• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Love Story!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
This last scene is what had me sold on the whole of buying this series. I mean I can understand the creepiness of it all, but to me I did not expect it so I almost busted myself up laughing so hard. I saw it as comedy for the sake of comedy. Still has me laughing hard thinking about it. Wink
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The final scene only work because it is played straight (and there will be more such humor).
I just looked up that Kikuko Inoue played second fiddle in every anime ever. That is one crazy list! Her debut was in the year i was born and she is as old as my mother. Hm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I think the real fun of the kiss was the fact that the series hinted heavily at Sunakawa liking him. A real abrupt cruel end to the shippers (not that they would stop).

Not really. I don't ship them at all, but what you've seen so far in the anime is only the tip of the iceberg. Whether it's romantic love or something else, Suna's feelings for Takeo run very, very deep. (To the point where in volume 7 spoiler[even Takeo asks Suna if he "like" likes him, and Suna very suspiciously sidesteps it and doesn't give him a straight answer.]) So it's not just silly fangirls being stupid or whatever people think.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
A quick note about Episode #7:

The Battle of Mount Tennō (also called the Battle of Yamazaki) is the battle where Toyotomi Hideyoshi's army fought against Akechi Mitsuhide's, leading to the latter's defeat and possible death (it is rumored he survived the battle and lived under the pseudonym Tenkai).

In today's Japan, that phrase (Tennōzan) is sometimes used as a colloquialism to symbolize pressure (time-wise), or an important event.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Very nice review.

One minor quibble though.
reviewer wrote:
Being in a relationship can be distracting. That's why Takeo had to stay away from Yamato while he trained. It can get in the way of more important goals.

Takeo did not stay away from Rinko because he wanted to focus on training for the match. Obviously, his having to attend practice every day precluded their daily after-school meet up. However, after seeing the not-well-lit and deserted place where she was waiting and hearing not only the angry howl of a dog, but a "beware of gropers" warning sign, concerned for her safety, Takeo told Rinko not to wait for him after practice anymore.

Unfortunately, Takeo did not explain his concern to Rinko, which led to her anxiety about whether he still liked her, which thankfully, as you mentioned, Suna allayed.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
For me this episode marked what I started to feel in volume 2-3: romance burnout. Yamato's voice really grates on me in general and the cute couple doing cutesy things and being in love is starting to bore me. I appreciate that the manga and show side-step a lot of contrived drama based on misunderstanding (God bless Suna) but they gotta pull some conflict from somewhere.

I'm hoping the next episode (based on the title) is going to focus on the Suna chapters they skipped over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 is the best by far to me at this point. Takeo forgot he told Yamato to not wait for him by the time he found out she thought he wanted her to stay away. A simple misunderstanding like this is the basis of an actual relationship experience. Being in a long distance relationship, where even after many years I still have that single minded focus on my partner, makes me very happy to run into cute relationships like this. All the sweetness helps to make me feel the thoughts still matter despite how long they`ve been there.

Didn`t mean to sound like I am against fujoushi or anything I just found it to be a cruel way to introduce their first kiss for those fans. I have no doubt Sunakawa will be eventually complicating his relationship with Takeo.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to watch episode 6 and loved it...except the forced kiss. The manga kept it brief, light, and funny. More of the usual gag of Suna having to remind him "dude, you're too close" and "um, no." Smile

The anime took it much further to the point that it went beyond funny, at least for me, to disturbing, particularly with the plastic wrap. Yes, Takeo can be dense, but for someone who hates to see anyone hurt, I just couldn't picture him going that far, especially nearly suffocating Suna with the wrap much less forcing the kiss on him and making him scream. It felt more odd when he's been Mr. beat up perverts on the train and "I'll wait until you are an adult" with Yamato and wouldn't even hold her hand. Respecting his girlfriend's body and being clear on consent to even hold hands with her but not his best friend who clearly said no? Just couldn't see it.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The way I saw it as far as consent on that scene was since they have been friends so long he doesn`t think about it as much. As a little kid there are less boundaries and he probably has never stopped seeing his Relationship with Suna that way. I can understand being a little too focused on a task to notice what others are saying. The wrap though was definitely a horrible idea.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This episode was unexpectedly serious, but I don't mind, I prefer this kind of drama over the forced on episode 4 for example, this really makes shine the relationship between the characters without going overmelodramatic. The previous episode didn't work that much with me, it was cute but 100% constant positivity can get a little tiring (and I agree with octopodpie that Yamato's voice is a little too high-pitched), here the conflict remarks more how they are with each other, it makes their flaws more apparent (while also lovable for them) and I thought this was as adorable as the first episodes, so this was one of my favorites.

One thing the review I think missed is the focus on Takeo's thoughts about growing up, strength, parents, etc. I never expected this show to introduce a coming-of-age theme, but given the result I'm glad, it gives more depth to Takeo to both himself and his relationships with all the characters, and that made the whole content much more cute. If the show is going to be more ambitious, you are welcome.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
the bara fanservice was good too, glad to see they went there, I got a few friends who are watching this show for that reason.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
For me this episode marked what I started to feel in volume 2-3: romance burnout. Yamato's voice really grates on me in general and the cute couple doing cutesy things and being in love is starting to bore me. I appreciate that the manga and show side-step a lot of contrived drama based on misunderstanding (God bless Suna) but they gotta pull some conflict from somewhere.

Feeling it here myself. The series has just been getting worse for me, it's far too sweet. That whole issue with yamato wanting to hold hands and stuff just made me roll my eyes. Of course the series wouldn't go all the way and give the girl a serious issue. The tone of the show and how it tries to push takeo is really annoying too.

Has yamato baked something in every episode so far?
SHD

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:
Of course the series wouldn't go all the way and give the girl a serious issue.

If you want that there's a ton of other manga in this genre (and their anime adaptations) where every character has serious issues. Personally I find the lack of serious issues angst in Ore Monogatari refreshing.

But yes, I also think that the Takeo/Rinko romance is pretty boring. They're two really good people who both really love each other and trust each other, and it's obvious that they're not going to break up or even have any serious conflicts any time soon. Which is why it's good that we have Suna. Even in the manga his chapters are the ones that are interesting.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Personally I find the lack of serious issues angst in Ore Monogatari refreshing.

Completely agree. The absence of the stale teen-angst makes this series fantastically exuberant breath of fresh air. Combined with adorable characters, belly-laughs and genuinely touching moments Ore Monogatari!! completely blows anything in recent years out of the water.

Here's hoping Takeo&co will continue to go from strength to strength like True Men would do!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Yep, I too am vibing on all the positivity. I get why some people would find it boring or cloying, but right now it's working for me. Will I feel the same throughout the shows entire 2-cours run? Dunno, guess I'll find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11