• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
A very decent first episode. I was looking forward to more, but NOPE, right back into Japanese High School Setting number 37465826. Goddam it Japan, can't you do ONE show without teenagers battling the forces of evil and them NOT being in high school? At least the music is great, but there's a tad too much BL-vibes in this show, even though there isn't any actual BL. Pedo-vampire doesn't count.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
A very decent first episode. I was looking forward to more, but NOPE, right back into Japanese High School Setting number 37465826. Goddam it Japan, can't you do ONE show without teenagers battling the forces of evil and them NOT being in high school? At least the music is great, but there's a tad too much BL-vibes in this show, even though there isn't any actual BL. Pedo-vampire doesn't count.

I mean it's a shounen series...if you want non high schoolers, try a seinen series...
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
@_Cyphon_ -
I too wondered why there were students sitting in the stairwell, but then I realized that since there had been an explosion, they might have been too injured to flee. This thing about making a friend was cheesy, and as you pointed out would be more likely to cause someone to only pretend someone is their friend in order to advance, but those problems aside it's not completely absurd. Having a brash loner instead of a teammate could get everyone killed, so certainly some demonstration of the ability to care about other people would be a reasonable thing to expect from someone you're going to fight alongside.

@Miyanoai -
DmonHiro has never struck me as the type to kvetch over the school element for the reasons you probably assume. The first episode established a sort of post-apocalyptic setting where one would not expect high school hijinks to be an option, so the abrupt transition to a typical school setting which seems out of place with what was previously shown gives the impression of cramming in yet another cliche.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
I mean it's a shounen series...if you want non high schoolers, try a seinen series...

There are quite a few, other shōnen animes that don't take place in a school - like Naruto (the whole series starts right after the graduation), One Piece or Fairy Tail - or don't feature teens as the main cast - like Barakamon, Nanatsu no Taizai or Sengoku Basara.

On the flip-side, seinen animes like Non Non Biyori, Gokukoku no Brynhildr and Isuca are School Life-centric. So the shōnen/seinen demographic doesn't mean an automatic School Life/Guts-in-your-face series, respectively.

My main issue with the show is that it's yet another School Life anime whose primary premise and execution are quite generic and very similar to other, similar shows like Ao no Exorcist or Strike the Blood.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
First episode was OK. Enough to get me to watch the second.
The OP of the second episode kind of gave away some future big plot twists, foreshadowing a story type that is not my favorite, but I pressed on.
Get to classroom, and main character is shown to be a disrespectful tool of a human being in a military, my number one most despised character type.

Too many other shows on Saturday, and too little time to waste hate watching anything anymore.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

There are quite a few, other shōnen animes that don't take place in a school - like Naruto (the whole series starts right after the graduation), One Piece or Fairy Tail - or don't feature teens as the main cast - like Barakamon, Nanatsu no Taizai or Sengoku Basara.

Doesn't that basically answer DmonHiro's question about whether Japan can produce that then?

@Parse Error: I'll admit I had the same problem, especially with how sudden it was. The good news is it doesn't stick around for long.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Doesn't that basically answer DmonHiro's question about whether Japan can produce that then?

No, my post comes as response to you when you wrote
Miyanoai wrote:

I mentioned examples both of shōnen shows that aren't set-up as School Life, and of seinen shows that are School Life. So accepting that Owari no Seraph's School Life settings as a given shōnen trope strikes me as odd.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

PROTIP: this IS a Seinen series. Keep watching.

Don't believe me, check this very minor spoiler image from the manga, which SHOULD appear in the show... next episode? Also one of my FAVORITE manga moments because spoiler[I HATE HIGH SCHOOL SETTINGS. Especially when the world in on the line.]

Personally I enjoy the Seraph manga a LOT. I dig post apocalyptic settings, and its got more then a fair shake of Shin Megami Tensei built into it (which I also love). I don't know if the anime is ultimately going to do it justice, but keep in mind that this IS seinen series. Not Shonen.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

I mentioned examples both of shōnen shows that aren't set-up as School Life, and of seinen shows that are School Life. So accepting that Owari no Seraph's School Life settings as a given shōnen trope strikes me as odd.

I guess it just had to do with te shounens I've personally seen. It's so common to me that I didn't really think much of it.

@Mr. Adventure: I've read the manga (I actually eluded to that line in my earlier comment). Even after everything that happens, it's still very shounen (it's about as dark as AoT honestly).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Get to classroom, and main character is shown to be a disrespectful tool of a human being in a military, my number one most despised character type.

Yeah, that was a big reason why I didn't like Seraph of the End in the manga early on. Yuichiro is a LOT less likable than Eren Jager.
lord_goodman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Like the next Attack on Titan? Just because they share some ideas doesn't make them anything alike. This show is awful. From the blonde kid being the equivalent to the vampires sex slave, to the totally stupid "twist" where the vampire tricks his blood buddy into trying to escape, so he can murder him for some reason (killing the little girls tagging along too for lazy drama reasons), only to bring him back so they can have their code geass aldnoah bullshit. Boring single minded main. Characters that look like they probably won't do shit but wish the main was there to save them.

Not to mention the [expletive] school. The plague wiped out 99% of the world's population. Monsters ate more of them. The world is [expletive] over. And there's a perfectly normal math teaching school five minutes from vampire headquarters. Oh right. but they teach you to fight a vampire with cursed weapons. Three episodes in, and that's gone nowhere, probably not going anywhere anytime soon. Awful, awful awful. 1/10. 1 point for animation. At least they had the budget to hire an animator even if that meant outsourcing the writing to the director's disabled son.

Last edited by lord_goodman on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
BWLJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
So far there hasn't been anything in this show that's made it stick out from really any other Shonen. I don't necessarily hate it, or really have that strong of an opinion about it for that matter. It's just very, very bland. I mean i guess if you are like 6, haven't experienced that much genre fiction of any medium, and are still in that phase where you just have to prove how grown up and mature you are I guess I can see how you'll like this.

The only really awful thing that makes me go "oh my god this is so painful to watch" is the dialogue and the protagonist. Other than that not really remarkable, not even worth hate watching. I mean, don't misunderstand me, this really bad, it's just that I've seen much worse.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Perhaps you should get out and meet more people, so you can better understand why people like things.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
@lord_goodman: killing them would have been because they were defying them. There could be a another reason they brought him back, and it they have yet to show who turned him in the first place.

There are two (or there may have been a third, I forget) capitals that are shieldied and guarded and are safe from the vampires. Hence why they're so calm there. But as described in ep 3, the school has an alterior motive to see who has the potential to weild a demon weapon, because it's impossible to go up against a real vampi without one. Those who can't,why shouldn't they try and live a normal life and focus on reproducing?

Even the manga has a slow start, but I will say it gets better once they finally go "outside".
lord_goodman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Perhaps you should get out and meet more people, so you can better understand why people like things.

Maybe you should tell us why you like it so we can better understand how anyone could?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17