title - it both makes more sense and defies current naming trends...and that last part might be why it was changed, at least on some level.

I've been pleased with the pacing so far, since a lot of book one felt like dragged a bit when I was reading it, wonderful world building and character creation aside.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Book 2 is out today in English, I believe. I am debating whether or not I want to try to read ahead on this one. (Assuming that any of my local Barnes and Nobles actually carries it. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first novel, and enjoyed it, but was worried the anime would turn out to be a harem-fest with how much is insinuated in the book. However, these reviews are giving me more hope for it than I initially had, which is great.

I'm really glad to hear that Hestia is being portrayed better here, and the lusty relationships that seem to define so many of these sorts of anime aren't as prevalent as they are in others. I'll definitely be working to catch up on this one.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
This is a good show, but man do the characters act like idiots
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
Quote:
Can such massive status improvements have an effect on him in terms of health or longevity? It certain has one on his brain power, as he ends up passed out in the dungeon for Aiz to find...

Well, that was his own damn fault (as suggested by the dialog) rather than a sinister side-effect of the grimoire. It's like concluding that cycling is bad for your health because the Yowapeda guys ride themselves to hypoxic blindness and exhaustion. Smile

The episode was ok, but I wish they'd spent less time on the bath and the chase and more on Lili and whatever Freya has brewing.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, yes, the mind-draining side-effect was all Bell. Laughing I guess I didn't phrase that particularly well.

We should get the full Lili story pretty soon, since that's in the second novel. I'm hoping that's what they're rushing to get to.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I find that the anime series covers the important events that happens in the light novels, but the light novel was more descriptive in the world and characters.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
That assessment is right RZ which is sad since we miss some of the more interesting side events.
blessed

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Bell better get together with his loli goddess or I will be a random person on the web ranting. Evil or Very Mad
zztop

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The novels give a bit more detail on the Soma Familia's structure.
Soma's around, but he's completely obsessed with wine-brewing with little interest in anything else (Loki gives the impression of him being like a shut-in wine-brewing otaku).
Apart from his "money for drinks" policy, he leaves the Familia to its own devices and never gets involved. Hence the awful situation.

Also, the deities have a Divine Accord making it illegal to simply march into other Familias demanding they fix themselves. Such an act is seen as a declaration of war.
Hastati

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the manga adaptation, but I think they've done a decent job with pacing. I was particularly surprised with the quality of the music choice and direction (and the animation is excellent, but I'm not keeping my hopes up that it will remain so).

I hope we get some kind of OVA for the side stories, it will be interesting to see how they explain Aiz and her Familia.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hastati wrote:
I've only read the manga adaptation, but I think they've done a decent job with pacing. I was particularly surprised with the quality of the music choice and direction (and the animation is excellent, but I'm not keeping my hopes up that it will remain so).

I hope we get some kind of OVA for the side stories, it will be interesting to see how they explain Aiz and her Familia.

Well since next episode is supposed to be centered around Aiz, we might get your wish sooner than expected.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
i generally liked this episode, but i cant help feeling as if they just were dark for the sake of being dark, in a pretentious manner. i mean, they showed enough reasons for her to hate aventurers, incuring in betrayel etc, but precisely because of how brutal they are they make her character look inconsistent. her traumas, resentmen and emotions dont match with her actions. it makes her character look too artificial

as far as the show goes, she doesnt seem to have any kind of adiction to that berverage or reason to stay with that familia, so it raises the question "why is she allowing herself to go through that much bullshit?". is she fearing they go after her? that doesnt make sense because she IS NOT HELPLESS, we just saw her easily and succesfully setting up bel for death, so SHE HAD NO ISSUES WITH KILLING OTHERS, so then "why would she just not think of killing those guys that were actively abusing her before thinkinng of killing one inocent nice guy? (logic!) and why would she not try to do it a long while ago if they were really abusing her as badly as showed in the flashbacks?".

on all these episodes they have showed her being cunning, smart and relatively strong, so why would a person that has true hatred and no issues with killing allow herself to be abused so badly without fighting back her ofenders? if they outnumber her she just needs to set them up as she just showed on this episode she can and know how. it just doesnt make sense for her to remain on that situation for that long
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not the only thing that this particular episode does right either – Hestia shows Eina how much she trusts Bell to make the right decision

that actually seemd unjustified to me, she has no reason to belief he is able to make a right decision, so far he has done nothing but fail at making good judgment, like he just did afterwards in this episode, he made the wrong judgement and was about to die because of it, the only reason he survive was because of luck, in the usual form of aiz-ex-machina. or like that other time that he impulsively ran alone ad without equipment into the dungeon to practice his new found magic, and again was about to die because of it and again only survived because of aiz-ex-machina
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9