• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the Karaage stuff isn't left out. Without that, the tension between Souma and Eizan would never make sense.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The fact that both Nikumi and Kurase have major crushes on him (to which he is naturally oblivious)...

Rolling Eyes How many times are we gonna see this cliché until it becomes tired enough for the authors that they just drop it completely? Because I'm pretty sick of it. If you're a shonen protagonist, and a girl likes you, 90% of the time, you'll have to have it SPELLED OUT TO YOU before you can get it. And sometimes, you still won't get it. Guess what? It's not funny anymore.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I just wanted to talk about it here, for some reason. Embarassed
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
What a great episode. This anime just gets better and better.

Although I agree with the preceding rant about the clueless-guy trope being played once again, I also have to applaud Soma's willingness and ability to recruit Mito-san, a former rival, to his cause. His self confidence is infectious. Mito doesn't need it the way Megumi did but it has to be the reason she is attracted to him.

With regard to his strategy I think he is/was making a mistake in not taking Mito-san up on her offer. Continue to perfect the chicken dish, but also offer the beef even if it is 3x the price. Some people will buy it, it will create enormous buzz, and it wouldn't take too long to learn how much of each kind to make.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
{This is not an IM chat room; use proper capitalization and punctuation. ~nobahn}

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
i rarely watch ecchi series now a day.. so for me to stick to an ecchi series this long.. it's rare

but it's not only that .. i want to learn how to cook as well..

Fried Chicken looks easy enough.. Smile
http://norecipes.com/recipe/karaage-recipe/

anyone here actually tried cooking some of dishes in this series? Wink
I'm waiting on an official cookbook. I heard the manga writer was making one or something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
episode 17 review wrote:
(poor Kurase can't seem to look away from Nikumi's burgeoning bosom)

I think she's well past the burgeoning stage. If they burgeon any more she'll put somebody's eyes out.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Another episode of Food Wars, another truly unpleasant female character.

Conspiring with another truly unpleasant male character. I really can't see why the fact that the opponent is female is worth distinctly pointing out in both the opening and closing sentences. Because the show might be implying she is a 'bitch' because she is a 'competitive woman'? That might be, but so is the guy she is working with, and for that matter pretty much every serious opponent Soma has had. The only exception I can think of off hand would be the italian brothers.

Rather than this being about competitive women stereotypes, I think its about this being shonen. Shonen antagonists tend towards often being evil bastards. I mean just look at something like Dragonball. Pretty much every single villain was an evil bastard. Even those that switched sides after they lost. The point is to get you to want them to lose.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Rolling Eyes How many times are we gonna see this cliché until it becomes tired enough for the authors that they just drop it completely? Because I'm pretty sick of it. If you're a shonen protagonist, and a girl likes you, 90% of the time, you'll have to have it SPELLED OUT TO YOU before you can get it. And sometimes, you still won't get it. Guess what? It's not funny anymore.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I just wanted to talk about it here, for some reason. Embarassed

Sometimes, it works the other way around too: The girl is unaware a guy likes her until it's beyond spelled out. Nisekoi is nearly completely this on both sides. We've had a bunch of "Don't you get it!? He/she is in love with you!" and they don't believe it.

Maybe Japanese audiences like that kind of thing.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
{This is not an IM chat room; use proper capitalization and punctuation. ~[b]nobahn}[/b]

just because i didn't agree with you in one thread...

now you are trolling me ? .... deleting my posts.. Laughing

the right to abuse and harass the fellow users....interesting....

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
i rarely watch ecchi series now a day.. so for me to stick to an ecchi series this long.. it's rare

but it's not only that .. i want to learn how to cook as well..

Fried Chicken looks easy enough.. Smile
http://norecipes.com/recipe/karaage-recipe/

anyone here actually tried cooking some of dishes in this series? Wink
I'm waiting on an official cookbook. I heard the manga writer was making one or something.

there's an official cookbook?

i didn't know that... probably have to import it...
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Karaage is just chicken thighs marinated in ginger and soy sauce, coated in potato starch, and deep fried.

Make it. Make it now.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
@SilverTalon01

That's a good point. I think I've just found the obnoxious female characters to be generally more abrasive and unwilling to admit any wrong-doing than the male characters, but that could be because both Erina and Alice are still teens while Shinomiya (the closest comparison thus far in the anime) is an adult who is better able to see where he might not have been 100% right/perfect. I do think the "nasty ambitious/competitive woman" is an anime trope; perhaps this show just handles it particularly poorly.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
^I can understand where you're coming from, but I rather object to Alice being included in the "horribly unpleasant woman" category. To me, Alice's primary characteristics are laid back, easygoing, incredibly competitive, and supremely self-confident - basically, she's Souma, but with a slightly air-headed ojou-sama flavor. (Though I suppose the cliche "ojou-sama" personality is frequently unpleasant, as Erina demonstrates.) Still, I wouldn't really consider her personality "bitchy".

It's possible I'm biased, though. I consider her to have the best rival chemistry with Souma out of any of the other rivals introduced, all the way up through where the manga is currently, so I'm very fond of her. (I admit, though, that at the point where the anime is I didn't really care about her one way or the other.)
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, Fall Elections is a shitty translation.

Fall Invitationals is more correct.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what our reviewer found "unpleasant" about the kaarage CEO, I thought she was great. Yeah, she's a shrewd businesswoman, but I thought her antics, like what she said after she spoke to Eizan, were hilarious. I really don't see anybody coming close to the nastiness that is Erina at this point of the story.

She's the cliched shounen villain, but I dunno, I think she's funny. This arc is so short and generally unmemorable in the manga, but the anime has made me appreciate it. This is one of the best adaptations these past 5 years, J.C. staff is doing such a phenomenal job I can't even believe it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19