• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWLJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Perhaps you should get out and meet more people, so you can better understand why people like things.

Oh no, I understand why people like this. In the same way I understand why people like Twilight, the Transformers movies, Code Geass and Aldnoah.Zero.

If I had watched this six years ago I would've probably ranted about how this is one of the worst things in anime. But in the past few years I've seen so much shit that in comparison this is just kind of unimpressive. It's still bad, it' just not awful.

Also that has to be the lamest attempt at a "get a life" insult. I mean, I get that if you are resorting to that you are probably already scraping the bottom of the barrel, but at least try a little harder.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry you felt it was a "get a life" insult. It was actually a "why on Earth do you brag about not being able to understand why other people like the things they like?" insult, as you seemed to only be able to extend that comprehension to people who "are like 6, haven't experienced that much genre fiction of any medium, and are still in that phase where you just have to prove how grown up and mature you are." But I guess you've clarified that you do get that some people just like to enjoy themselves. I don't agree that shows made to be enjoyed, and successfully entertain tons of people by letting them enjoy themselves, can be sensibly described as "bad," but that's an old, old discussion.
lord_goodman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
@Miyanoai: The problem with the defying thing is that the vampires not only gave them the ability to escape he also planted it in the blonde's head. Maybe if their relationship hadn't been entirely invisible, maybe if we knew more about the vampire, it would make more sense. Like if he loved toying with people or something, but as shown it just seemed like he was killing of his preferred blood slave for no reason.

And the thing about the cities is how? Unless all of humanity has clustered to these places in the last few years, the population should be abysmally small, and these nice protected capitals should at least be a but unfinished. Not to mention there are giant apocalyptic monsters roaming around. Sure its fantasy but come on, they're bullshitting so much just so they don't have to be creative and can just make another stupid high school monster fighting anime.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
lord_goodman wrote:
@Miyanoai: The problem with the defying thing is that the vampires not only gave them the ability to escape he also planted it in the blonde's head. Maybe if their relationship hadn't been entirely invisible, maybe if we knew more about the vampire, it would make more sense. Like if he loved toying with people or something, but as shown it just seemed like he was killing of his preferred blood slave for no reason.

And the thing about the cities is how? Unless all of humanity has clustered to these places in the last few years, the population should be abysmally small, and these nice protected capitals should at least be a but unfinished. Not to mention there are giant apocalyptic monsters roaming around. Sure its fantasy but come on, they're bullshitting so much just so they don't have to be creative and can just make another stupid high school monster fighting anime.

Seeing as they are both actually alive, you don't think maybe we'll learn about what their relationship currently is and used to be? Like for example spoiler[the fact that Mika was the one who approached Ferid to suck his blood. He didn't plant it in his head, it was Mika's idea from the start and Ferid had probably figured it out from the beginning so he used it to his advantage 'have some fun'.]

Maybe the numbers were a bit off, but it's not all of humanity, just most of what was left of Japan. I don't know what you were seeing but I saw a crap load of ruin outside of the school. Seeing at least one area look nice after four years isn't that bizarre...
lord_goodman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Still even without that stuff what makes this a good show? Can you give me some reasons?
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like how you won't be quite sure who's good or bad later on. Also the interactions between the characters becomes hilarious.
It may not be incredibly unique, but it's certainly not as bad as you had described. Of course it could also be preference. I would give it a few more eps and if you still don't like it, that's fine too. Not everything is for everyone. Smile
spoiler[also yandere!Mika Razz]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
There could be a another reason they brought him back, and it they have yet to show who turned him in the first place.

The manga has already shown who turned Mika. spoiler[It's Krul Tepes, hence why he is one of the Progenitors, though the manga hasn't shown why she chose him.]
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was mostly boring, even if it did give us some (unintentionally) hilarious lines, such as, "Hurrah for illicit sexual relations!" and the one mentioned in the review. My personal favorite was when they referred to a sword as a "gear." The demon weapons having special names I get, but a regular sword?
As a side note, I don't think the "you need to get laid to repopulate the earth" thing is ever brought up again, which kind of makes that whole exchange kind of surreal.

lord_goodman wrote:
At least they had the budget to hire an animator even if that meant outsourcing the writing to the director's disabled son.

Hey, let's not get nasty here. Hate the show all you want, but please don't use disabled people as an insult.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The manga has already shown who turned Mika. spoiler[It's Krul Tepes, hence why he is one of the Progenitors, though the manga hasn't shown why she chose him.]

Yes but the anime hadn't. I was pointing that out to people who had only watched the anime, implying that it will get explained in the future. The manga I'm pretty implied the second half of that as well spoiler[because he also contains the seraph gene and he was dying, so that was the only way to keep him alive at the time]

@calico: true but they do make fun of him being a cherry boy a few more times
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay. You're referring to the anime. That changes things.

By the way, regarding the review, the ruling class in Zardoz have the opposite stance as virginity being evil: They want to stop humanity from having sex while thinning the population by killing them (and having them kill each other, hence Zardoz's appointed Exterminators). "The gun is good; the penis is evil."
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
*snickers* Lord Flouncypants...I can't even take him seriously because of that strut of his in the op. But I guess that's the idea. He's meant to be less creepy and more of the "trash character that everyone loves" after this.
Same with Yu, you wanna lunch him in the face every time he comes on screen so there's a lot of room for improvement.

Also I think the reason they never bothered hiding the reveal is because of how long it takes to happen. Only the end of episode 3 and I've been seeing reaction videos where most people guess it immediately before seeing the op, so it was pretty obvious. "Why bother missing out on a great op and promo pics for a surprise that wouldn't take long or even exist?" was probably their reasoning.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
i hate main character like this. I'm dropping this one. I like MC like Shiba Tatsuya or Kirito much better. Even new shonue series like world trigger have better main characters.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i hate main character like this. I'm dropping this one. I like MC like Shiba Tatsuya or Kirito much better. Even new shonue series like world trigger have better main characters.

You know, normally I would start bashing on you, but I do see why you would dislike him. As it is right now I believe this series has been way overhyped. Same as last time, my main issue right now is that I can't form any kind of emotional bonds with any of the characters. Yu is still the reckless douchebag, bullied kid is still uninteresting, and Shinoa is just a flat disappointment (no pun intended). She's supposed to be the supervising officer, but she just fails at everything she's supposed to do, and she still gets away with it! She doesn't stop Yu when he enters the forbidden training spot, doesn't stop him when jumps down the railings to fight the demon, doesn't stop him when he goes to grab the axe, and at the end of the day makes him part of the official vampire slaying team when he clearly disobeyed orders. Her monotone voice isn't helping either. Everything she says just doesn't make impact. She jests Yu and hangs out with him like childhood friends when they've met for, what, 2 days? This series could use more character development. That being said, a slight redeeming factor in here was we finally get introduced to the weapons the team uses, and they're pretty cool.
Realquick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what annoyed me more this week. Shiro's stunt in ubw or Yuu being a rebellious dumbass.
Xenire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

PROTIP: this IS a Seinen series. Keep watching.

Don't believe me, check this very minor spoiler image from the manga, which SHOULD appear in the show... next episode? Also one of my FAVORITE manga moments because spoiler[I HATE HIGH SCHOOL SETTINGS. Especially when the world in on the line.]

Personally I enjoy the Seraph manga a LOT. I dig post apocalyptic settings, and its got more then a fair shake of Shin Megami Tensei built into it (which I also love). I don't know if the anime is ultimately going to do it justice, but keep in mind that this IS seinen series. Not Shonen.

Really? You think that just because it provides an excuse for the school setting it's somehow now automatically a seinen? This is a shounen. Not only is it completely full of shounen themes, stylings, and clichés but it's also something that is set in stone with the publication itself. It's impossible to even argue that it's closer to a seinen than a shounen as a generalization considering the elements used to craft this series.

I tried reading the manga back when the series was brand new and I was completely turned off it by the way the introduction was handled. The whole thing feels like a sucker punch because the start seemed dark and mature to some degree with a lot of potential but then suddenly in the next chapter: school life. A long time after I quit reading, I came back to it and read through it getting completely up to date with the manga. I managed to accept the series for what it is (a rather typical shounen) and even came to enjoy it to some degree.

My advice to anyone who is considering trying to watch the anime is just know that you are going to be watching an action shounen. Seraph does a better job than many others in the genre when it comes to a coherent story (patience is required), but in the end it's still a cliché shounen series. Seraph could be great but doesn't take any risks while settling for mediocrity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17