• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking to purchase a display case.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
I asked this question 11-ish years ago, then saw another related thread from 2013 (which only provided an IKEA link), but I figure I'd get a fresh perspective. Anyway, a friend of mine went on a DC figurine shopping spree and he needs a cubed display case to keep them covered, so I told him I'd try the forums to ask if anybody knew of a place to get one.

Here is a pic of the collection. Not sure what the exact dimensions are between the surface of the shelf and tallest figure, but if you need measurements, I can always get 'em.

Any ideas/suggestions on where to get a good case?

Thanks in advance.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell from that picture what size they are, but my go-to suggestion for the 4"-ish figures (which these are probably larger than) is beanie baby cases, which can be gotten for cheap and stacked. If you wanted to display them individually, they might fit length-wise, but I dunno.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Tallest figure (Raven in the back) is 10". Do the BB cases go that high?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
It looks as though he has enough figures to use one of those Ikea cases you mentioned earlier. Those are about the cheapest free standing cased you will find. Furniture quality cases run from $300 up.

With the number he has now, one or more aquariums might do the trick. Inverted if it has a glass bottom or with a piece of glass cut to fit the top. Basically be inventive. Home stores like Lowe's or Home Depot sell cube shelves designed to hold baskets. A piece of glass in front turns it into a display case. Lowe's will cut glass or Plexiglas to size for you and have a variety of fittings which will hold it in place.
Shelf units designed for CDs/DVDs are about the right depth for those figures. They can be found, inexpensively, at places like Best Buy. Again, if he wants to keep dust off a piece of glass or Plexiglas fastened in front will do the trick.

Also check for used. With one exception all of my cases came used. Most are former store fixtures. Check out consignment stores, antique stores and flea markets. Also check for stores going out of business. I got several cabinets when a Teddy Bear store closed.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ikea is still the best value
and you live in frisco, lol

a new store is called nebraska furniture mart
never been there but I hear its big
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I linked this thread to my friend. He said he'd check out IKEA some time. Although, he said he might be more inclined for an aquarium tank, instead, since everything is already laid out like he wants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1