• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Why is the new girl dressed like a cow?!

I'm probably reaching in my ignorance, but could it be a pun on her being the Saint of Blood? Very Happy

Blood = 血 (chi - though I think she used a different word)
Milk = 乳 (chichi)

Hypothetical maker of garbs: "You are now the saint of blood."
Girl: "Do I get a cool outfit where I dress up like a vampire or something?"
Hypothetical maker of garbs: "Even better. You dress up like a cow."
Girl: Shocked

Meanwhile the saint of dairy dresses up like a leech.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
SPECULATION about the inclusion of the Saint of Blood in our merry band of crazies:

Maybe the demons have found a way to cause a crest to be created semi-legitimately.

Basically, we don't really know the mechanism by which a Brave is determined. It is *said* that the Goddess creates them, but how, exactly, does she go about it? Apparently, she simply picks the 6 strongest people on the continent -- that's what is commonly believed, anyway. But what if the selection process was largely or entirely autonomic (yes, that's not a mis-spelling)? And what if the demons found a way to trigger the process even when there have already been 6 Braves chosen?

After the normal "create 6 Braves from the most powerful people in the land" process, the demons simply make the process think that only 5 Braves had been created, so it selects an additional Brave (the 7th most powerful person in the land), and that they can do this as many times as they wish.

If the above is true, then all of the Crests are legitimate crests, and all of the Braves have the protection necessary to enter the Land of the Howling Demons, and they all think they're legimiately chosen Braves.

However, in the case of Nachetanya, if the above were true and she ended up being one of the seven most powerful people in the land (she need not necessarily have been the 7th most powerful), in her case, she *did* know what happened because the Demons told her and made sure that *she* would be one of the 7 most powerful by eliminating those who were more powerful than she was, then using her to set up and set off the trap so that she could create havoc and destroy any sort of unit cohesion among the Braves. Actually killing any of the Braves would've been a bonus, but so long as they couldn't trust one another, the mission would be deemed a success.

I'm sure there could be other reasons for there to be yet another Brave. I did mention before that if someone had the ability to create one Crest, then they could create multiple Crests. And now we see that thought borne out.

I hope they make another season of Rokka someday, because it's been a lot of fun watching things play out. I'm rating this Very Good; it would've been excellent if the animation was better, but the story was very solid and the characters interesting. I'm glad I watched it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad theory. Smile I did find it interesting that while all of the Braves have their flower on different body parts, Rolonia has hers where Nacho's was/is. That doesn't seem like a coincidence or that they ran out of unique locations.

So far we've seen left and right hands, front (2) and back of chest, and right shoulder and leg. Does this suggest Braves with left shoulder and left leg Crests will be showing up? Very Happy

(idle speculation, so if you know the answer from source material, please don't reply to this at all)
Badge304

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
What I never understood was if there are only six actual true braves, then why was Flemie known as a brave killer. If a brave gets killed does another sprout up to replace them?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
@Badge304

Flamie was killing potential braves before the selection was made. Presumably once they are selected no additional braves will be made. If they would be replaced automatically there would have been no point in bunny girl trying to kill them.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Badge304

Flamie was killing potential braves before the selection was made. Presumably once they are selected no additional braves will be made. If they would be replaced automatically there would have been no point in bunny girl trying to kill them.

There would still be a point: to take it to extremes: what if so many people were killed that the 6 strongest left were a bunch of geriatrics and maybe some folks with serious chronic illnesses? Is there some cut-off point below which the Goddess would no longer consider them candidates to become Braves, or does she simply take "the 6 strongest" regardless of who they are? They could continue to dilute the "brand name" of being a Brave by killing as many of the most capable people as possible.

I'm willing to bet that the whole selection process mechanic is going to be addressed at some point down the road, because I don't think it is as straightforward as we (and the average citizen of the story's world) have been led to believe it is.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

There would still be a point: to take it to extremes: what if so many people were killed that the 6 strongest left were a bunch of geriatrics and maybe some folks with serious chronic illnesses? Is there some cut-off point below which the Goddess would no longer consider them candidates to become Braves, or does she simply take "the 6 strongest" regardless of who they are? They could continue to dilute the "brand name" of being a Brave by killing as many of the most capable people as possible.

I'm willing to bet that the whole selection process mechanic is going to be addressed at some point down the road, because I don't think it is as straightforward as we (and the average citizen of the story's world) have been led to believe it is.

My take is that Nacho had all the braves inside the barrier and away from the outside. If they would be replaced outside the barrier she couldn't control them and her best plan would to ferment as much hate and discontent as possible and stall.

I agree with you about the selection process. The anime has information holes you could drive a bus through. Just as an example, the Demon King's people seemed have a much better idea of how the braves were selected and when. They also knew all the details about the barrier while the braves knew very little. The whole plot to create the locked room thing was set up weeks if not months before the braves were selected.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The fiends have been through this song and dance a few times already, so it's natural for them to have a better idea of things than humans who only have second hand knowledge to go by.

I'm curious about something. Nachetanya told Goldof that she would have told him the truth if he hadn't told her something. What, specifically, is she refering to?

Oh, and who's up for writing a Flamie version of this?
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm curious about something. Nachetanya told Goldof that she would have told him the truth if he hadn't told her something. What, specifically, is she refering to?

I was wondering about that too. I don't think it was referring to something we were supposed to already know about. Though going by the way Goldov blushed, I can get a general idea...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Though going by the way Goldov blushed, I can get a general idea...

That's what I thought at first, but it's not like he confessed to her anything. She already knew how he felt without him saying anything.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
Though going by the way Goldov blushed, I can get a general idea...

That's what I thought at first, but it's not like he confessed to her anything. She already knew how he felt without him saying anything.

My guess is that he said something that went beyond a mere confession of love. Though I'm really not sure what it could have been that would have made him a poor choice as an ally for Nachetanya - normally I'd think that those sorts of declarations of devotion would make him more trustworthy and reliably manipulable.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
My other thought was that maybe Goldov is still a fake brave and that comment was a hidden signal for him to play along. His face is constantly hidden afterwards and while it might be because he's depressed it does make him look pretty suspicious.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It would be helpful if Goldov was the additional fake brave. If he is a real brave he is going to be fairly useless until he gets over his infatuation and his betrayal. This would be especially true if he has to go up against Nacho in the future.

Could he really cut her down if he faced her?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Goldov also being a fake wouldn't make much sense, unless both him and Nach ignored each others nature as fake. Nach had multiple conversation with him without anyone around where they discuss the possible identity of the fake.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Goldov also being a fake wouldn't make much sense, unless both him and Nach ignored each others nature as fake. Nach had multiple conversation with him without anyone around where they discuss the possible identity of the fake.

Yeah, I realised this, but perhaps they didn't know they were fakes. At least, Goldov didn't realise they both were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21