• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idkAlan

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
I knew that the anime was going to stray from the LN but it really didn't bother me as much from the previous episodes until this one.
My main issue with this episode was that spoiler[Issei doesn't get out of Juggernaut Drive from hearing Rias's voice, he gets out of JD with the help of the Oppai Dragon song What's the point of using the Oppai Dragon song in the promotional video if they were never going to use it]

Other than that it was a decent episode, though I'm not sure where they're going with the series at this point since they're making it up as it is
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:
I knew that the anime was going to stray from the LN but it really didn't bother me as much from the previous episodes until this one.
My main issue with this episode was that spoiler[Issei doesn't get out of Juggernaut Drive from hearing Rias's voice, he gets out of JD with the help of the Oppai Dragon song What's the point of using the Oppai Dragon song in the promotional video if they were never going to use it]

Other than that it was a decent episode, though I'm not sure where they're going with the series at this point since they're making it up as it is

Since around Episode 7 or so, I've been leaning towards them spoiler[leaving out Book 9 and in the last few episodes both resolving the Loki story arc and covering the Sairaorg rating game and Issei's confession from Book 10, though I was hoping one episode would cover the final short story from Book 8 involving the engagement ritual that Issei doesn't know is an engagement ritual].
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
First Sirzechs, then Bilingual, and now Ophis... Anyone want to try to guess what Funi will mistranslate next?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Then please enlighten us ignorants about what the correct translations are in the latter two cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Then please enlighten us ignorants about what the correct translations are in the latter two cases.

Well, l posted the ones most use, so you should be able to see it from that. Ophis should be Ophis, since "Ophis" (or "ófis" as it is spelled in Greek) means "Serpent", so I'd be really interested to know where Funi pulled the "r" in "Orphis".

I have to admit, with Bilingual, it comes more down to opinion. "Booblingual" is fine in a sense, but I think "Bilingual" sounds better (and well, since the romaji for it is "Bairinguaru", the direct translation would be "Bilingual").

(And no, "Sir Zechs" still doesn't make any sense at all.)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
For Ophis and why adding an r is stupid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpents_in_the_Bible#Ancient_serpent

It would be like translating Lucifer as Lurcifur. I mean unless you can find me a version of the bible that uses Orphis... I'll happily accept an alternate english spelling if there is a logical explanation for how an "r" got added when going from the origin of the word to english. I'm not seeing it though.

Zuwaiss wrote:
I have to admit, with Bilingual, it comes more down to opinion. "Booblingual" is fine in a sense, but I think "Bilingual" sounds better (and well, since the romaji for it is "Bairinguaru", the direct translation would be "Bilingual").

Gonna disagree. I don't see how changing it is fine in any sense for a subtitle. You hear the word said in english. Maybe if it was just some engrish that didn't mean what the person using it thought it meant (like why the hell couldn't they fix Attack on Titan which clearly was suppose to be Attack of the Titans like the japanese part of the title), but that clearly isn't the case here. The fact that changing the meaning isn't the job of a translator in the first place aside, I find it incredibly annoying when I clearly hear one thing and see something entirely different.

In a dub, I wouldn't really care that much, but you freaking hear him say something else entirely. The point of a subtitle is to allow you to read what was said in addition to hearing it in case you for whatever reason couldn't hear it. It isn't suppose to be different. You wouldn't see subtitles on a hollywood movie just randomly use different terms than what you can hear the actors saying.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
For Ophis and why adding an r is stupid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpents_in_the_Bible#Ancient_serpent

It would be like translating Lucifer as Lurcifur. I mean unless you can find me a version of the bible that uses Orphis... I'll happily accept an alternate english spelling if there is a logical explanation for how an "r" got added when going from the origin of the word to english. I'm not seeing it though.

It seems "Orphis" means something akin to "form" or "forms" (written "órfis" in Greek), so you could almost equal it to a translator thinking that "Seal" is a perfectly fine name for a thief who'se name was supposed to be "Steal".

SilverTalon01 wrote:

Gonna disagree. I don't see how changing it is fine in any sense for a subtitle. You hear the word said in english. Maybe if it was just some engrish that didn't mean what the person using it thought it meant (like why the hell couldn't they fix Attack on Titan which clearly was suppose to be Attack of the Titans like the japanese part of the title), but that clearly isn't the case here. The fact that changing the meaning isn't the job of a translator in the first place aside, I find it incredibly annoying when I clearly hear one thing and see something entirely different.

In a dub, I wouldn't really care that much, but you freaking hear him say something else entirely. The point of a subtitle is to allow you to read what was said in addition to hearing it in case you for whatever reason couldn't hear it. It isn't suppose to be different. You wouldn't see subtitles on a hollywood movie just randomly use different terms than what you can hear the actors saying.

I don't like "Booblingual" that much, but in theory, it get's the point across, Issei is speaking the "language of boobs". HOWEVER, they had no reason to change it in the first place. Seems like someone saw "Bilingual", and the alternate name "Boob Translate", and though that it was ok to mash them together for some abstract reason, and form "Booblingual".

The case of Attack On Titan is simple - that is what the mangaka chose as the "english title" for the series. But we all know how Japanese work with the English language, and the title ended up kinda wonky.

I have to agree with you on the dub thing. Could also be because I don't really care for dubs at all, but it would feel less out of place there. But I think this is the issue of the translators not wanting to make two scripts, so if the dub makes changes, we who watch the sub have to suffer from it as well, as they'll just slap the dub's dialog as the subtitles, and call it a day. Or that is how it seems many times, at least.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Gonna have to utterly disagree about "Bilingual" here. Yeah, that's what is said in Japanese, but it's a lame and inaccurate name for what Issei is doing - in effect, bad Engrish. "Booblingual" is a vastly more appropriate term (I have to think if the original writer knew that boob was English slang for breasts, he would have used that instead) and totally in line with the way Funimation has translated/interpreted things over the course of the series.

(And yes, I'm totally going there in the "the original Japanese was actually wrong" sense. Sacrilegious, I know.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gonna have to utterly disagree about "Bilingual" here. Yeah, that's what is said in Japanese, but it's a lame and inaccurate name for what Issei is doing - in effect, bad Engrish. "Booblingual" is a vastly more appropriate term (I have to think if the original writer knew that boob was English slang for breasts, he would have used that instead) and totally in line with the way Funimation has translated/interpreted things over the course of the series.

How is it "lame and inaccurate" in your opinion? I think it works fine, Issei is able to "talk with the language of breasts", so I think Bilingual works fine. In my opinion, "Booblingual" is the more "lame" sounding one, but that is purely an opinion, so I'll leave it at that.
(But seriously, if "Booblingual" is better, should I be called "Englishlingual" for having the ability to also speak English?)

On another note, it seems Yen Press is a bit better at the front of translating names, so all glory to them.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that Orphis is a nickname for Ouroboros, the World Serpent that eats its own tail and is a symbol for Infinity (which is what we see on the palms of some of the members of the Chaos Brigade.) I thought that the 'r' might've been dropped because Japanese people basically can't pronounce it. But, if they're actually using a Greek word for serpent, then maybe I'm wrong about where they're pulling the name from.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I was under the impression that Orphis is a nickname for Ouroboros, the World Serpent that eats its own tail and is a symbol for Infinity (which is what we see on the palms of some of the members of the Chaos Brigade.)

Ophis is a nickname for Ouroboros yes. Ophis wasn't just made up to be cute because the original was long/awkward though, it came from somewhere.

Key wrote:
Gonna have to utterly disagree about "Bilingual" here. Yeah, that's what is said in Japanese, but it's a lame and inaccurate name for what Issei is doing - in effect, bad Engrish.

You can like what you want obviously, but it isn't inaccurate or bad engrish. The name of his move that lets him understand the language of breasts is bilingual. If it somehow let him understand spanish instead, you wouldn't be saying that.

Key wrote:
I have to think if the original writer knew that boob was English slang for breasts, he would have used that instead

I don't think so. All the english names for attacks he picked are actual words. Booblingual isn't an english word. It is just made up nonsense. Regardless, I don't think the intention of subtitles is to rename things based on what that person thinks the author might have done in a hypothetical scenario.

Also since you specifically said disagree on bilingual, does that mean you are in agreement that they shouldn't be adding extra letters to Ophis?

Zuwaiss wrote:
The case of Attack On Titan is simple - that is what the mangaka chose as the "english title" for the series. But we all know how Japanese work with the English language, and the title ended up kinda wonky.

No, it was originally more of a caption for the Japanese title. Though I get why it stayed the same. In this case the original author also named something, and the subtitles should respect that.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

(And yes, I'm totally going there in the "the original Japanese was actually wrong" sense. Sacrilegious, I know.)

Not sure if this has been said before, but the Japanese for Issei's breast-reading skill translates to Pailingual - a portmanteau of bilingual and "pai", a slang term for breasts.

As a result, Booblingual - while slightly awkward - is actually quite accurate.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Not sure if this has been said before, but the Japanese for Issei's breast-reading skill translates to Pailingual - a portmanteau of bilingual and "pai", a slang term for breasts.

As a result, Booblingual - while slightly awkward - is actually quite accurate.

You mean the kanji? Because the reading is very clearly 'bai' not 'pai'. And while the kanji means breast, it isn't read 'pai' anyway.

Anyway, none of that is relevant. It is read 'bairingaru' which is bilingual in katakana. Furigana tells you how something is meant to be read. In this case, it is meant to be read as an english word.

Also if they were going to name moves based on the meaning of the kanji and not the actual name of the move, why did they use 'Dragon Shot'? There are plenty of others as well where the meaning of the kanji don't quite match how it is read, and Funi has always gone with the reading before so it isn't even consistent with their other choices.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Remember that all of these decisions have to be approved by the licensor. They aren't just making things up without the licensor's knowledge and "getting away" with something, these names are all approved.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Remember that all of these decisions have to be approved by the licensor. They aren't just making things up without the licensor's knowledge and "getting away" with something, these names are all approved.

Yeah, but exactly how did that work? Did Funi submit it for approval and they were told it was ok? Or was Funi told specifically what to use? There is a big difference between something being found acceptable and it being the preference of the licensor. Also, did the author actually get a say or is the Japanese licensor deciding in his place?

I do acknowledge the possibility that Funi had no say in the matter, but just because it got official approval doesn't mean it couldn't have still been a bad decision. It just might not be Funi's bad decision, but until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume they were fine with it.

The Railgun manga apparently got approval to use 'star' instead of 'ace,' but they conceded the point later on and changed it. So its entirely possible the licensor would have accepted bilingual as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10