• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Rose Bridges wrote:
the Lusitanians killed Andragoras

He's probably still alive as he's pictured in chains during the ending credits.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to see Narsus's art to judge for myself. Smile
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the best episode so far. Narsus is one of my favorite characters in the show and Rose's review pretty much nails all the reasons why he's so interesting
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I really wanted to see Narsus's art to judge for myself. Smile

Very Happy

Nice review, and I agree I really enjoyed Narsus's introduction here.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
Gieve`s voice is a little annoying. I would like him to sound more like a sweet talker. Though so far the worst voice for the main cast is Elam (way too adult). The production is definitely picking up, and one of the things that this version really does better is show the battles. There was very little detail to how battles were run in the OVAs.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Endcard artists thus far:
1) Nakaba Suzuki (7 Deadly Sins)
2) Tanaka Yoshiki (Congrats message from novel author)
3) Seo Kouji (A Town Where You Live)
4) Kumeta Kouji (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Uchoten Kazoku designer)
5) Watanabe Shizumu (Kore Kanojo wa Fiction desu, Real Account)

Still can't believe the Japanese let Arslan air in Japanese primetime, what with all that level of blood and violence happening. I'd expected a more otaku-hour slot.
I always thought their primetime was solely reserved for not-so-violent family fare like Sazae-san, Yokai Watch and Pokemon. (Detective Conan and Gintama being the few exceptions)
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Endcard artists thus far:
1) Nakaba Suzuki (7 Deadly Sins)
2) Tanaka Yoshiki (Congrats message from novel author)
3) Seo Kouji (A Town Where You Live)
4) Kumeta Kouji (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Uchoten Kazoku designer)
5) Watanabe Shizumu (Kore Kanojo wa Fiction desu, Real Account)

Still can't believe the Japanese let Arslan air in Japanese primetime, what with all that level of blood and violence happening. I'd expected a more otaku-hour slot.
I always thought their primetime was solely reserved for not-so-violent family fare like Sazae-san, Yokai Watch and Pokemon. (Detective Conan and Gintama being the few exceptions)

That's only been the case for about a decade. City Hunter aired during primetime, as did Fist of the North star, Dragon Ball Z etc.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
maybe i should watch something else and come back to this series when it's finished airing.

i hate the suspense-- one episode per week-- saw episode 5 so when is next episode!!! ? Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
In a perfect world, we'd have the look of the film/OVA series and the pacing of this. IIRC, the first film did the opening battle during the opening credits; it's awfully pretty, but glosses over so much that you really don't get much feel for the politics and maneuverings of armies.

OTOH, after five episodes, this adaptation is only up to page 118 of the first novel's 243 pages (technically, four episodes, since the book starts where episode 2 begins; episode 1 is either TV-original or from Arakawa's manga). Being as there are 14 books and counting, I'm not expecting a full adaptation unless this does really well. Though just in case, I do hope Tanaka's working on additional volumes/wrapping it up. He finally finished Tytania at book 5 this year, too late for it to be part of the TV series that adapted the first three books (written more than 20 years before books 4 and 5).

I'm getting used to Arakawa's character designs, and am hoping the introduction of a ridiculous outfit we've seen in promo art isn't going to disrupt the mood too much.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
They are definitely planning to make this series a long running one. I can understand the reviewer`s worry about halfway through the season still being focused on these kingdom`s, but as every ending clip states Arslan will be king.

Part of the reason it`s hard to care that much about what`s going on so far is that as Arslan said himself in the first episode with the Giraffes. He really doesn`t know that much about the surrounding area. We are getting the same understanding of these characters he has. Vafriz was extremely important, and his head appearing mattered because he was important to Arslan. The rest of the generals are people he knows in a way, but hasn`t had as much contact with.

I am not bored with how things are going, but it is clear that Pars is a learning tool for Arslan. He cares about his kingdom, but doesn`t really understand it. With the destruction of it we are seeing an example of the things he`s learning. And as Gieve stated, there doesn`t seem to be any ruler around who is worth following.

The kingdom they want us to care about will be the one Arslan makes.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
I really like what they are doing with this series. It's not often anime tackles large issues like slavery and does so in a believable way. So it can definitely be commended for that.

Where I'm leery is the introduction of the female character in the next episode. With the exception of the queen, there haven't really been any notable females in the series, and I'm glad they are going to fix that. But my big fear is that she will be used for fanservice. I'm loving this show and I don't want it to sink to that level. I doubt it will, but the worry is still in the back of my mind...

Also Arslan and GOT are both high fantasy series, not low fantasy. Unless I'm reading your post wrong, if that's the case, sorry about that!
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
"GoT is full of colorful and complex characters at every level of importance, so I do care about the fate of the Westeros nation and who rules it."

I'm not going to make any friends for this but I disagree. Comparing Arslan's world to GoT fails because almost every single main character is a psychotic mass murderer, so it doesn't really matter who rules Westeros in the end, since the show has demonstrated that evil will always prevail and that the humans are ten times worse than the white zombies who want to literally kill everybody.

In short, I care a lot more about Arslan and his universe because not everybody in it is a sadistic monster, unlike GoT.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
"GoT is full of colorful and complex characters at every level of importance, so I do care about the fate of the Westeros nation and who rules it."

I'm not going to make any friends for this but I disagree. Comparing Arslan's world to GoT fails because almost every single main character is a psychotic mass murderer, so it doesn't really matter who rules Westeros in the end, since the show has demonstrated that evil will always prevail and that the humans are ten times worse than the white zombies who want to literally kill everybody.

In short, I care a lot more about Arslan and his universe because not everybody in it is a sadistic monster, unlike GoT.

You are not wrong at all. I find the comparison like apples and oranges (and I don't think the review makes a lot of sense on those grounds). Plus the characters in GoT are in your face extremes - nature of the story. Honestly the world building as well as the plot necessitates a certain amount of slow burn on characterization. My guess is we'll hit the ground running soon here and our characters will come into their own richness. And I certainly hope it doesn't take its cue from GoT. Not The type of show I figure this to be.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
And I certainly hope it doesn't take its cue from GoT. Not The type of show I figure this to be.

I really wouldn't worry about it, considering Arslan is 10 years older then ASoIaF Very Happy
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
And I certainly hope it doesn't take its cue from GoT. Not The type of show I figure this to be.

I really wouldn't worry about it, considering Arslan is 10 years older then ASoIaF Very Happy
I'm not, lol. But ya never know how adaptations go. I've seen some pretty radical departures from source material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17