• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Enh, there's a certain amount of that which I will tolerate under a principle I call Hero's Privilege: the bad guys cannot ignore the hero(es) even if it would make sense to do so (unless the heroes want to be overlooked/ignored) because otherwise the hero can't be heroic. Yeah, it's dumb, but it's a storytelling principle as old as dirt.

Frankly, I get much more peeved by the "you go on, I'll take care of this" approach which is nearly omnipresent in action-oriented anime series. In some cases that actually does make sense, as the defender is simply more interested in the duel than in stopping the intruder, but all too often this is even more ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Enh, there's a certain amount of that which I will tolerate under a principle I call Hero's Privilege: the bad guys cannot ignore the hero(es) even if it would make sense to do so (unless the heroes want to be overlooked/ignored) because otherwise the hero can't be heroic. Yeah, it's dumb, but it's a storytelling principle as old as dirt.

Hmm, I get what you're saying, but he essentially did ignore them and summoned a bunch of pets while he stood there. I mean sure he probably could have just left, and I agree that really can't happen because the main characters 'need' to be involved in stopping him. I'm not really willing to go as far as to apply that to him just floating there and not fighting though. If the point is that he can't ignore them because the heroes need to look heroic fighting him, then he needs to actually be fighting.

Key wrote:
Frankly, I get much more peeved by the "you go on, I'll take care of this" approach which is nearly omnipresent in action-oriented anime series. In some cases that actually does make sense, as the defender is simply more interested in the duel than in stopping the intruder, but all too often this is even more ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure the Shonen Ethics Committee has declared ganging up on a single enemy to dispatch him quickly when also presented with the opportunity to have a one on one fight where you often nearly die is grounds for disqualification of your hero status. (Likewise the Villain's Code of Conduct dictates that you must send your lackeys out one at a time.)
Kirito itsuka

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
im am very surprised wow did they really just start this season with with a lot of character development and a back story that goes along with it to jump into a big bad ass battle so early in the anime it gives me high hopes for the other 8 episodes also i can't wait for this to be dubbed and to se who they chose for evil god LOKI !!!!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like Phil Parons is no longer Azazel that or there's just less bass in his voice this season
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
looks like things are picking up so it's time to comment
-Key, Your concerns about the Vali team's appearance are justified as in the novels, Odin had Issei and Vali work together from the start instead of coming in like this. Why they made the altercation to have the Vali team enter separately probably had to do with the significant rewriting they might have had to do with the removal of spoiler[ the rating game between Sona and Rias]
-The Rossweisse gag is starting to wear thin on me and I really want it to end.
-Well, that was an interesting way to introduce spoiler[bilingual]. Can't say it doesn't work or that it doesn't actually tie into the LN so i guess i'm happy.
-looks like spoiler[Diodora Astaroth] is making his move, this will be amusing.

All and all, a good adaptation with some odd continuity differences that don't matter in the long run and should be amusing to see how it goes.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Disclaimer > If you have not read the Light Novels don't click on my spoilers tag because they include massive spoilers! Just keep enjoying the anime.

This episode was AWESOME! There were major/minor spoiler[Mjolnir isn't supposed to show up yet, Akeno & Asia were supposed to be in the fight and heal Issei, There was no curse, the chichigami isn't supposed to show yet, Akeno&Issei had different clothes, Issei used Bilingual without naming the attack yet and Baraqil did cried.] differences but all in all TNK did an amazing job with this episode when you take in consideration how little time/episodes they have to animate the longest novels in the series. My faith has been completely restore and we're heading towards an awesome finale.

It's sad that it appears that we aren't getting spoiler[Sitri vs Rias rating game] but they can always animate it in the form of an OVA.

BTW, spoiler[the way I see it Diadora will be working for Shalba who in turns works for Loki. Loki's curse will activate an incomplete version of Juggernaut Drive and the Chichigami will use her powers to both beat Loki and amplify the Oppai Dragon song to bring Issei back.]
DLH112

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
the comment about the slang in the dub in the review. is it really supposed to be Shogun of Harlem?, like New York? or Harem?
(googled it... really random reference to The Last Dragon? o_O)
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
No, I listened to that part at least three times. She really said "Harlem," not "Harem."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
I can see why Funi would want to get the broadcast dub on this one out there, but I have to wonder if it was a great idea considering that the lead role and a major supporting role had to be recast. Justin Cook mentioned that it was a situation where "life gets in the way." Without more detail, it is hard to know if this is a scheduling issue or something more, but the comments section on Funi's blog post suggests people were more than willing to wait, especially since we have to wait for the uncensored version anyway.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
This episode was AWESOME! There were major/minor spoiler[Mjolnir isn't supposed to show up yet, Akeno & Asia were supposed to be in the fight and heal Issei, There was no curse, the chichigami isn't supposed to show yet, Akeno&Issei had different clothes, Issei used Bilingual without naming the attack yet and Baraqil did cried.] differences but all in all TNK did an amazing job with this episode when you take in consideration how little time/episodes they have to animate the longest novels in the series. My faith has been completely restore and we're heading towards an awesome finale.

Are you sure that the spoiler[chichigami doesn't appear at the very end of the part with Loki? I'm pretty sure I remember it giving him a power up, though I don't think it being the chichigami was specifically stated at that point.]

Anyway, I can't believe no one has mentioned the most important part yet... With Loki gone now, who is going to dub Issei spoiler[the Chichiryuutei and Vali the Ketsuryuukou? They can't possibly skip that, it is too important for the plot.]

Izanagi009 wrote:
-The Rossweisse gag is starting to wear thin on me and I really want it to end.

Sounds like you read at least some of the LN so you should know that is probably just because they haven't spent enough time on her yet. Shouldn't be long before they flesh out her shtick as the spoiler[nerdy college student who studies instead of going out and never has any disposable income thus perpetually shopping at the dollar store and such for discounts. They introduced the nerdy part, and they can't be far off from introducing the broke college student part which is the one that gets harped on the most. Though I find that kinda boring compared to the other girls. Maybe because it is too realistic where as everyone else seems to have crazy backstory stuff?]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that the Episode Review numbering for High School DxD BorN was changed from #1, #2 and so on to #25, #26 and so on. Personally, I think that it is a redundant numbering order, because this is clearly a separate season in the High School DxD franchise, not a continued airing of a season, like with split-cour shows - a la Aldoah.Zero or Fate/Zero. Even on the show's official site, the plot synopsis is structured as Introduction, #1, #2, #3, and so on.

Just my 2 cents.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac and I were talking about that, and he decided to go with 25+ because that's the way Funimation is numbering the episodes on their site. And yes, I know they didn't number New that way for the BR/DVD release, so I don't know what they were thinking or why they reverted it to consecutive numbering for the streaming site. If I have a chance, I'll ask the Funi rep at Acen next weekend.

American licensors numbering the episodes of a sequel series this way - even if the Japanese don't - isn't always done but isn't an unusual practice.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those who played lesser roles from earlier series – such Adam Chandler as Lord Gremory and Brittney Karbowski as Riser Phoenix – are back to reprise those roles.

I hate to be that guy, but I think you meant Ravel, not Riser.

[EDIT: This has been corrected. - Key]
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
"ratings games" should probably be corrected to either "rating games" or "Rating Games" in the newest episode review, I think. Rating Game is the "official" term, anyway.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Zac and I were talking about that, and he decided to go with 25+ because that's the way Funimation is numbering the episodes on their site.

I was curious about that too. I think that makes plenty of sense, but it seems a little odd that on the ANN main page the headline says episode 6, the DxD Born review main page that lists all the episodes says 30, the top of the actual review says episode 30, and at the bottom of the review when you score the episode it says episode 6 again. Maybe you are just in the process of converting everything? I think you could make a case to go either way, but probably better to be consistent across the board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10