• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon Author Mamare Touno Charged With Tax Evasion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
Slightly off topic (or is it?) but Yen On was supposed to release the first translated LN of Log Horizon in March. Has anyone gotten it or can comment on the release? specifically the translation quality?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Mark Gosdin is right, but I find it really hard to believe that you don't know you owe several hundred thousand dollars in taxes. I can understand small amounts, but not several hundred thousand dollars.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
(@Hoppy800 Nothing is free in germany.)
I find it fascinating how fast he became a millionaire and it is ironic that his first series has a vocal economics subplot. I guess his methods don't quite work in the real world Cool.
I always find stories as this highly fascinating as my salary is being payer by the taxpayer themselves. The Spice must flow (into my bank account) after all.
It will take a bit of time to get Touno accounts in order but he will be under close observation for the rest of his career i guess. By NHK too as 200k+ isn't chump change. Well the most famous german is also a published author wrote this one book from prison so... it´s unreadable and even more deranged than one would think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
pinder_2009 wrote:
Slightly off topic (or is it?) but Yen On was supposed to release the first translated LN of Log Horizon in March. Has anyone gotten it or can comment on the release? specifically the translation quality?

Manga was the end of March. Light novel release date is April 21st.

As for translation quality, I just read the prologue in the sampler (It has the prologue and the first chapter), and while the translation isn't the same as Crunchyroll's (Catastrophe vs Apocalypse, for example), it seems fine to me, and flows a bit better than CR's subs do. And most importantly, to me, at least, it's consistent with the manga's translation as well (I can accept if 2 different companies have different translations for some things, but differing translations within a company bother me).

The biggest thing people will likely have a problem with is that "villain-in-glasses" from the anime has been translated as "Machiavelli-in-glasses" in the manga and LN. Without knowing where my Japanese manga volume is right now (I just moved), I can't comment on which is the more accurate translation.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
@partially I am only 26 with about 50.000 € to my name (which is nothing) and even i have to go to a tax Consultant so none of us should do their own taxes but people like him... You know with assistants, editors and whatnot else and they can call their own should know better.
Even the Joker is afraid of the IRA so there are no excuses.
Dou you all know why Al Capone went to jail? Due to Tax Evasion and nothing else.

Well, I'm pretty sure tax consultants don't have to go find another tax consultant to do their taxes for them. But i know what you mean. The bigger your name, the more likely you'll need a tax consultant to make sure you don't miss anything. They're pretty easy to find, and they look forward to this time of the year. (Well, the ones in the United States do anyway.)

As for Al Capone, tax evasion was the only thing they could get evidence for. Because he always had someone else do the racketeering work for him, those guys got arrested instead of him because the paper trail came to a dead end every time just before Capone. Even for the tax evasion charge, the only evidence the FBI could get was his ledger, which showed he was paying far less tax relative to the amount of money he was receiving, and it didn't say where the money was coming from.

mgosdin wrote:
Even if you are a trained accountant working professionally in field things can, and will, go horribly wrong. Trust me on this, I was one of those trained tax accountants.

Wait, so does this mean a tax accountant does have to seek help from another tax accountant?

GrayArchon wrote:
So, Mamare posted a statement:

http://tounomamare.com/img/info/info.pdf

I haven't translated it myself, but people are saying that it says things have been straightened out. Back taxes paid, investigation closed, etc.

Ah, that's good to hear. I imagine tax agencies in most countries would be rather forgiving, since so many people would do their taxes wrong by mistake rather than maliciously.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Hopefully Mark Gosdin is right, but I find it really hard to believe that you don't know you owe several hundred thousand dollars in taxes. I can understand small amounts, but not several hundred thousand dollars.

He's making a ton of money, I presume. That, and according to the article, it's over the course of about three years. Assuming he owes a roughly equal amount of taxes during each year, he would owe about US$83,000 per year. This is a perfectly normal amount for someone who gets six-figure sums from royalties.

I didn't know Log Horizon was that big that he gets that much from royalties over three years though.

partially wrote:
@residentgrigo, not saying no. My post was more an observation that people always seem to think that tax is fairly simple, even when they are employing others. I see people all the time doing their own tax returns even for incredibly complex stuff, trying to save money. They really should know better. Tax accountants can be expensive, but it is far better than the fines you get for evasion. Whether Mamare Touno was legitimately evading tax, or stuffed his own taxes up, remains to be seen.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that programs like Quicken aggressively advertise about doing your own taxes quickly and efficiently. And around this time of year, I'm hearing a lot of talk from people saying they want to do their own taxes.

I've worked at a donation center during tax season--it peaks around now, even though the deadline for deductions through donations is December 31st, which shows how clueless people are about doing taxes. (There's an even bigger peak towards the end of December though, so the majority of people know at least that much.)

Since these donation receipts are entirely handwritten, and the donation centers don't keep records of what they've donated, it makes me wonder if some of these people I hear about are intending to do some form of tax fraud. That is, you can easily write more stuff onto the receipt, add zeroes, and all that jazz. Some of these donors will try to write their own receipts (which I have to stop and they get angry over that) or even steal blank receipts (I've stopped a couple of people from walking out with our entire bundle of receipts--they get REALLY angry over that).
VDZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The biggest thing people will likely have a problem with is that "villain-in-glasses" from the anime has been translated as "Machiavelli-in-glasses" in the manga and LN. Without knowing where my Japanese manga volume is right now (I just moved), I can't comment on which is the more accurate translation.

The Japanese nickname is '腹ぐろ眼鏡'.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Damn them taxes! Who wants to pay to give corrupt politicians and bad government an easy luxury life, but its an evil you have to deal with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3