• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
dackquiri wrote:
spoiler[ Although I do wonder what the deal is with the airport. Wasn't the deal with Hellsalem's Lot that the Cthulhu arms swat away any planes (which is why everyone turned out to watch Zed's "land")?]

spoiler[Well from the end of the episode you can see Leo riding his bike out of Hellsalem so I guess you can go in and out by foot using the bridges and go take your plane in Newark Smile]
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
dackquiri wrote:
It's not pulling any cheap tricks to make itself marketable in Japan, either. No fanservice, no moe, and only minimal high-school-age characters. (If Leo, White and Black are under 18, they seem to be playing that close to the vest.)

Leo is seen drinking in a bar with Libra at one point, so would presumably have to be 21.

However, I certainly wouldn't have put him as that old.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:48 am Reply with quote
I'm another who had issues with the music in this episode. The Prince Igor dance at the beginning was too loud, and distracting also because it just didn't fit what was going on. Maybe it was because I hate that song, but while it was playing I couldn't wrap my head around what was happening, and everything seemed superfluous and disjointed. The other music wasn't as bad as that, but several songs did blare out and distract later. (I do love that Despair whistles music from The Magic Flute whenever he appears though.)

The beginning also seemed short on the beautiful shots I've come to love from this show. It felt like a very different hand was responsible for the beginning and end.

But the story itself flowed beautifully once it got past the first five minutes or so, and I loved the themes and how it brought them to flower. This is a great anime despite anything I disliked.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
that was... was... something... that was really... something... something alright... yeah.

ok i can honestly say i have no idea how to describe BBB, not cause it was bad or good, it was just... too detached for me i guess?

its strange but i just couldn't bring myself to 'look' at or acknowledge the deeper themes and motifs in it through watching the episodes. I've watched shows like tokyo ghoul, psycho pass and gatachaman and while i didn't always 'get' the message on the first viewing i could see that there was something deeper there. With BBB i got nothing, just a vague feeling at the end of the episodes "huh i think i missed something." Usually at that time i'd head on over to hope's review(incredibly helpful btw) and be embarrassed at all the stuff I've missed

the only reason i started watching this is cause i loved trigun.
anyway what i'm getting at is that i feel it was a bit too hard to get, maybe i was just wasnt fully invested into it cause if i had to consult a episode breakdown summary after every ep i feel like im trying too hard. and then theres the actual way things that unfolded that i didn't like but i think I've written enough

anyone else get what i'm saying... or do i sound like a fool lol
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
For BBB, my problems with the finale are the same problems that have lingered since the beginning. I just don't care enough about the cast of characters enough to care about the conflict, and because I don't care about the conflict I'm not interested enough to figure out the symbolism and motifs. Like, I get that there's a ton, and I understand the themes and some of the motifs, but I just don't care enough to attempt to figure out the rest. The show as a whole was so rushed and frantically paced I'm probably going to rewatch it at some point, at which point I may have a different perspective, but as of now I'm not as impressed as I think I could be. This really should have been a 2-cour, in order to go at a less breakneck pace and allow for more time to develop the characters. The White and Black bits were interesting, and I appreciate them for at least attempting to provide some cohesiveness to the story, but they could have been focused on more.

That said, I do really like the show overall. Each individual episode was a mountain of fun and the stylish, infectious energy made me juuuust a little bit happier each time I watched the show. The characters may not have been deep, but they were at least entertaining. I liked White and Black quite a bit, and Klaus was my favorite character. The soundtrack and animation were stellar, and the overarching theme was one I appreciate. Overall, a good show.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

anyway what i'm getting at is that i feel it was a bit too hard to get, maybe i was just wasnt fully invested into it cause if i had to consult a episode breakdown summary after every ep i feel like im trying too hard. and then theres the actual way things that unfolded that i didn't like but i think I've written enough

anyone else get what i'm saying... or do i sound like a fool lol

Nah I get what you're saying. It's how I felt about the first part of the finale. Neither one of us is stupid but we evidently both had trouble following parts of it. I don't think artists owe people accessibility to their art --they need to be true to their vision. But at the same time, if they're trying to communicate something, they need to make sure their language is that of the audience to which they wish to speak. So either we're not that audience or they failed, at least in some small part with me. Oh well. What I understood was worth it.
dackquiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

Nah I get what you're saying. It's how I felt about the first part of the finale. Neither one of us is stupid but we evidently both had trouble following parts of it. I don't think artists owe people accessibility to their art --they need to be true to their vision. But at the same time, if they're trying to communicate something, they need to make sure their language is that of the audience to which they wish to speak. So either we're not that audience or they failed, at least in some small part with me. Oh well. What I understood was worth it.

Matsumoto definitely didn't prioritize pausing to explain and making sure the audience was on the same page. While this helped give the show its frenzied, madcap feel that I loved so much, there were times I felt like calling for a time-out to clear the air. Like, while I didn't really need the glasses Arigula procured for Despair explained to me (context made their function kind of obvious), it would have been nice to just give the way they worked a couple tossed-off lines of exposition. spoiler[And I'm still trying to work out the series of events at the end of Paint It Black. White leaves the cathedral, goes to the theatre to give Sonic the camera and then... goes back to the cathedral where Despair can kill her instead of back to her hospital room? And I'm still frustrated we never did see the full sequence of events that took the Macbeth parents' lives, mortally wounded White, and left Black in a position that he could welcome Despair in. 'Cause I'm not sure it was ever explained what exactly he was accomplishing by doing so.]

It's a flawed show. But its flaws come from ambition. If I were rating this season, I'd probably give it an A-minus, even though I loved it more than some shows I'd handily give an A-plus to. (If Matsuomoto can master the art of chewing all the awesomeness she bites off, though, that minus would turn to a plus in a hurry.)
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This was probably the longest review I ever read it. I understood much better than before so well done on reviewing this episode, Hope Chapman.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
anyway what i'm getting at is that i feel it was a bit too hard to get, maybe i was just wasnt fully invested into it cause if i had to consult a episode breakdown summary after every ep i feel like im trying too hard.

I think that like Kyousougiga, this series is better in marathon mode than weekly (or quarterly!) installments. I felt the same sort of despair about Kyousougiga that it sounds like you're expressing here - I could tell it was good, I enjoyed the ride during the episodes, but I had no frikken idea what was going on, and I just kept getting more confused every episode, until I gave up and dropped it halfway through. When it wrapped, I started from the beginning and finished in a couple of days...and it was wonderful! I understood nearly everything that was going on (except for those floating geometric shapes that kept breezing through the backgrounds) and it was a great story that I'm glad a gave a second chance.

BBB was much more accessible to me, but there was still a lot that confused me, and even with the reviews explaining things I'd never get on my own after a dozen viewings, I knew it wasn't sinking into my bones. But I think it will be just as wonderful as Kyousougiga when I can watch it in one or two sittings. So don't give up! Try watching it that way and see if it changes your feelings.

As for the episode, the best/hardest part for me was the way they portrayed Leo's breakdown. He seems fine one minute, like it's just more of the same crazy shit he's already been through many times before, and then you can just see it all suddenly catch up to him and knock the wind out of him like a gut punch, and everything inside just bursts out in a flood of tears and screams. So well done.

More of this please.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
was two episodes back to back, i think the wait took away a lot of viewers, should have just cut the last ep into two 23 min episodes and had the last one be an ova bundled with the manga. i liked it, the review system around here is kinda wacky though, either the critic give out 1.5/5 or A+++++
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Nosehair wrote:
was two episodes back to back, i think the wait took away a lot of viewers, should have just cut the last ep into two 23 min episodes and had the last one be an ova bundled with the manga. i liked it, the review system around here is kinda wacky though, either the critic give out 1.5/5 or A+++++

You mean except for all those other daily streaming episode reviews that give out ratings ranging from D to B+?
Xator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
The only thing I still have not understood very clearly is why did Leonardo sent letters in written form to Michaela (who is blind), and there is no scene does not seem to indicate that someone else reads it for her. Though that is a minor nitpick that is easily overlooked by mere inference, I still loved the show.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Xator wrote:
The only thing I still have not understood very clearly is why did Leonardo sent letters in written form to Michaela (who is blind), and there is no scene does not seem to indicate that someone else reads it for her. Though that is a minor nitpick that is easily overlooked by mere inference, I still loved the show.

Yeah, I remember laughing about that in the very first episode. Apparently the answer is HER EYES ARE FULL OF STARS. This is no answer at all, but I will take it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the answer was that he essentially sent her his diary, in letter form, for safekeeping, with the promise that he'd come back some day and read it to her in person. Someone probably told her that much (maybe the person walking up behind her in her last shot? Any guesses who that was?). There's probably also a bit of artistic license in this arrangement. Smile

Given the mass destruction and literal insanity that regularly goes on in Hellsalem's Lot (he's already had his memory wiped once), that's not really a bad idea. I know a lot of my letters home when traveling had the hidden agenda of reminding me what I did, so I always told people to hang on to them so I could read them when I got back.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Awesome show, Awesome ending.

If there another Bx3, i hope they take their time writing and making it. It will be difficult to top.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13