• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli's Suzuki: We Wanted to Adapt the Parasyte Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Remember, Ghibli keeps the themes, but they make a lot of changes in their adaptations that suit them better.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
I sometimes forget Anime News Network was around in 1999. Is this the biggest time difference between an ANN article referenced and the ANN article doing the referencing?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
I am, by no stretch of the imagination, an expert on Studio Ghibli. However, I would say there is a difference between "violence" and "gore". Parasyte to me fits more into the "gore" category, whereas Ghibli seems comfortable with cogent "violence" - violence that is part of and necessary to the plot without going for real shock value.

I do think that the themes and a lot of the plot are in keeping with those Ghibli usually works with, so it is a story up their alley. That being said, I didn't have a whole lot of problems with the Madhouse adaptation, so unless Ghibli made a "perfect" adaptation, or took to changing huge swaths of the story, I don't know that I'd personally have a particularly strong interest as a production. As an event, sure; "Studio Ghibli to release Parasyte adaptation" sounds like an event worth seeing, but as a production I don't personally have a desire for it or high expectations it would have been appreciably better.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Souther wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
It's funny that no one ever mentions how Ghibli were involved with the Devilman films.

A while ago, I saw a clip of the 1987 OVA and thought it looked very good for its age. I guess that explains why, I never knew that until today.

It is probably not worth mentioning since they have done outsourcing for lots of shows over the years. For some reason In-betweening is commonly outsourced.

Though I didn't see any mention of them in the credits for any of the OVAs. If were involved I imagine they did the backgrounds, which do look very nice, even if a bit to static.

Ah, correction guys I'm wrong. Just found a upload of the whole film and checked the creds. The name was ToroToro. Which I mistook for Totoro. Thing is they don't mention them in the Eng creds, so you refer to the Japanese creds. Darn after all these years I've been believing that mistake. Ah well. Sorry about that. Well, now I learned something.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
(also surprised that Hollywood wanted to make a movie of it).

It's not that surprising, David Cronenberg made an entire career out body-horror movies. Plus, Parasyte was probably more than a little inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing.

Basically, it's totally in the wheelhouse of something that Hollywood would do, so much so that I'm surprised they haven't done anything with it already.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse made a perfect adaption without changing anything major from the manga. I doubt Ghibli, or anyone else could do better.
UtsuhoReiuji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Personally, I prefer Mamoru Hosoda's and Satoshi Kon's films. Ghibli is overrated in my opinion.

enurtsol wrote:
Remember, Ghibli keeps the themes, but they make a lot of changes in their adaptations that suit them better.

Such as toning down the gore, most likely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2