• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - False Hopes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

As far as Nisekoi goes - What's the deal with Shaft that bugs you? Did the CEO run over your dog or something? It's odd to see a studio get lambasted - but I will say that the adaptation of the manga is pretty spot on - and maintains all the little touches the mangaka had put in there, so it feels faithfully animated as opposed to the studio doing its own thing.
Naw, its nothing like that. I just don't like Shaft's particular animation style. I usually can't really write off an entire company because they usually have many different directors but since almost all of Shaft's works are by Shinbo and I find the all of his visual flourishes and long dialogues exhausting I know not to watch their works. Shaft can be a pretty polarizing studio for many people. I never read or had any interest in the manga anyway. On the plus side I like the Claris openings.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
kguillas wrote:
Now I really want to hear Chitoge's mickey mouse impression. I remember a lot of hilarious moments from Nisekoi season one, but I don't remember that one... Which episode/approximate time(?) is it? I'd love to see it again.

Haha, it was only a couple seconds long, but it made me laugh so hard. Episode 12, ~14:30.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I swear I see Nisekoi everywhere right now. It has been on so many shelf lives before.

Well, it's being released a handful of episodes at a time, so that would explain why it's on so many Shelf Lives.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Well, it's being released a handful of episodes at a time, so that would explain why it's on so many Shelf Lives.

It seems like only yesterday that every anime show was released 4 episodes at a time. You got the box with the first disc, and it came with a T-shirt that you could never, ever wear in public.

(Not only because of the half naked lady, but also because it was a child's large.)

When I was a kid, the first show I remember being able to buy all at once was Escaflowne on VCD. 2 episodes a disc, which are still sitting in DVD cases that I decorated back then with ads from Newtype, so that when you lined them all up, they showed Hitomi.

My parents refused to buy me a VCD player just so I could watch anime, so I had to buy a VCD Boot Disc for my Sega Dreamcast... the good old days, right?

Edit: fixed broken quote tag.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
tobeast777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean it in a bad way but I've discovered reading shelf life that the shows I think are shelf worthy are never shelf worthy in this column. So I pretty much watch the stuff you don't like, because I probably will.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
tobeast777 wrote:
I don't mean it in a bad way but I've discovered reading shelf life that the shows I think are shelf worthy are never shelf worthy in this column. So I pretty much watch the stuff you don't like, because I probably will.

Honestly, that was how I felt when Erin use to write Self Life. If she didn't like something, there was a high chance that I'd enjoy it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
There's always Railgun S2 where Kuroko's screentime and thus her antics get cut down quite significantly. Hell, her endeavors towards Mikoto were comparably restrained.

that's cause of the sisters arc which had to be shown.and there is the index series where she is almost non existent other than the daihasei festival and the remnant arc. also kuroko non stop thoughts on trying to get rid of that troglodyte aka touma kamajo.

Quote:
I might have to canonize Kuroko as one of my least favorite anime characters of all time.

i wouldnt necessarily say that. sure she definitely takes the whole "man hating lesbian thing to a whole new level,however its a necessary evil. the same with saten always flipping uriharu's skirt to take a peek at her panties. and to be frank the series wouldnt be as funny without that fool.

She's kinda the same boat with DBZ's Hercule Satan. Annoying and least liked as hell, but necessary to have around.

Also if you think she's the least favorite anime character of all time, she's nothing compared to Nina Einstein who'll put her to shame ten weeks to sunday when it comes to being the least liked anime support character of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Quote:
I might have to canonize Kuroko as one of my least favorite anime characters of all time.

i wouldnt necessarily say that. sure she definitely takes the whole "man hating lesbian thing to a whole new level,however its a necessary evil

Please show me this strange alternate universe where a terrible, offensive, and out dated portrayal of homosexuality is considered in some way, shape or form "necessary".

I mean, if you think that's funny and/or arousing...fine. That's fine. I think it's terrible, but you're free to do that.

Just never tell me that's it's something that's needed.
Stratum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps if there's a good thing to come out of this growing harem, it's that the characters will realize how silly they were to pin their feelings on something as fleeting as an old childhood memory.

Technically, this only applies to Chitoge and Marika. Kosaki's feelings came first, and she only learned about Raku's pendant later, so it's just a coincidence. She's also the only one who isn't being forced to date Raku or anything in order to prevent a war, which is why it's a little bit more difficult for me to root for the other two.

As for the Railgun review, I agree with Kuroko being a problem, though I can at least tolerate her more then the reviewer it seems, but the remainder of the review I mostly disagree with.
Quote:
The characters are flat and visually indistinguishable.

All the characters little resemblance to each other, or characters from other shows, so I'm not sure what you mean by "visually indistinguishable" here.
Quote:
They never question why so many men resort to crime – their actions are framed as evil, and our heroines' just

They talked about why people join skill out, or why people turned to the level upper and whether or not they were at fault for doing so. Harumi Kiyama wasn't portrayed as evil, and Mikoto even expressed an interest in helping her.
Quote:
while the police force is manned by vigilante middle schoolers. (Maybe it saves money on prisons? Getting arrested by Kuroko seems like adequate punishment for most crimes.)

While referring to a police force as vigilantes makes no sense, the actual police force is Anti-Skill. When Uiharu caught a hacker she reported it to Anti-Skill and not Kuroko.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Quote:

i wouldnt necessarily say that. sure she definitely takes the whole "man hating lesbian thing to a whole new level,however its a necessary evil

Please show me this strange alternate universe where a terrible, offensive, and out dated portrayal of homosexuality is considered in some way, shape or form "necessary".

I mean, if you think that's funny and/or arousing...fine. That's fine. I think it's terrible, but you're free to do that.

Just never tell me that's it's something that's needed.

well i'm afraid it is. without her from time to time, the series definitely would have been admittedly boring . kinda the same boat with DBZ's hercule satan as a posted a while back. while both characters are insanely annoying and should be given the worst death possible, both in a way are necessary to have around to give the series and some characters some meaning. especially for kuroko's case cause if she wasnt around it would then at times be only about mikoto and her possible crush of touma which would drive the haters of index up a wall to no ends. and kind of a double standard if you ask me cause just like suguha/lefa, their disliked in their series and the otaku community want to see less of them as much as possible , but are welcomed to no ends in fanart hentai doujins. especially kuroko since as i posted puts the whole man hating lesbian aspect like there's nobody's business, which makes her and saten pickings for yuri fanart doujins and "others" doujin types.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
If merely removing something like that (or just changing it to make it less offensive), is all it takes to make a work "boring", necessary to give the work "meaning",then maybe it was never meant to leave the basement of the writer's parents.

And you keep bringing up comparing Kuruko to Mr. Satan...

You're taking one character who could be said to be an offensive portrayal of a group of people who regularly face genuine, real world discrimination, and comparing it to...a buffoonish comic relief.

I really don't think you understand why people are feeling offended!
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I do have a question about Nisekoi. Was the audio track 2.0 or 5.1?
Stratum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
If merely removing something like that (or just changing it to make it less offensive), is all it takes to make a work "boring", necessary to give the work "meaning",then maybe it was never meant to leave the basement of the writer's parents.

And you keep bringing up comparing Kuruko to Mr. Satan...

You're taking one character who could be said to be an offensive portrayal of a group of people who regularly face genuine, real world discrimination, and comparing it to...a buffoonish comic relief.

I really don't think you understand why people are feeling offended!

I sort of figured that Kuroko was something of a parody of Yumi from Maria-sama ga Miteru. In both cases you have a girl with pig-tails, goes to a school for 'elegant young ladies', who's obsessed with her "onee-sama"(who is famous at that school) and dislikes any guy who gets to close(though it isn't man hating). Yumi even starts teleporting in the opening of season four(possibly as a joke directed back at Kuroko, or just a coincidence). Regardless of whether or not my theory turns out to be true, Kuroko is still a little too over the top and I can understand why people dislike her or find her offensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3