• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildikdog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ You're right that what they claim to be doing is positive, but their facial expressions, dialog delivery, and especially the "Ha ha haaa!" laughter when they thwart any resistance just screams EVIL. You don't laugh like a homicidal maniac if you're trying to save someone from themselves. "You were going to commit suicide, but I stopped you, ha ha haaa! So quake with fear, you tiny fools!"

I only just realized that the kill-em-all White Tohru is wearing a peace symbol button and not the Mercedes logo as shown in the OP. I guess this is Stratos' idea of irony?

It's just an issue with how Gunslinger Stratos portray's them. The Timekeepers aren't bad, they don't have conflict or sadness in Dead End and decided that it's the best course for Humanity to go, even to the point that they go back in time to make it occur sooner. That's not bad, maybe slightly misguided though. I can understand making them seem a little twisted, but they shouldn't be portrayed as bad, they're not trying to be evil, all they're doing to trying to force what they think is evolution on humanity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
You could pretty much say that about any villain who's not a total caricature. Good villains have reasons for their actions and think they're in the right (and we can understand how they think that without agreeing with their methods). Cartoon villains think they're superior and revel in their opponents' misery. And laugh like lunatics.

The Timekeepers (and the Doctors too) are cartoon villains. If their motives were merely to do "what's best for you, even if you can't see that," like some wise parent wrangling children, we'd see pity for their helpless struggles to oppose her and compassion when they fail to learn their lesson and accept what's best for them. Instead, she laughs at their attempts and mocks their weakness.

Whether or not that's how they should be portrayed isn't the issue (unless they were different in the game or something). Because of how they're portrayed, it's really hard to say "they're not trying to be evil." Their responses to the opposition tells us they are trying to be evil, even if they wouldn't call it that, because they clearly take a sadistic pleasure in manipulating humanity and thwarting the resistance.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
It feels like there's no continuity between episodes. One episode ends with them jumping into a hole, and the next starts with them chillin in 2015 having a plan to have a space-time cube-shoving match with a loli and thousands of robot lady copies in an imaginary place from the sands of the future. Or something. They need to figure it out, it's a mystery. And then some people died, but who even knows who they are, and maybe they're not dead, or maybe they are, and maybe they're from Team White, and maybe from Team Black, and it's possible teams are being switched at this point but I probably would too because Team Black has the most awful outfits it's embarrassing to be part of them, and I just can't even any more.

And now Tohru has to fight other Tohru, because we've come full circle and it's awesome you guys, we tricked you with this awesome storytelling thing we did, check out how smart we are.

All I have to say is that this full circle crap had better not lead to a time loop where we all get stuck watching Gunslinger Stratos over and over for the rest of our lives, until we get sandificated. Because if so, I'm calling the Dead End guys in right now and begging for mercy.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
And now Tohru has to fight other Tohru, because we've come full circle and it's awesome you guys, we tricked you with this awesome storytelling thing we did, check out how smart we are.

I feel like this is what the whole Purple Haired Girl's parents' NOT being Tohru and Kyoka is. Is it just me or did they drop a TON of hints that Tohru is her dad when they were talking? And now, nope.

chex mix wrote:
All I have to say is that this full circle crap had better not lead to a time loop where we all get stuck watching Gunslinger Stratos over and over for the rest of our lives, until we get sandificated. Because if so, I'm calling the Dead End guys in right now and begging for mercy.

This.

Apparently the game is doing extremely well so I hold a fear in my heart of hearts that this is actually 24 episodes long.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
chex mix wrote:

I feel like this is what the whole Purple Haired Girl's parents' NOT being Tohru and Kyoka is. Is it just me or did they drop a TON of hints that Tohru is her dad when they were talking? And now, nope.

This is what the whole SHOW has been, yo. It's just been nonsense after nonsense, and the showrunners yelling SWERVE!!! constantly at the top of their lungs.

laureninspace wrote:
chex mix wrote:

This.

Apparently the game is doing extremely well so I hold a fear in my heart of hearts that this is actually 24 episodes long.

Gunslinger One Piece. Shocked
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
So, This had two different endings (You can see one in CR, and the other in Daisuki).
I liked that. I'm sure that with a bigger budget, this show could have easily become AOTS (With the double ending being the icing in the cake). It surprises me they did that, considering the low budget, but it's really nice
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
finally the ending..

Gunslinger Stratos and Blood Blockage Battlefront

two anime series from spring 2015 that i'm glad to see the ending..

but i have to say.. Gungslinger stratos is better than blood blockage

1- there's no recap epsidoe
2- at least some story behind it
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
finally the ending..

About point #1:
The lack of a recap episode was indeed nice, however having one isn't a deal breaker for me (now, 2 recaps in the same cour would be, but that's quite rare).

About point #2:
Really? A better story than the one presented in Kekkai Sensen? Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation's plot was teetering between "basic and relatively unengaging" to "incoherent and somewhat random". This show had an interesting premise, but reduced it to a low budget, B-movie kinda thing.

All-in-all, the show was, IMO, below average in nearly all aspects, nearly all the time.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
laureninspace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
finally the ending..

I have not seen much of BBB but I was under the impression it was crazy good!

Gunslinger Stratos fortunately had a pretty good conclusion, but it was such a confusing show all throughout.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
woah, finally free, and it feels great. Now, on to the next bad show that for some reason I cant seem to drop.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
woah, finally free, and it feels great. Now, on to the next bad show that for some reason I can't seem to drop.

Yes congrats all around for the troopers that made it to the end of the one. I usually defend shows from A-1 but wow was this bad all around.

@getchman: You gotta watch the bad ones to really appreciate the good ones Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
That fight. Passable animation I guess, but it just hurt my brain, even though I had it turned off going in.

Now that it's over, I feel like I should be getting a merit badge, or an immunity idol or something...

Huh, this series has a duplicate entry in the Encyclopedia, but no one has even been interested enough to write a synopsis. Or maybe, like me, no one is sure enough of what it's about to describe it. Smile
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:

I have not seen much of BBB but I was under the impression it was crazy good!

Gunslinger Stratos fortunately had a pretty good conclusion, but it was such a confusing show all throughout.

It was the opposite for me

BBB is the series i don't get..

**for the record i dropped it after episode 10.. didn't bother with the recap (10.5? ) and episode 11..

i watched it because i thought it's pretty similar to Man in Black movies in a way from the PVs

but after 10 episodes.. not sure what's the story is :/

in my opinion, Gunslinger Stratos and Blood Blockage Battlefront have the same problem

- having too many characters and they do not know what to do with them
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
It's not often (at all) to have two endings for the same anime. Haven't seen the White ending yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3