• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

I think he's more of a "I'm going to keep walking over the cliff regardless of whether there is a bridge or not" guy. Just believe in family enough and you don't need a bridge

yu is a shounen chaarcter in a seien set up, but said set up takes pity of him and makes things work out most of the time.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at how positive this review was despite the blatant fanservice. It must have been fun to write.
Did anyone else think Mika looked considerably younger in it though? I mean it may have been because of all the crying, but it was odd. Same with the scene where his eyes were changing colors. I wish he hadn't opened his mouth or zoomed in because that was legitimately creepy.

As great as this episode was, there are actually mikayuu fans out there who didn't like it. Mainly because they were actually a bit out of character, with Mika being way more emotional and Yuu more forceful than in the manga. I'm glad for these scenes, but I do hope they return to normal in the next ep.

I'm still really curious if the anime will diverge in literally the last minute or if we're going to get manga spoilers. Mirai was finally revealed and everyone's closing in on the airport where the final showdown is to happen, but I have no idea how they'll get everything in two episodes.
Tanya30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
despite the blatant fanservice.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Very Happy

Quote:
Did anyone else think Mika looked considerably younger in it though? I mean it may have been because of all the crying, but it was odd. Same with the scene where his eyes were changing colors. I wish he hadn't opened his mouth or zoomed in because that was legitimately creepy.

As great as this episode was, there are actually mikayuu fans out there who didn't like it. Mainly because they were actually a bit out of character, with Mika being way more emotional and Yuu more forceful than in the manga. I'm glad for these scenes, but I do hope they return to normal in the next ep.

To me, Mika looked the same as he usually looks, and I didn't find him creepy at all. It might be that he seems younger because this is the first time we see him this openly vulnerable since episode one. Even as a child, he's mostly cocky and self-assured, but this is Mika pushed to his breaking point.
Even if he does look younger (though I can't see it), it also might be because the anime tries to drive home the point that Mika is not just a badass vampire we're used to seeing him as; he's also a 16-year-old child who has been isolated and abused for the past four years, and who finally has the chance to be his unguarded self with someone he loves.
I've read the manga chapters in question, and I also disagree that they were out of character. In what way was Mika more emotional? He cried, blushed, and howled in pain in the manga too. The voice acting might be the reason why he came across as more emotional than manga Mika, but that's to be expected. Honestly, considering all he's been through, his breakdown was handled very realistically, and I wouldn't have expected anything less in the way of emotions than what we got. And if anything, Yuu was actually much gentler (and less of a brat) in the anime than he was in the manga, which, okay, could be considered a bit OOC, but I found it a welcome change.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Interestingly, there's only one more chapter that hasn't been adapted yet]Not even. This cliffhanger took place in the middle of the current chapter, so it's more like 20ish pages. The finale is scheduled to come about before the next chapter so it'll run ahead and either change the ending or foretell the next chapter (probably the latter)
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
I never fully realized just how big Mitsuba's axe really was until I saw this perspective shot:

And let me just say that's an awesome axe. I think it must be my favorite demon weapon. The handle reminds me of those wrenches used to open reverse osmosis filter housings:

It makes me chuckle imagining Mitsuba opening some BIG cans using her axe.

Regardless of how I'd rate the show overall, I'd rank Seraph number one in terms of spiffiest uniforms and coolest weapon designs.

Seraph of the End: Most Chic of 2015.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
It's sad that Seraph of the End is pressured for time, otherwise they could have adapted more content. There was at least one more conversation between Mika and Yuu that could've been adapted. This conversation could've acted as a sort of exposition for a season 3. However, from the start it was actually decided that the anime would have an original ending (overseen by the original author). So I reckon that is part of the reason why the manga has been adapted the way it has. It's all to save time and make way for a ending which may just blow all of our minds.

I'm looking forward to how they'll end this, even though I really don't want it to end. Oh well, there's no way I'm pulling out now!
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
If the author is helping i don't see why he can't just tell the anime studio how this arc will end and the anime can in canon get ahead of the manga. That might be against his contract though...so I guess we'll see. Seeing Mika fighting with Yu already feels like the stereotypical story tropes are already being turned upside down so I'm all into this season.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="Tanya30"]
Miyanoai wrote:

"You say that like it's a bad thing. Very Happy"

...Because it is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
final season ep,

So, a time skip, lots of major questions unanswered, and new sides being drawn up. Pretty much the "go read the novels" ending I was expecting.

I finally realized why I don't like Yu, and not just his personality but I don't like him as a character. He really has not changed from the beginning of the series, he's a one track record where literally everything he spouts is about family. The only thing that changed was who he recognized as his family, formally being the other orphans he was with, then his squad, mika, guren etc.

Based on that, he literally justifies every action he takes, as being "for my family" with pretty much zero forethought as to the consequences.

-become a Demon Army Soldier to kill vampires
-get a hold of a demon weapon that may posses him and cause him to go berserk and have to be put down
-attack enemies who are way strong than him with no realistic plan to beat them
-overdose on power up pills that should kill him guaranteed
-willingly be possessed by his weapon's demon, which should result in him slaughtering everyone around him including the people he's trying to protect
-willingly becoming a seraph which could cause another destruction of the world event

any single one of those events should have resulted in him either dying outright, being killed by enemies or put down by friends, or resulted in the deaths of his friends. The only reason none of that happened is because the plot demands it.

He's just not an interesting character because he has no depth and doesn't evolve, all his actions revolve around "family" or "getting more power" and that's it.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I finally realized why I don't like Yu, and not just his personality but I don't like him as a character. He really has not changed from the beginning of the series, he's a one track record where literally everything he spouts is about family. The only thing that changed was who he recognized as his family, formally being the other orphans he was with, then his squad, mika, guren etc.

Season 1 Yu: "Rar I want to kill all vampires! Who needs friends?"
Season 2 Yu: "Gotta protect muh kazoku!"
It's cliche but he has changed, albeit from one annoying character into another.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If this is an anime original ending, then Seraph of the End has basically fallen prey to Berserk syndrome.

The ending is anime-original. The 1st half of the final episode covered the remaining canon manga material. I don't know if author Kagami Takaya intends to make the ending events canon to the manga or not.

In regards to the light novel spinoffs, they must be read together with the manga to give the reader the full picture of what's going on in the current timeline.

For example, an interesting fact on Mahiru:

spoiler[She and Shinoa were conceived as part of a Hiiragi-led experiment to create powerful Demon Weapon users at without getting possessed. To do this, Hiiragi patriarch Tenri impregnated a demon-possessed woman. Mahiru quickly established herself as the brighter, smarter sister, and Shinoa was put aside.
However, a demon was growing inside Mahiru, and by her teens it was strong enough to possess her completely. She later betrays the Hiiragis to join the Hyakuya Church to find a cure and remove the demon in Shinoa as well. Mahiru later takes Shinoa's demon into herself, but the failure to remove her own demon results in her permanent possession and insanity. Guren is later forced to kill her. In the light novel, Krul comes across Mahiru and turns her into a vampire as well.]
Mizerous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That's how Krul Tepes goes out really that's weak. -___- ]
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Quote:
If this is an anime original ending, then Seraph of the End has basically fallen prey to Berserk syndrome.

The ending is anime-original. The 1st half of the final episode covered the remaining canon manga material. I don't know if author Kagami Takaya intends to make the ending events canon to the manga or not.

He probably gave WIT drafts to work with. that would explain why the the 11th epmade some weird minor deviations 9they wer based on the non-finalized manga drafts).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
It would be cool if we eventually got more of this. And I agree with Gabriella, I would not be surprised if this were to end up on Toonami.
Tanya30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
[quote="animemaster1"]
Tanya30 wrote:
Miyanoai wrote:

"You say that like it's a bad thing. Very Happy"

...Because it is a bad thing.

Fanservice could be, and often is, a bad thing when it is excessive and/or offensive (like gross sexualisation of characters). There are some eyebrow-raising instances of it in Seraph (like the female vampires' ginormous breasts, for example.) However, fanservice is not an inherently bad thing; it can be harmless, inoffensive, and fun. And what we saw in episode 22 (which was just two boys being emotional and a bit touchy-feely with each other), to me, qualifies as exactly this kind of fanservice.

While I like Yu (or Yuu?.. whatever the hell the officiall spelling of his name is) , I completely agree with your criticisms of the character. His main problem, in my opinion, is that he rarely, if ever, faces any consequences for his reckless actions. Not to mention that, despite his very visible flaws, he is liked by virtually everyone he meets. In other words, he's a Marty Stu. I still like him, but he needs some complexity and some realistic character growth, and the only way he could get the latter is if he stops getting one lucky break after another and is put into a situation where he has to deal with the consequences of his decisions.
I'd also like to see some real conflict in Shinoa's squad; everyone getting along because they're FAMILY is boring and unrealistic (and no, Yu and Kimizuiki playfully butting heads does not count.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17