• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
That_Guy244

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
That_Guy244 wrote:
I love DxD one of my favorite LN's have read all the LN's 1-19 many times. I also liked seasons1&2 of the anime but so far this season has been such a letdown. First they skip the Stiri ranking match then the Loki battle was so meh and Loki and Fenrir's character designs were so lackluster. I will not be supporting this season with a purchase at all and if this is what I have to look forward to in season 4 then I rather them just not bother.

Supposedly the author of the LNs is the one that arranged the story this way for the season. Yeah, it does drop a lot of character development. But if they had put that in, the story probably would've dragged on to about halfway where it is now. Although this stuff with Loki's curse is completely new.

There is kinda a plot hole though with the new story. As Orphis could detect the curse in Issei last episode. Yet Rias was being held by him and she didn't even notice the curse in her(unless it didn't become active until this episode).
I still find this season a major letdown at best it has really killed my interest in a season 4. I guess I will just stick with the novel have been really looking forward to vol20.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
If you get obsessed with what the anime isn't covering that is in the novels then nearly any anime adaptation of light novels will be a letdown.

Although I've had quibbles with how a couple of episodes have been managed and am severely disappointed with the characterization of Loki, I've found the anime version to be working well enough overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you get obsessed with what the anime isn't covering that is in the novels then nearly any anime adaptation of light novels will be a letdown.

Although I've had quibbles with how a couple of episodes have been managed and am severely disappointed with the characterization of Loki, I've found the anime version to be working well enough overall.

I think the problem with this season that many of us have is that at least for 4 episodes (if I remember correctly) now, the story has been on almost anime-original material, and even though there was something about Ishibumi himself arranging this story for this season, it still feels very lackluster compared to what the story was supposed to be for this season.
For some reason, anime-original story seems to never end up nearly as good as the original, at least in my opinion, even if the author himself/herself had their hand in it (Akame ga Kill! is a very good example of this...)
That_Guy244

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
Key wrote:

I think the problem with this season that many of us have is that at least for 4 episodes (if I remember correctly) now, the story has been on almost anime-original material, and even though there was something about Ishibumi himself arranging this story for this season, it still feels very lackluster compared to what the story was supposed to be for this season.
For some reason, anime-original story seems to never end up nearly as good as the original, at least in my opinion, even if the author himself/herself had their hand in it (Akame ga Kill! is a very good example of this...)
I have to agree. I really wanted to like this season really liked season1&2 but just couldn't.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
That_Guy244 wrote:
I have to agree. I really wanted to like this season really liked season1&2 but just couldn't.

Not to forget how there will most likely be plenty of plotholes created by the fact that "something that happened in the LNs was substituted for something anime-original", and all the anime-original content they have to make to fill those holes...
And if you ask me, this episode already created some plotholes:
1. How did Ophis notice Loki's curse inside Issei, but not inside Rias?
2. For Loki's plan to work, there had to be a part of Boosted Gear come off and then gain a life of it's own. How did Loki know that there would randomly be a part coming off, and how did it even gain a life of it's own?
3. I could accept Loki controlling the clone himself, except he is supposed to be frozen in a prison far, far away, thus making it not-so-working.
Hopefully it'll all be explained soon enough...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
, the obligatory inclusion of the fan service is, at most, only a very minor distraction,

actually, for this series, the lack of fanservice is what I find distracting.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok... what? I was wtf most of the ep and at the end i thought that i was watching a kill la kill remake...

This doesn't deviate from the source material... it shits on it and turns left...
That_Guy244

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Ok... what? I was wtf most of the ep and at the end i thought that i was watching a kill la kill remake...

This doesn't deviate from the source material... it shits on it and turns left...
I pretty much agree on that last statement. I have zero faith in the last ep or a 4th season if it happens this season has been one big disappointment for me.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
That_Guy244 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

I pretty much agree on that last statement. I have zero faith in the last ep or a 4th season if it happens this season has been one big disappointment for me.

i think that they still don't know what is their target audience... they give fan-service that i don't think is really apropriate for young children but the character designs and quite a few point of the setting are so ridiculous (including the boobs... Rias is what 1.70m and has those...thing anging on her chest that i still wonder how she doesn't have back problems, and how akeno doesn't step on her own hair) that teens and up get a bit wtf...

Fenrir with horns on the side, Loki gets a perm, Issei turn into a Pokemon(looks like a red lugia) and rias is getting fashion tips from Kill la Kill's Protags...

But despite everything i still think we will have a 4th season because it's a huge (sort of) franchise and people still want to see the Sairaorg vs Issei fight (and the gremory-sitri RG that will probably apear on season 8).
Uokel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm just really disappointed a lot of things were simply cut out from the novels. It's not like I'm saying the anime can't have a few differences but this whole later part of the series is just a complete joke. Hell even in the novels loki was barely even a villain he was dealt with pretty fast and they simply moved on.

Man I was really hoping they were going to do the rating game tournament :/
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Ishibumi did say that they restructured the story for the rest of the seasons to flow better or something, but honestly, I can't be the only one who'd much rather have taken a little worse flow over this trainwreck of a season almost completely full of anime original stuff...
Anyway, I have to give TNK some credit, when Rias went BB with the fragment of Boosted Gear, I almost fell from my chair, and then almost died from laughter at how ridiculously bad this stuff is getting...

And dang, I was seriously waiting for that cut spoiler[Gremory vs Sitri] Rating Game...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
And dang, I was seriously waiting for that cut spoiler[Gremory vs Sitri] Rating Game...

I've seen this complaint come up fairly often. So here's the question to those familiar with the novels: If this season had included this, how long would it have taken to play out, given the franchise's normal pacing? Could it have been done and still had time for the storyline that they're pushing? For that matter, if it had been done, could this season have had any reasonable stopping point? I have my doubts, as this season has had very little fluff in it; in fact, it's almost been starved for more time in places.

This is something that I think people far too often don't consider when adaptations of the original novels are done. (And I extend this to live-action theatrical adaptations of novels, too; there are still people who complain about what was left out of the Harry Potter movies, for instance, even though I thought they brought the books to life fantastically well.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Zuwaiss wrote:

I've seen this complaint come up fairly often. So here's the question to those familiar with the novels: If this season had included this, how long would it have taken to play out, given the franchise's normal pacing? Could it have been done and still had time for the storyline that they're pushing? For that matter, if it had been done, could this season have had any reasonable stopping point? I have my doubts, as this season has had very little fluff in it; in fact, it's almost been starved for more time in places.

This is something that I think people far too often don't consider when adaptations of the original novels are done. (And I extend this to live-action theatrical adaptations of novels, too; there are still people who complain about what was left out of the Harry Potter movies, for instance, even though I thought they brought the books to life fantastically well.)

these two last episodes could have been the Rating game and the last episode thespoiler[ Issei-Rias confession.]
Then we could actually look forward to S4..
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

In my opinion, the original stuff with a littler worse flow would have been miles better than this anime-original stuff, but in the situation that they'd have stayed with canon, I think it would have fit well where it was supposed to be. Give it an episode, maybe two, before the whole fiasco with Loki, and it should still flow well. Then give us the Loki fight the way it is supposed to go, and voila.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
these two last episodes could have been the Rating game and the last episode thespoiler[ Issei-Rias confession.]

And that would have mostly or totally ignored what they had been building up all season with Rias's insecurities and the curse Loki laid. It also would have felt awkwardly forced in to put it in place of the last 2.5 episodes.

I agree with Zuwaiss that it should have been fit in earlier if it was going to be included at all, but again, what gets kicked as a result? I just don't see what they could have dropped to fit it in and still give a feeling of completeness to the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10