• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
'Shinoa claims that there's no way to de-vampire-ify someone, but Yu remains insistent.' -- From the Ep. 13 review

IIRC, Shinoa didn't say that there's no way to de-vampirify someone. She said that she doesn't know of any way to de-vampirify someone, which isn't quite the same thing. It means it is possible that a way does exist, only Shinoa doesn't know about it. So it's not impossible that Yu might eventually learn of a way to save Mika. Of course, I doubt, even if he does learn of a way (and I expect he will), that it'll be anything simple or straightforward.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Weren't the Ichinose's just a branch family? This is “evil twin” levels of resemblance. I sense a dramatic family secret...)

"Our clan has for generations suffered under a terrible curse. The curse of...same-face!"

Did I miss it, or is the blonde with Kureto a relative of Mistuba? 'Cause they have some same-hair syndrome going on too.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Did I miss it, or is the blonde with Kureto a relative of Mistuba? 'Cause they have some same-hair syndrome going on too.

They didn't actually state it but yes, that girl was Mitsuba's older sister, Aoi Sangu.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
New OP and ED music were disappointingly generic. I was looking forward to either different parts of the original songs, or new [nZk] songs, but these would fit with any series out there (the lyrics maybe less so, but the tunes and their arrangements are off-the-shelf standard).

I was thinking Guren as Ferid's contact too, but it's so obvious, I'm starting to lean toward Kureto, though I haven't come up with a motive yet.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The powers and weapons characters receive in this show, frankly, feel like something you'd see in a fighting game: Most of them are close-quarters with a few mid-range and long-range users, but all of them are designed strictly for head-on clashes. I remember seeing Shinoa's scythe and thought, "That's so fighting game."

Not that characters ought to be defined by bizarre, weird powers or weapons (that should always come secondary to the characters' personalities and the story), and they DO use them in non-fighting-game ways (such as flanking, use of terrain, and advantages in numbers), but Seraph of the End feels more pronounced than anything else I've seen or watched recently in this aspect as far as their core abilities go.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I think episode 15 was great. Maybe I am too sentimental, but I enjoy seeing the family moments between the members of Shinoa's squad. The overall narrative is also improving, and I look forward to seeing if this positive momentum will continue in the last nine episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 15
Quote:
His immediate goal is to make contact with human civilizations that may have survived on other continents.

And crush them. I suspect that's the part that Guren has a problem with, more so than Kureto's childish dreams of world domination.

I agree that the camera work during that scene was pretty good, except for that weird reverse cut with no buffer shot when changing the pov that made it look like a slew of frames were missing.

Quote:
We end on Kureto performing some sort of experiment involving a vampire. I guess this is how they make Black Demon weapons?

What did I miss that made you think it was a vampire? Given what Guren and Kureto talked about earlier, I thought it was a human child and they were trying to make Black Demon weapon users. Also, given that Guren's weapon is Shinoa's sister, it would seem that Cursed Gear are made from people (unless she was made a vampire first - do we know yet how she became the weapon?) and apparently they already know how to do that. It's users that are in short supply, hence the experiments to create them at will rather than waiting for capable users to show up.

So does this mean that Kureto is Ferid's contact after all, or are there two separate lines of intel flowing between the vampires and the humans? I always figured Guren knew Yu was coming due to Ferid tipping him off, but maybe there really was some sort of prophesy/prediction.

(if you know the answers from source material rather than the anime, please don't reply to this at all)
Tanya30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
New OP and ED music were disappointingly generic. I was looking forward to either different parts of the original songs, or new [nZk] songs, but these would fit with any series out there (the lyrics maybe less so, but the tunes and their arrangements are off-the-shelf standard).

I so agree with this. I loved the first OP/ED; the new OP sounds as if it came out of an early 90s computer game to me, and ED is...okayish, but nothing memorable. What a disappointment. The animation was nice, though.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
What's with this season and red CG super cars? First Perfect Insider busts out an Alfa, now Seraph brings a Lamborghini, I think an Aventador, if I had to guess (and cuts it in half!).

The mood changed dramatically when they got to meeting point. It went from "lol sorry we're late, should have see the prank we pulled" to "This isn't a f---ing game, kids. If you gonna screw around, gtfo". Shinoa's squad suddenly realized they were kids among adults, capable though they may be, though that made a nice contrast for went Yu maturely took the heat. I'm going to miss the messing around with each other though. It led to such great banter in the first season, especially the scene where Shinoa learned she wasn't going to be the driver of the vehicle. Though purposely avoiding Yu to undercut him trying to look cool using a jump ahead of the car, take out bad guys, land on car again maneuver.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
This is shaping up to be a new favourite for me. I adore the animation and the characters are becoming more interesting as the story progresses. I was worried they would fall flat, but it seems like there is some development going on. The plot leaves something to be desired with it's pacing, but I have sat through much slower anime.

Also - Ferid is too fabulous for words.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, given that Guren's weapon is Shinoa's sister, it would seem that Cursed Gear are made from people (unless she was made a vampire first - do we know yet how she became the weapon?)

From what I understand, half the appeal of the prequel light novel series is "find out how Shinoa's sister became Guren's weapon" (while the other half is "everybody wants to sex up teenage Guren").
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18
Quote:
The human mole's identity is also still unknown.

Wasn't Kureto outed in episode 15 when he received the intel from the carrier pigeon?

I liked how they all took time to clean up for the group photo at the end. :)
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sayuri's generic sword turns out to be a special sword covered in paper

Her sword is made out of onymoudou charms. I actually really liked that animation sequence; not as impressive as seeing the demon weapons materialize, but still :3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
ep 20,

*sigh* another episode showing the bone head Yu. He occasionally shows some common sense but then throws it all away as soon as he gets emotional.

The only reason they are all still alive is because Crowley doesn't even care enough about them to catch or kill them. He could have easily slice them all in two while they were busy tackling Yu and dragging him away.

Then he goes and overdoses, thinking he'll be perfectly fine with zero reason to believe that. The sad thing is that he WILL be fine because he's the main character and is protected by plot armor. It's really hard to cheer for a main character when all they do is try and get themselves killed but don't die because they are the main character.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Then he goes and overdoses, thinking he'll be perfectly fine with zero reason to believe that.

He didn't seem to think he'd be fine at all, what with all that "I'd rather be dead" line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 17