• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Would have been buried under all that rubble. Unless Nao was around the whole time it was removed she wouldn't know either way.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Unless Nao was around the whole time it was removed she wouldn't know either way.

When they hold a funeral for someone it is very rarely kept a secret as to whether the deceased's remains are present or not. (regardless of whether it is open casket). Remember the police were involved investigating the incident, and there also such a detail would hardly be surpassed. Normally. When did you ever see a news report about a collapsed building that did not mention the number of bodies recovered or missing?

Unless there is a cover-up at some level. However I have a hard time imagining that if there was that Nao would not catch on to it. We'll see.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Is that what he was doing? I thought he was going to roll a joint.

Boy, I fail at drugs.

Yeah it should be cocaine. It was white powder. A joint is dark green.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
When they hold a funeral for someone it is very rarely kept a secret as to whether the deceased's remains are present or not. (regardless of whether it is open casket).

90% of anime funerals I've seen only involve a picture of the dead (such is the case here). I don't know if Japan always cremates their dead or what, but it seems normal for no body to be on display.

Besides they could also go with the "crushed beyond recognition" excuse.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I know people were warning viewers that Jun Maeda loves to kill off characters, but I *really* didn't expect them to kill off the little sister. And I gotta agree with those of you speculating that she's not actually dead, just declared dead, and (most likely) the evil scientists are having a field day investigating her "collapse" powers.

It was a depressing episode, but it was also fun (in a macabre way) watching Yuu go all evil again. Nao cares about him getting addicted to drugs, but not if he pokes some guy's eye out? Oookay, then.

I also thought he had marijuana at first, 'till someone pointed out it was coke. That's pretty hard core.

I think the mourning lady at the funeral was his estranged mother. I think they had said that their parents weren't dead-just divorced and relinquished custody to the uncle (who didn't show up at the funeral). It was pretty clear that his sister was all he had, and that she kept him from going off the deep end.

One last point--I thought he would confess to the ex-girlfriend that he didn't actually save her life and just set up the whole situation in the first place. Kind of disappointed that he didn't.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I think the mourning lady at the funeral was his estranged mother. I think they had said that their parents weren't dead-just divorced and relinquished custody to the uncle (who didn't show up at the funeral).

I was thinking that might be the case, but I couldn't remember what they said about their parents, i.e., if they were still alive, and it seemed odd that they wouldn't come to her funeral if they were.

I think he was just too deep in his grief to bother with telling her the truth (he could barely remember who she was). If she'd come to him later (had that been possible) in his kill-'em-all phase, he probably would have just to be cruel.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

It was a depressing episode, but it was also fun (in a macabre way) watching Yuu go all evil again. Nao cares about him getting addicted to drugs, but not if he pokes some guy's eye out? Oookay, then.

Well she probably does care, but what can she do in that situation? Her power is useless against a group of enemies and she isn't Wonder Woman.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
Why did Nao allow it to even get that far? Why didn't she stop Yuu when Yuu used his powers to break out of his apartment? Hmm... maybe she thought that Yuu needed to vent some of that frustration. Nevertheless, kind of silly that she just watched when Yuu was picking a fight with those delinquents. She had opportunities to stop Yuu many times over before Yuu went on his dango eating rampage.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
That ending felt like a bit of a cop-out to me. To take it that far, and to then just sugar coat it before moving on to seemingly pretend it never happened is just a bit too much of a stretch. I wonder if it will be mentioned next week, because I'd be a little disappointed if he did all that, only to completely go back to normal, consequence free, 5 minutes of screentime later.

Also, I wasn't 100% on the drugs scene either. I thought it was coke, from the rolling up of the receipt, but I wasn't 100% and I felt a bit stupid asking. Even if you have to imply it to meet broadcasting regulations, that could have been slightly better done.

Cam0 wrote:
Why did Nao allow it to even get that far? Why didn't she stop Yuu when Yuu used his powers to break out of his apartment? Hmm... maybe she thought that Yuu needed to vent some of that frustration. Nevertheless, kind of silly that she just watched when Yuu was picking a fight with those delinquents. She had opportunities to stop Yuu many times over before Yuu went on his dango eating rampage.

I think we're supposed to believe they genuinely were attackers, but perhaps she didn't really see what was going on,
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
We will have to wait a week for what happens next episode. If it will be like Angel Beats, which I will continue to use as a source, we might get a light hearted spoiler[fishing] moments. Or we might get the story of a spoiler[brother having to hopelessly watch as he sees his younger sister who had a zest for life slip away]. Well they sound too unlikely to possibly be what might happen.

It wasn't fishing! Anime cry

Episode 7

Anime cry I cried. Ayumi was super full of life that this was heart breaking. Sure I see that there is a chance this could be a situation where Ayumi was moved somewhere secret, telling everyone she was killed, but that does not change that this was highly emotionally charged. Ayumi has been the one true light in his life, without her of course he just fell to pieces.

I did feel really happy when I figured out that them giving him a salad meant that Nao was actually following him the entire time, that she was not going to give up on him. She bought him back from the dark.

And we some Angel Beats in this episode, well when dealing with a death. Also I think I have created a more completed list of an aspect each episode with Angel Beats:
Episode 2: find out heroine's past
Episode 3: operation with singer at the front
Episode 4: baseball
Episode 5: glasses guy spoiler[has muscles]
Episode 6: something bad is going to happen
Episode 7: spoiler[little sister dies, hero is directionless]

On a final note. Sure, complain about the show, but I was hit on an emotional level.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
That ending felt like a bit of a cop-out to me. To take it that far, and to then just sugar coat it before moving on to seemingly pretend it never happened is just a bit too much of a stretch. I wonder if it will be mentioned next week, because I'd be a little disappointed if he did all that, only to completely go back to normal, consequence free, 5 minutes of screentime later.

We will have to see how they handle his depression in the following episodes. Smells and taste are very strong tools that can be used to snap momentarily snap someone back to reality. I did not get any feeling that they were going to pretend that it never happened but as I said we will have to wait for the next episode to see what happens.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy that this latest episode is the first episode, since the first episode, where the show hasn't felt like a crappy show and a good show bolted together and just felt like a good show. Not great, but good at least.

The episode burned through a lot of capital too, calling in all sorts of details left dangling from the first two episodes all at once.

The most interesting bit, to me, is how close it gets to straight out establishing a relationship between Nao on Yuu.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
where the show hasn't felt like a crappy show and a good show bolted together and just felt like a good show. Not great, but good at least.

I'm sort of curious as to what you mean by this but it is an interesting way to put it.

My reaction has been that Yuu started out as a real dickhead character, then was somewhat reformed perforce by Nao. I had thought at the beginning of this episode that his sense of loss might improve him and I certainly felt sympathy for him but he stubbornly returned to being a unreconciled dick again. Granted his victims seemed to somewhat deserve comeuppance in some way but that doesn't excuse his actions or his attitude. His sister would have been so disappointed to see him.

Yet Nao let him wallow for a while, then seems to have a firm hand on him again.

All in all both are pretty interesting characters. Much better range than we usually see in anime.

I think this anime has been good-plus from the start.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
^

Sorry, I kind of continued a thought from the review thread without thinking about how that wasn't posted in this thread.

My thoughts are that it felt like a lot of clever, solid writing was done but then there were gaps that needed to be filled and Jun Maeda was just plain out of clever. So you end up with things like Nao's genuinely clever plan to entrap Yuu but also her terrible plan with the pit trap to catch the flying dude. The show makes it seem clever by virtue of letting it work, but it's just dumb luck the guy happened to jump down in that particular place. This cheapens Nao's characterization, which is unfortunate.

The slice of life stuff suffers pretty bad from this. Some really good character interactions were written and then it feels like boredom set in and the decision was made to just fill in the cracks with generic crap. So we get the scenes in the supermarket, but then we get repeated, forced jokes that weren't even funny the first time like the "such a turn off" gag.

And, unless some revelation comes later to make it valuable, episode 4 is the exact opposite of episode 7 - an episode where every second is wasted.

So much of this is taste, obviously. I don't think the show would feel so divided against itself if I liked all of it, though even if I did I'm still not sure the show would feel even - the pit trap is a good example here because it wasn't so much that it annoyed me like many of the jokes do, it's just hard to justify putting it at the same level as her better plans.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
1) mostly moster-of-the-week series, not a continuous story -- huge drawback of this show;

2) main lad's sister is drawn having club-feet illness, which is not really that wide-spread as almost all anime suggest just become some one with fetish for that once decided it is cute and every one else copies since then;

3) idea in all anime that "seriously wounded" character should have cute bandage on his/her cheek is super funny, it is hard to take storytelling seriously after seeing that;

4) child maniac killer in episode 6 is ridiculous overboard in story writing;

5) sudden turn into tragedy in main story line does not fit this silly show at all, it looks like farce, and main lad was turned into insane maniac;

6) the meaning of "Charlotte" title will be probably explained by the end of this project, because for now it is unclear.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:45 am; edited 5 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 16