• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
Are you guys asking if the dubbed version states that God is dead? It does. It's just as amusingly absurd in spoken English as it is reading it in subtitles.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It's just as amusingly absurd in spoken English as it is reading it in subtitles.

I would certainly hope so. That is the whole charm of the series if you ask me.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Are you guys asking if the dubbed version states that God is dead? It does. It's just as amusingly absurd in spoken English as it is reading it in subtitles.

Okay, with that confirmed, we can rule "Change due to censorship" out, so it was most likely some dingus somewhere who decided this.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
it took nearly the entire show airing before Funi manged to get permission to change Kumalia to Kumaria in Yuri Kuma. it is certainly possible they could be working on getting the Ophis/Orphis thing changed, and its just taking forever to get a response.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
Though I'm wondering, how did the english dub deal with the bible references? (For example, the part about God being dead)
If they went and changed them around, then I could understand Orphis, as to not make some heavily religious people rip their pants (You know, since God would be dead, but meanwhile, the serpent has ample time to wander around while looking like a little girl). If not, then it must have been the licensors.

I'm finding it really sad that someone would even suggest that this might have happened, or that people would make even a few posts of a deal out of it. This is 2015, guys, not 2005. (And I don't think Funi even did stuff like that in 2005.)

This also just furthers my impression that people are just looking for excuses to complain. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This is 2015, guys, not 2005. (And I don't think Funi even did stuff like that in 2005.)

I think it was before 2005, but Funi did do it. Most of the stuff on Toonami's afternoon block was censored which included Funi shows. I know they did it for Toonami's rules which is why I assumed that was the end of it. I jokingly replied to see if he had anything to base that on and his answer was clearly a no.

So you're making as big of a deal out of a non issue as he was.

Anyway, was Zeta specific enough?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't constitute "a lot," though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That doesn't constitute "a lot," though.

That is your argument? What does constitute a lot and what exactly is your standard? If I'm reading a professionally written, edited, and published novel, I'd consider 2-3 spelling errors in a book to be 'a lot' of them despite that probably not even coming close to a hundredth of a percent of the words. If I'm grading a hand written high school or junior high school essay, 2-3 spelling errors may not be a lot despite containing vastly fewer words. What you consider 'a lot' is going to depend on your expectation.

It may be mostly or almost entirely due to gundam, but it isn't like 95% of the discs I watched with my roommate were completely free of doing that at all. It was definitely more than that. And even 1 in 20 is a lot imo for something professionally written. Maybe it was less than 1% of total disc releases, and I'm not claiming to have watched every single dvd. I mean those were pretty expensive and you only got a couple of episodes on a disc so I'm sure I only watched a small fraction of what was available. But yeah, it was 'a lot' of the older discs that did it based on the ones I actually saw.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, sure, if you want to stretch the definition of "a lot" then you can justify anything. Strictly in the context of anime series, though, just a couple which do what you're talking about do NOT, in my book, constitute "a lot." Give me a dozen or more examples and I'll concede that it happened "a lot."

(And many of the other examples you use for how you don't need many to constitute "a lot" in certain cases are apples-to-oranges comparisons, BTW.)

Now, if you want to claim that it happened "some" then I'm totally cool with that.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it took nearly the entire show airing before Funi manged to get permission to change Kumalia to Kumaria in Yuri Kuma. it is certainly possible they could be working on getting the Ophis/Orphis thing changed, and its just taking forever to get a response.

Is that so? Well, then there is some hope it will be corrected for the dvds & Blu-rays. Though given that Sir Zechs seems to be here to stay, it might or might not get resolved. Only time will tell, I guess.

Key wrote:

I'm finding it really sad that someone would even suggest that this might have happened, or that people would make even a few posts of a deal out of it. This is 2015, guys, not 2005. (And I don't think Funi even did stuff like that in 2005.)

This also just furthers my impression that people are just looking for excuses to complain. Rolling Eyes

DxD is one of my favorite series, and I'd like the official release to be as clear of "errors and mistranslations" as possible. And in this case, I'm merely interested in what is the cause of this mistranslation with Ophis, and given that I've seen some people being mad about the whole "God is dead" thing, I thought it could've been a reason for Ophis being changed to Orphis. Alas, it was not, which is relieving. I may not care for dubs that much, censorship is bad, no matter where it is.

Though that reminds me, Key... Now that I have your attention, could you fix a few errors in few of the episode reviews?
In the review of episode 30, "Rating Game" is spelled "ratings game" twice, and in the review of episode 31, it is spelled "Ratings Game"
(And I think "Rating Game" is the correct term, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
DxD is one of my favorite series, and I'd like the official release to be as clear of "errors and mistranslations" as possible. And in this case, I'm merely interested in what is the cause of this mistranslation with Ophis, and given that I've seen some people being mad about the whole "God is dead" thing, I thought it could've been a reason for Ophis being changed to Orphis. Alas, it was not, which is relieving.

I think it's fairly obvious that someone didn't realize that it was meant to be a specific reference and so didn't consider a possible alternate spelling for what it sounded like. (And I could easily see how someone could interpret the spelling "Ophis" from how it's pronounced.) Anyway, it's a non-issue now; I just checked episode 33, and the spelling has already been corrected.

Quote:
Though that reminds me, Key... Now that I have your attention, could you fix a few errors in few of the episode reviews?
In the review of episode 30, "Rating Game" is spelled "ratings game" twice, and in the review of episode 31, it is spelled "Ratings Game"

They have been corrected.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I think it's fairly obvious that someone didn't realize that it was meant to be a specific reference and so didn't consider a possible alternate spelling for what it sounded like. (And I could easily see how someone could interpret the spelling "Ophis" from how it's pronounced.) Anyway, it's a non-issue now; I just checked episode 33, and the spelling has already been corrected.

As in, they updated the subs just to correct the name to Ophis? If yes, that surely was fast. No way it was anything but a simple mistake, then. (Only two remain now, yay)
That_Guy244

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I love DxD one of my fav LN's have read all the LN's 1-19 many times. I also liked seasons1&2 of the anime but so far this season has been such a letdown. First they skip the Stiri ranking match then the Loki battle was so meh and Loki and Fenrir's character designs were so lackluster. I will not be supporting this season with a purchase at all and if this is what I have to look forward to in season 4 then I rather them just not bother.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
That_Guy244 wrote:
I love DxD one of my favorite LN's have read all the LN's 1-19 many times. I also liked seasons1&2 of the anime but so far this season has been such a letdown. First they skip the Stiri ranking match then the Loki battle was so meh and Loki and Fenrir's character designs were so lackluster. I will not be supporting this season with a purchase at all and if this is what I have to look forward to in season 4 then I rather them just not bother.

Supposedly the author of the LNs is the one that arranged the story this way for the season. Yeah, it does drop a lot of character development. But if they had put that in, the story probably would've dragged on to about halfway where it is now. Although this stuff with Loki's curse is completely new.

There is kinda a plot hole though with the new story. As Orphis could detect the curse in Issei last episode. Yet Rias was being held by him and she didn't even notice the curse in her(unless it didn't become active until this episode).
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
SOOOO am I the only one that is REALLY disappointed by the supposed ultimate technique of the heavenly dragon's sacred gear? In the LN it says something along the lines of "and the sky was dyed red" or something like that and what I saw was something that looked like the dragon shot from S1.
and the juggernaut drive... I thought it would look like a smallish mean looking dragon and all I got was a Pokemon...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10